What's new

Who plays vinyl records here? What have you bought lately? (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Great stuff Lee.

I highly recommend giving III a spin. It is not said to be one of their best in terms on sound quality, but the 200g Classic does magic things on my table. I would also give a nod to "Presence", an under-appreciated gem.

I have I, II, III, IV, HotH, PG, and Presence. I am not planning to get the rest, but am exceedingly happy with the titles I own.

A word about II....by far my favorite Zep title, but not the last word in sonics. When this LP was tracked, you get the impression that the vU meters spent a LOT of time in the read.....lots of sweet sounding analog distortion, IMHO. every version of this LP tends to have that sound, and to me, it is what makes LZ II sound like LZ II.

Brian

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
My recent haul:

Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges, Side By Side, Classic Records
Talking Heads, Little Creatures, great condition
CSN&Y, Deja Vu, Tunes approved pressing
Eagles, Hotel California, Masterdisk
Miles Davis and The Modern Jazz Giants, RTI
Cars, Candy-O, one of my favorite covers
Dire Straits, Love Over Gold, Masterdisk

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Since we are talking about vinyl, can someone tell me what is available to clean LPs? I still have my Discwasher brush but ran out of fluid years ago. What can I use now? I want to transfer my LPs to CD but some of them are in serious need of cleaning.

Thanks.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You can order the "D4" fluid for your Discwasher online quite easily. That's what I use and it seems to work perfectly.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
A more expensive but better option are record cleaning machines by Nitty Gritty, VPI and ClearAudio. They use vacuums to siphon cleaning solutions out of the grooves for a pristine cleaning. I will eventually get a VPI 16.5 I think.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
A good friend lent me a PH3SE from Audio Research for an inhome audition. i cued up Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants. Incredible!

This is an RTI pressing on 180gram. Highly recommended.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
I just picked up a nice Japanese pressing of Pink Floyd The Wall. I've been on the lookout for a good mint-condition copy of that for several years, since I did the unthinkable back in '88 and sold a brand-new-only-been-played-once Japanese pressing of that one, among other Pink Floyd collectibles, in order to finance a motorcycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks