What's new

WHV Announcement: Looney Tunes: The Platinum Collection Volume 3 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Robert Crawford said:
I thought Warner doesn't care about toons? ;)
just look at my avatar and you get the idea of what was promised and not delivered, looking fwd to the next LT set, and hope it doesn't fall along the wayside

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
dana martin said:
just look at my avatar and you get the idea of what was promised and not delivered, looking fwd to the next LT set, and hope it doesn't fall along the wayside
That's why studios don't like to do chats because if they don't release a title as originally planned, people accuse them of broken promises not delivered. Crap happens within the studio structure. Not much different than other large corporations as company politics, bean counters putting their foot down and marketing downturns affects titles release plans.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Robert, it wasn't an accusation,

I understand that the world changes everyday, the second volume should have been out some time ago, and after lots of discussion on this very forum and many other boards WB went silent, then there was to be an answer, to the fact that the three toons were missing. all the work, was shelved. Not broken promises, per say but how to marked a cartoon that is 50 years old or older, that is a product of its time, that is questionable in our overly politically correct world, and mot have it show up on the shelf at Walmart and parents in an uproar. Trust me I do understand, it just that even with the sound off, it's great comedy and timing, it work on the most basic level, always makes me laugh. At this point I would be happy if they released that set as a WA.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Robert Crawford said:
That's why studios don't like to do chats because if they don't release a title as originally planned, people accuse them of broken promises not delivered. Crap happens within the studio structure.
And fans would hound them for ONE idiosyncratically obscure cartoon. Each.
I remember when Warner used to do fan chats here, thinking we would all applaud their latest corporate announcements, until it turned into a fan-hounding mess of "Sorry, we do not own Ewoks, and have no plans for Rubik, the Amazing Cube."
Oh, and the Censored Eleven, of course. Show of hands, how many were going to ask for that next?
After that, their chats pretty much devolved into "We cannot answer that question, senator" announcements of "you'll take what we give you and like it!"

(You're still angry-fan nagging them about a Tom & Jerry cartoon, dana? They LIKE Tom & Jerry, because they can market that one, we're talking about their totally imagined fear, trauma and resentment toward the Looneys!)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The only single cartoon I could really get worked up over would be Coal Black. That is one of the greatest cartoons ever made. Well, come to think of it Mouse Cleaning has some spectacular Irv Spence animation... but I wouldn't want to hold up the release of all the other good Tom & Jerrys for just that one.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Ejanss said:
(You're still angry-fan nagging them about a Tom & Jerry cartoon, dana? They LIKE Tom & Jerry, because they can market that one, we're talking about their totally imagined fear, trauma and resentment toward the Looneys!)
bigshot said:
Well, come to think of it Mouse Cleaning has some spectacular Irv Spence animation... but I wouldn't want to hold up the release of all the other good Tom & Jerrys for just that one.
no to the first response, not fan nagging, as I have as much love for LT, and Popeye and want to see these releases continue, I have LT P1, LT P2, And the Mouse Collection, just waiting on 3

they could have released the set as they were going to with the three missing toons at this point. and made the three available as a download, a lot and I mean a lot of toons have gotten overlooked, by all the studios, see any Heckle and Jekyll anywhere on dvd or blu? its a tough market.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
They could also release the set without two cartoons and not make those available at all. If they aren't interested in putting those two cartoons on blu-ray, I don't know why they would want to make them available as downloads.Re: Terry-Toons: Warner Bros is more on top of things when it comes to classic films than Viacom.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Back to the LTs, the evidence based on what we've seen - no new Super Stars on the horizon, no more Platinums after this one (which didn't turn out to be a collector series after all), no new Golden Collection-style series - seems to suggest WHV is largely done with the catalog. I suppose we can assume double dip DVDs and perhaps Blu-rays will continue as they always have, but overall this is quite disappointing.

It would be nice if WHV could at least squeeze out two or three new volumes of Golden Collections made up of the 150 or so films that have been restored since that effort ended, according to Ken's calculations. It would allow them the chance to fix the miscropped cartoons for the very audience that would appreciate it. That, and the appreciation that would come with being able to pick up only those films and not double dips (for folks like myself who have resisted the Supers Stars, etc).

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
You know, I could understand stuff like Bosko being deemed unmarketable. But there are still dozens of shorts with the major stars (Bugs, Daffy, Tweety and Sylvester, Road Runner, et al.) that have yet to be restored, and would likely sell well. You'd just have to make them seem more desirable than the avalanche of double dips.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
bigshot said:
They could also release the set without two cartoons and not make those available at all. If they aren't interested in putting those two cartoons on blu-ray, I don't know why they would want to make them available as downloads.
They already tried that when Vol 2 was announced which appeared ready for mass production, package art revealed and everything. They had every intention of omitting them, just didn't forsee that there would be the sort of backlash that convinced them to mothball the set indefinitely (did anyone?).

The GC line seems its met an early demise, but I think they'll try to repackage these cartoons along with others into a new set somewhere down the line , obviously excluding the offending cartoons. Maybe not on blu-ray though. Or maybe it will crop up in an overseas region.

Supposedly they're planning to get the Gene Dietch's on blu-ray in the mean time. Hope so, but I'll believe it when I see it.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I can live without Dickie Moe on blu-ray. I bet the T&J set minus the two cartoons reappears as soon as the smoke clears.

ThadK

Second Unit
Mouse Cleaning is one of the very best—if not the best—Tom and Jerrys. The Looney Tunes series is designed to avoid the "problem" titles, whereas this new Tom and Jerry series was designed to put all of them out. If they're going to chicken out, buyers would do well to shun the new releases.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Mouse Cleaning and Casanova Cat had already been omitted from the Spotlight Collections, the family-oriented discs with off-the-shelf transfers and edited cartoons. EVERY other Hanna-Barbera entry in the series was part of them.

I agree with Thad; To omit them from the collector-oriented series with newly-restored transfers and strictly uncut cartoons is nigh-inexcusable.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Ejanss said:
And fans would hound them for ONE idiosyncratically obscure cartoon. Each.
I remember when Warner used to do fan chats here, thinking we would all applaud their latest corporate announcements, until it turned into a fan-hounding mess of "Sorry, we do not own Ewoks, and have no plans for Rubik, the Amazing Cube."
Oh, and the Censored Eleven, of course. Show of hands, how many were going to ask for that next?
After that, their chats pretty much devolved into "We cannot answer that question, senator" announcements of "you'll take what we give you and like it!"
I dislike this mentality. So, there was nothing wrong with the live-action fans who "hounded" Warner about "idiosyncratically obscure" B-movies and Bowery Boys films in those chats?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ken_Martinez said:
I dislike this mentality. So, there was nothing wrong with the live-action fans who "hounded" Warner about "idiosyncratically obscure" B-movies and Bowery Boys films in those chats?
There wasn't as much a sense of "What does Warner actually OWN?", and once the discussion started winding down, new fans who wandered in would start asking them for anything.
Earlier on in the discussion, the chat would tend to get the folks who would ask about RKO titles, or whether Brothers Grimm could be restored, or actual titles that Warner had some decision-making process in and/or had some actual reason for not working on yet. Then, it would start to devolve into Criterion-Santa-Claus time where the new kids would pull out all their geek lists, as if anything in the vaults was just a-sittin' on the starting line, ready to go out.
Some studios could deal with it, the bigger Warner got, they started losing the people who could, and the PR folks who were sent out ran out of ways to say "We have no plans". (Which was their way of saying "We don't have it", or "Nobody else would want it".)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
There are so few collections of classic cartoons on blu-ray, I can't really work myself up for a boycott just because they aren't complete. Give me some Tom & Jerry, give me some Tex Avery, some early Mickey Mouse, Fleischer Popeye... I won't gripe if they aren't complete. The difference in image quality between DVD and blu-ray is massive. The format is made for cartoons... lots of cartoons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks