What's new

WHV Announcement: A Star Is Born (1976) Blu-ray Book (1 Viewer)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Good to see this.
This film is extremely and unfairly underrated. It is certainly not as good as the classic 1954 version, but, hey, it doesn't have to be. The basic plot may be the same but many other things are simply quite different--different time and place.
Some plots are so elemental that we can expect to see them over and over. Romeo and Juliet, and A Star Is Born.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
by the way, elvis was streisand´s first choice for the male role but elvis´s manager- the legendary colonel tom parker- refused steisand´s offer.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Elvis wasn't interested but didn't want to turn down Streisand. She had pitched it to him backstage in Vegas and was very anxious for his participation. He instructed Parker to make so many demands that he would be dropped from the running.
He was not in a good place at that point in his life. Depression and pills had taken over. Sound familiar?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
That's a shame. While Elvis was no great shakes as an actor, it might have been a more compelling film with him.

Trentrunner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent Mumford
I love this movie. It's the greatest vanity production of all time, and contains my favorite credit of all time:
Ms. Streisand's wardrobe...............................her closet

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
JohnMor said:
That's a shame.  While Elvis was no great shakes as an actor, it might have been a more compelling film with him. 
He could rise to the occasion when challenged with an intelligent script and a good director. Check out KING CREOLE and FLAMING STAR.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Day 1 for me. Saw this in 70mm in 5 cinemas in london with some Dolby and non Dolby encoded 6-track prints.
The DVD was pretty good but they removed the original WB logo and First Artists logo and replaced it with a Time Warner logo.
I think also Ms Streisand might check this out as she did with the line up and 70mm prints on release.
This also was the 1st Film in Dolby Stereo Optical Surround .

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/324333/whv-announcement-a-star-is-born-1976-blu-ray-book#post_3986605
He could rise to the occasion when challenged with an intelligent script and a good director. Check out KING CREOLE and FLAMING STAR.

Well, of course, that let's out A Star is Born.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
DP 70 said:
Day 1 for me. Saw this in 70mm in 5 cinemas in london with some Dolby and non Dolby encoded 6-track prints.
Was the 70mm version cropped or pillar-boxed? I'm assuming that it was a 70mm blow-up -- wasn't the the '76 Star Is Born shot spherically on 35mm and framed for 1.85?

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Bob Furmanek said:
Elvis wasn't interested but didn't want to turn down Streisand. She had pitched it to him backstage in Vegas and was very anxious for his participation. He instructed Parker to make so many demands that he would be dropped from the running.
He was not in a good place at that point in his life. Depression and pills had taken over. Sound familiar?
That´s not correct! Elvis want to do the part desperately but The Colonel made demands that the Streisand camp refused to fulfill.
All of the so called "Memphis Mafia" guys and Priscilla also said that Elvis was in a very bad mood after Colonel Parker didn´t accept the offer.
They said that Parker destroyed Elvis´s life by not accepting the offer.
That could have been a new challenge for Elvis and maybe changed his life away from drugs.
Your statement that Elvis instructed Parker not to accept the offer is pure nonsense and not right!

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Bob Furmanek said:
Mr. Pacino said:
That´s not correct! Elvis want to do the part desperately but The Colonel made demands that the Streisand camp refused to fulfill.
All of the so called "Memphis Mafia" guys and Priscilla also said that Elvis was in a very bad mood after Colonel Parker didn´t accept the offer.
They said that Parker destroyed Elvis´s life by not accepting the offer.
That could have been a new challenge for Elvis and maybe changed his life away from drugs.
Your statement that Elvis instructed Parker not to accept the offer is pure nonsense and not right!
Well now you've got me curious! Could either of you provide a source for the conflicting statements you've made?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65781&hilit=star+is+born#p978387

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Speaking as a Streisand fan who saw this at the Ziegfeld Theater in NYC, God this was an awful movie. For anyone looking forward to this release I hope you enjoy it and it meets all your expectations.
I wish Columbia would open its vaults and release all their Streisand films starting with Funny Girl.and the Way We Were. I would love to see the political stuff put back into the Way We Were so that the ending made more sense. However the director, Sidney Pollack didn't want it in so I guess that makes it unacceptable to include

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Garysb /t/324333/whv-announcement-a-star-is-born-1976-blu-ray-book#post_3986943
Speaking as a Streisand fan who saw this at the Ziegfeld Theater in NYC, God this was an awful movie. For anyone looking forward to this release I hope you enjoy it and it meets all your expectations.
I wish Columbia would open its vaults and release all their Streisand films starting with Funny Girl.and the Way We Were. I would love to see the political stuff put back into the Way We Were so that the ending made more sense. However the director, Sidney Pollack didn't want it in so I guess that makes it unacceptable to include
On a magazine article detailing the Lawrence Of Arabia 50th Anniversary restoration, Sony's Grover Crisp has already said there will be a 45th Anniversary restoration blu-ray release of "Funny Girl"in 2013, so part of your wish is already on the way...Sony's also releasing restored blu-rays of "On The Waterfront"(via Criterion) and "The Last Detail" next year...

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Wow! Thanks for the update. Hope we finally get some cool extras like the full version of The Swan and a commentary track. 2013 will be the 50 Anniversary of Streisand's first record with Columbia now Sony Records . There will be a 12 DVD box set released in 2013. 2013 is also the 45th Anniversary of Funny Girl. Since Columbia Pictures is also part of Sony hopefully there will be more to come.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Speaking of the finale being filmed live, I love when Barbra messes up the lyrics. The look in her eyes is classic. Then she turns around for a second and then goes on. If you didn't know the song, you'd probably never even notice. But if you do, it makes for a very real moment. I don't think much of the movie in general, but I think she fares well in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks