1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Who reads Premiere magazine??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Randolph, Oct 28, 2002.

1. John Randolph

John Randolph Stunt Coordinator

I got a subscription (long story), but have never seen even one edition of it. Is it good? What kind of articles, features, etc. does it have?

Thanks.

2. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

i have only received a few issues so far.....its not bad. I like the in depth interviews I dont see anywehre else. I cant really commment much on it tho....havent read tooooo much. some issues seem rather skimpy tho.

~Brent

3. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

I've been reading "Premiere" about 5 years now. In general it's an excellent magazine, with articles that are a bit more candid and well-written than other entertainment mags, and generally excellent photo layouts that don't pander to the lowest common denominator.
    The film critiques are well thought-out, they have a healthy section devoted to DVD reviews, and they also devote generous space towards obscure subjects and films. They also have an excellent feature (which I wish they'd do more of) where they dedicate several pages to the making of a classic film (including Nashville, The Godfather and Jaws, to name a few).
    "Premiere" is also home to the hilariously sarcastic film critic Libby Gelman-Waxer, which is a pseduonym for screenwriter Paul Rudnick (Addams Family Values, Jeffrey, In and Out). These reviews have a lot of biting humor and are always good for a laugh.
    My only complaint is that the magazine (as said above) is a bit skimpy sometimes. Remember too that they focus purely on films; so if you're looking for TV or music reviews, you're out of luck. Additionally, they sometimes devote a lot of pages to a subject that--quite frankly--doesn't merit it (the recent article on an actor's Russian-maffia-related murder was interesting, but seemed a bit out of place in this magazine).
    So to sum up: "Premiere" is a little less flashier than other entertainment magazines, but it well worth your time.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

What Kevin said.

M.

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

How about Entertainment Weekly? I used to get it. Never really read it tho.

What is a good mag for a movie buff? Ideally it would keep current with the industry but offer some kind of retro section or something, for older movies.

--
    Holadem

6. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I get EW, Premiere and Movieline. EW is just pop cultural mag and advertisement, Premiere is pretty decent. Movieline can be confounding at time for no good reason, but an okay read as well.