What's new

Who's the greatest all around hockey player in the NHL? (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Yzerman, no question. Not just for his skills, but for so many things that do not show up on the stats sheets: his leadership by example, his hockey intelligence, his love of the game, his flexibility, his unselfishness, his loyalty, and his longetivity.
My favorite player since Bobby Orr.:)
Jon

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>Really? How many Hart Trophies did Daigle earn before fading into obscurity? How many Cup Finals did Daigle play in?

I'm no Lindros apologist but to compare him to Daigle, who never amounted to anything, is absurd.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Lindros and Daigle both played for my beloved Flyers.

They both stink.

Lindros had a few solid seasons, but became a crybaby b*tch with a glass skull.

Daigle was just a skirt-chasing weenie.

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

One of my most memorable hockey memories was last year when the Philly fans were giving Tie Domi hell in the penalty box. Tie started to squirt water at them over the glass. Then one guy attacked and fell into the penalty box with Tie. The refs had to come in and break that up before something "bad" happened. That poor hockey fan might have gotten beat up pretty bad even though I remember the guy being no small man in any way. That was just one of the coolest things I had ever seen on tv hockey.

btw,

Philly will lose to Boston in the playoffs if they play against each other. That is my predication. I'm just stiring the pot a little.

I do hope that the Eagles pound the Bucs this weekend though. That was Tony Dungy will be fired. Bill Parcells will be the next coach, and he'll take Bledsoe as his QB. Then the Patriots will have some draft picks to work with for the future. That would just be perfect for NE fans.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
My comparison to Daigle is strictly along the lines of relative expectations for the two. Daigle didn't have as high a set of expectations to live up to so the RELATIVE level of disappointment is less than it is with Lindros.
Where were you when they were touting Daigle as the next Lemieux like every other player coming out of Quebec who has any sniff of talent?

Patrick

David Oliver

Second Unit
SPeaking of hockey, I just picked up the DVD of the HBO special Do You Believe in Miracles: The Story of the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team. It is bare bones (feature 60 mins, chapter selection, language selection), but my God, if I don't get a huge lump in my throat every time I watch it.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>Where were you when they were touting Daigle as the next Lemieux like every other player coming out of Quebec who has any sniff of talent?

DavidY

Supporting Actor
{flame suit on}Forsberg is a fine talent (one of the world's best), but I think that he is a dirty player IMO....I can't stand him.{flame suit off]

Hugh,

Rudy Poeschek went to my high school. So did another heavyweight, Todd Ewen (ex of St. Louis Blues I think).

Dave

Luc D

Second Unit
Forsberg, without a doubt. He's also one of the hardest player to defend against. I remember Pronger talking about how he was impossible to hit when in full stride. He skates with his head hunched between his shoulders so he looks like he's looking down all the time, but of course he isn't (something Lindros was never able to learn it seems).

Any doubt of how Forsberg could dominate on both ends I think was answered in last year's Conference Semi Finals against the Kings. Sakic was out so he played about 25 minutes a game. I don't know who else remembers but that was one of the single greatest individual performances I have ever seen. No one could knock him down. Simply amazing!

Unfortunately his style of play is catching up with him. I actually have a good friend who spoke to him one night and he told her he only intended on playing about 10 years. So I wouldn't be surprised if he calls it quits soon.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
What part of that is so difficult to understand?
Jim, chill buddy. I actually agree that Lindros had/has more expectations on him than Daigle did since Lindros was supposed to be the "Next One" after Gretzky but I don't think he's a complete bust. Last time I looked he was still racking up points and Daigle isn't in the NHL.

Patrick

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
Sakic, Jagr, and Kariya are all one way (offensive) players. They're great but I wouldn't consider them "all around".

I would have to go with Forsberg, perhaps followed by Mike Modano for an "all around" player.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Jim,

No problem. I personally wish he was better too. Canada needs him to play well at the Olympics. There are many good teams fighting for the Gold.

Patrick

Hugh M

Second Unit
>>Hugh,

Rudy Poeschek went to my high school. So did another heavyweight, Todd Ewen (ex of St. Louis Blues I think).

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
If we are talking all-time, my pick is Messier. if we are talking present, I would have to go with Yzerman.

I disturbs me to here Phily fans that hate Lindros now. It took 10 year ro get back to the finals before Lindors came(87-97). I saw a poll recently that Philidelphia fans are the rudest fans, and besides for a few that I know, I would have to agree. You never saw Mess get booed coming back to the garden or Borque going back to Boston. Because some fans respect the game and the players. No matter who they play for.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Because some fans respect the game and the players. No matter who they play for.
Philadelphia fans have nothing BUT respect for the game(s). This town is full of knowledgeable and passionate fans who simply will not stand for whining, posturing, crybabyism or any form of bullshit. There's a LOT of backstory to the whole Lindros affair than just his on-ice performance, and I believe that Flyers fans are justified if they dislike the guy.

If a professional athlete wants to be respcted in Philadelphia, all they have to do is work their ass off.

Users who are viewing this thread