What's new

WHV Announcement: Clint Eastwood-New BD Releases & DVD (1 Viewer)

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
My questions is why is everyone assuming it will be on one single layer Blu-ray disc. I know the only two disc one was the Dirty Harry double feature but since most of the previous films that had double features were under or around 2 hours per film and since both Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes are more like 2 1/2 hours long each then wouldn't WB decide to release them on 2 separate discs if they thought that a single would not be enough? Additionally there is no confirmation yet as to how many discs this will be so all of this is pure speculation.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ People are assuming they will be on one DUAL-layer BD. Strictly because that is how some (all??) other recent WB Double Feature BD releases are. (That double-sided vs single-sided thing is a red herring that doesn't pertain to WB BDs at all.)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Both Movies Unlimited and Amazon lists Kelly's Heroes/Where Eagles Dare Blu-ray as being on two (2) discs. This of course makes me happy.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Me too, thanks for the info update! When I put it on my amazon wish list info was sparse. BTW, I watched both titles on DVD just after my last post. I was rather impressed with how both looked (upscaled by Oppo BDP), been a while... I found them pretty damn acceptable, so I kind of went off my "crammed onto too small a BD bandwagon" as I figured they could still look pretty good if the DVDs were a reasonable basis. It would be nice if the audio for KH was improved a notch or three, that was the only standout weak point for me (mostly in the first hour IIRC, lots of dialogue pre action).

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Generally speaking, a 50 GB disc can fit about four hours of 1080p video and still look fantastic. See: Gone with the Wind.

4.5 to 5 hrs may be pushing it, so i would not be surprised to see WB release these with each on their own disc.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ That would be REAL nice, a BD-50 for each. Well, assuming the quality is commensurate. I did check the times, remember the DVD combo time was almost exactly 5 hours (IIRC seconds over) including the credits etc.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes are both getting single disc editions in the UK on June 7th.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Eagles-Blu-ray-Richard-Burton/dp/B0030A0ZDE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1268755968&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kellys-Heroes-Blu-ray-Clint-Eastwood/dp/B0030A0ZE8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1268756020&sr=1-1

I don't believe Warner Bros. has ever region locked a catalogue title, so importing may be an option for those who aren't interested in the double-bill.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'd like to get an individual Blu-ray release of The Dead Pool, since the other four Dirty Harry films are available in two-packs. But there doesn't seem to be any such release here in the US. I see that there is a region-free UK release, but it's my understanding that while Blu-ray HD is a worldwide standard and should play on any player, UK Blu-ray discs sometimes include standard-def extras in PAL, which won't play on a US player. Does anyone know whether that's the case with The Dead Pool? Will everything on the disc work fine in a US Blu-ray player?

I notice that the disc's specs appear identical to those of the Dead Pool Blu-ray from the US Dirty Harry Blu-ray boxed set. Since it's a region-free disc, might they even be the exact same disc? Anyone know?

Thanks.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by cafink

I'd like to get an individual Blu-ray release of The Dead Pool, since the other four Dirty Harry films are available in two-packs. But there doesn't seem to be any such release here in the US. I see that there is a region-free UK release, but it's my understanding that while Blu-ray HD is a worldwide standard and should play on any player, UK Blu-ray discs sometimes include standard-def extras in PAL, which won't play on a US player. Does anyone know whether that's the case with The Dead Pool? Will everything on the disc work fine in a US Blu-ray player?

I notice that the disc's specs appear identical to those of the Dead Pool Blu-ray from the US Dirty Harry Blu-ray boxed set. Since it's a region-free disc, might they even be the exact same disc? Anyone know?

Thanks.
Warner authors all their discs in the US, with NTSC for SD content, no matter the territory they are going to. Often the US and the UK discs are the exact same disc image. And Warner titles are always open region. It's a perfectly safe buy, though I can see them eventually releasing it stand alone in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks