What's new

WHV Announce: Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if this Ultimate cut adds anything other than the Black Freighter stuff?

And are there any new supplements, other than the commentaries? Seems like most of this stuff has been available in one format or another somewhere else.

I'm still tempted to buy, because I love the movie, but I was hoping for more original supplements. And I don't really have much interest in seeing TofBF cut back into the film.

--Jefferson Morris

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Hopefully the coupon will be sent out earlier. The flyer does say that the movie will be released in December, so it could be out of date.

Most of the stuff is available separately, but I didn't get any of it. The inclusion of the "Under the hood" and the Complete motion comics makes this a must own for me.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll probably give this one a shot. I thought the DC really improved the theatrical version, and I'm curious enough to see how the Freighter plays cut into it since viewed on it's own, it's a bit clunky.

I seriously can't believe more people aren't bothered by the idea of more material being added into this film. It was seriously forty minutes too long in director's cut form... Mon dieu...

I don't like this movie in the same way that I do like movies that are the right length. I'll be back for the Funny People Director's Cut, trust me.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It didn't feel long when I watched it on BD. However, I'm not sure cutting in more footage is a good idea. I'll probably rent this ultra-long cut just out of curiosity. I think cutting in "Black Freighter" footage is really going to be problematic when it comes to the movie's pacing; Even the graphic novel's pacing was affected when the focus switched to the Black Freighter story, and that was in a medium that was more suited for parallel storytelling of that nature. I don't think the filmmaking medium is very well suited to the kind of parallel storytelling that occurs in the graphic novel.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Please stop thread-crapping, Ben. If you didn't like the movie, then move on so that others can discuss it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gents,

Please respect our guidelines on how to treat other members
here.

If you have a problem with another member bring it to our
attention rather than confronting someone in this forum area.

I'm not thread-crapping, I'm not a troll, I'm just a HTF member who is morally against adding in more footage to a film I already feel is too long. I'm putting up a front to the never-ending "ultimate more footage triple dip" versions of films that Orson Welles would never had changed after they were done!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ben Cheshire

I'm not thread-crapping, I'm not a troll, I'm just a HTF member who is morally against adding in more footage to a film I already feel is too long. I'm putting up a front to the never-ending "ultimate more footage triple dip" versions of films that Orson Welles would never had changed after they were done!
I know you're not a troll but, generally, the place for criticism about the movie is in the Watchmen thread in the "Movies (Theatrical)" section.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

Then why does your post smell like shit? You've gone well beyond making your point. Besides, there's no such thing as a film that's "too long," there are only movies with bad pacing.

Actually, you're probably right about choosing an announcement thread to discuss picture Travis. Will remember for future. Still making teething mistakes.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Thread-crapping is when you come into a thread just to hate on something you have no intention of watching, which is exactly what's happening here. You hate the film--to a point that you want revenge(?!) on it--and for some reason are trying to convince others to hate it. That's textbook thread-crapping.

There's other threads, such as the one in the film section that others pointed out, that you can discuss your problem with the movie itself. I understand your frustration with "director's cuts," and even sympathize with it to a certain extent, but again that's a thread for the film section.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
OK, last time.

On the previous page, Ron Epstein made it very clear how to deal with a problem post. Saying that it "smell like shit" was not part of the recommended approach. So here's what we're going to do.

Ben Cheshire, please move on to another thread. No further posts are necessary to acknowledge compliance with this instruction. The evidence of compliance will be the absence of any further posts.

As for everyone else, please cease responding to or commenting on Ben's posts in this thread. Again, no further posts are necessary to acknowledge compliance with this instruction. The evidence of compliance will be an absence of posts.

Anyone who cannot not comply with these instructions will be removed. Anyone who has an issue with them can PM me. Thank you in advance for your cooperaton.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, has anyone seen this ultimate edition? I'm holding off til Christmas, but very curious to read others' opinions. I see that Amazon has discounted this substantially.

Reviews, please!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was waiting for this, but I might just get the regular director's cut. I haven't seen the movie at all yet (I do enjoy the book), and if this new cut is just the Director's Cut with the TotBF stuff added in, well, I'm not sure that the TotBF material has anything to add to the story in its movie incarnation.

What do fans of the book who've seen the movie think (no spoilers, please)? Does the TotBF stuff really run 40 minutes? And is it fully animated, live action, or "motion-comic" style?

(I suppose this really belongs in a disc review thread, but I don't know if there's going to be one.)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

I was waiting for this, but I might just get the regular director's cut. I haven't seen the movie at all yet (I do enjoy the book), and if this new cut is just the Director's Cut with the TotBF stuff added in, well, I'm not sure that the TotBF material has anything to add to the story in its movie incarnation.

What do fans of the book who've seen the movie think (no spoilers, please)? Does the TotBF stuff really run 40 minutes? And is it fully animated, live action, or "motion-comic" style?

(I suppose this really belongs in a disc review thread, but I don't know if there's going to be one.)
The impression I got was that it's just gonna be the already released "motion-comic" (in part or in whole) edited into the director's cut. No idea how that's gonna play out.

I decided to just go for the "regular" director's cut upon release myself -- and maybe pick up The Black Freighter motion-comic separately from the used market or bargain bin at some point. I doubt the ultimate edition version improves the film at all, and I don't really want the film to be much longer than it already is (as I have a hard enough time finding time to watch one of many quality long movies and hate the idea of splitting up a viewing).

_Man_

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
I thoroughly enjoyed the theatrical release, both in the cinema and on Blu-Ray

I also purchased The Black Freighter on DVD when it was first released, watched it once and traded it in at an exchange shop

I found the special features on TBF to be more interesting than the feature itself, and I am saying that as a Watchmen fan that first read the graphic novel weeks after it was released in the 1980s

I like the length and pacing of the theatrical release of Watchmen and am not sure if the inclusion of the animated TBF would disturb this

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I loved the theatrical and director's cuts but I definitely wonder if the movie can handle having The Tales Of The Black Freighter incorporated. That being said, I'm definitely going to pick this up to see for myself. Even if I hate the new cut, I can't wait to hear the commentary and I never bought The Black Freighter, Under The Hood or the Motion Comics so I have no problem spending the $31 that Amazon has the Ultimate Cut for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks