What's new

Who of today's stars will be the icons of tomorrow?.. (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
What stars of today do you think in say 20 years will be the next icons. When I say icons. I am talking about the likes of Jimmy Stewart, Katherine Hepburn, etc.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have wondered this myself. I've always found it interesting talking to my dad, who will be 78 in a couple months, about actors I have never heard of but who had a time in the film industry when he was my age. I wonder how I'll feel about having to tell someone about Lauren Graham when I'm 78?

Tough to predict who will be icons - who knows who will stay in the business that long?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I would say Tom Hanks (who is often compared to Jimmy Stewart. Like him or hate him, Tom Cruise will be remembered as an icon, and also his apparent eccentricities. If he blows up to outrageous weight, he could be like a Brando. Julia Roberts will probably be remembered as well. I think Philip Seymour Hoffman will be remembered as one of the greatest for pure acting ability.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Nicolas Cage
Jim Carrey
Russell Crowe
Tom Cruise
Daniel Day-Lewis
Johnny Depp
Morgan Freeman
Harrison Ford
Jodie Foster
Mel Gibson
Tom Hanks
Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Angelina Jolie
Brad Pitt
Julia Roberts
Kevin Spacey
Hilary Swank
Denzel Washington
Robin Williams

In the next 20 years, these are the cats who I think will be mentioned alongside greats such as Bergman, Bogart, Brando, Cagny, Davis, De Niro, Dean, Eastwood, Gable, Garbo, Grant, the Hepburns (Audrey and Katherine), Hoffman, McQueen, Monroe, Newman, Nicholson, Olivier, Pacino, Poitier, Pryor, Redford, Stewart, Tracy, and Wayne (The Duke!).

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
It's important to remember that there is often a disconnect between box-office stars of any given period and the stars remembered from that period. TIME had an article a few months ago on this precise subject with specific examples, all of which I have forgotten. Hanks and Gibson are no-brainers, though.

The article also discussed how the star system is changing, as new, younger actors do not nearly have the draw (this referring to demographics as well as BO) of the "old" guard. In other words, Dunst, Bloom, Depp, as compared with Hanks, Ford, Jimmy, Cary. Also the changing nature of the star and masculinity, how today's young actors are mostly of the 'pretty boy' type, whereas male actors of the older generations were either suave (Cary Grant) or hardcore (Eastwood, or Russell Crowe). Another idea they were throwing around was that with Julia Roberts on her way out, there isn't any sign of a replacement. Some very interesting ideas.

Regards,
Nathan

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Great list Terry, but I have to take exception with Angelina Jolie (whom I dislike) and Hilary Swank (whom I like). And DD Lewis as well (neutral) I think.

Were anyone on your list to stop performing today, they will still be named among the greats of our era 20+ years from now. But despite her well recognized (2 best Actress AA?) superlative abilities, I still think she hasn't quite made that "timeless" imprint yet. Well, I think anyway, and I love the girl to pieces.

Jolie defines "overrated" for me in just about everyway. She may be weird, offbeat, and a media darling, but hasn't done anything that will stand the test of time in my book.

Word is Witherspoon is it...

--
H

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Bill Murray (to add to the list).

Holadem, the same three stood out to me, despite their merit.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Bruce Willis will.

Jolie has the goods imo. whether she continues to act may be in doubt, but i think she has the genetics to age gracefully and the personality to shift into character roles.

Hugh Jackman is multi-talented and has at least one iconic role to his credit already. and he went from being an unknown to a fairly recongnizable name already in the span of what... 5-6 years?

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

EDIT: I just saw about Reese's new paycheck. (wow!) I guess that clears up that question.

Regards,
Nathan

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
I really do think Jolie will end up being considered an "icon". Whether it be for her acting or her infamous persona is the question.

I think Day-Lewis could be this generation's Olivier, the guy is that talented. I think Swank will ultimately put together a body of work so impressive that she'll have to be considered one of the best.

I could be completely wrong, but that's how I think things will shape up. I do think the people I listed will become icons, but I seriously doubt any of them will be held in as high regard as any of the great icons of the past.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Using Terry's list, and then playing with it, my own opinions are as follows. What makes the person have a long career?

1) Interesting personality or charisma, outside of film
2) Ability to sell a movie by themselves (character actors are loved by cinephiles, but they don't become legends)
3) Good roles, or one or two GREAT roles, in movies that define them
4) Play well to the audience as the audience ages (this removes teeny bopper fad actors)

Nicolas Cage - maybe, I become less convinced over time
Jim Carrey - most likely as a comic actor, I agree
Russell Crowe - yup (might need a good romance to seal the deal)
Tom Cruise - LOCK, he's the biggest star today, in terms of banking money
Daniel Day-Lewis - LOCK, not nearly the star, but too many defining roles, plus Oscar wins (look at the Mohicans thread for serious love on a 13 year old film)
Johnny Depp - LOCK (I would not have said that pre-POTC, but the film connected him to a lot of mainstream fans in a very big way)
Morgan Freeman - LOCK, no comment required
Harrison Ford - most likely, I still think his filmography is limited...but he has two iconic roles, and Blade Runner will live FOREVER
Jodie Foster - special case, as I believe she is ALREADY considered there (one of the very few who *IS*) EDIT: I believe she will be considered the equal of Hollywood greats, which is a much trickier question
Mel Gibson - LOCK
Tom Hanks - LOCK
Philip Seymour Hoffman - too early to tell, but it would be great...the guy even stood out in mediocre actor-proof stuff like Twister. Doesn't have the filmography yet, but probably will.
Angelina Jolie - Don't see it. She has a great love affair with the media, and her off-screen work is truly awesome, but her film roles are secondary to Angelina herself
Brad Pitt - Only if he can make a few more Soderberghs or Finchers
Julia Roberts - LOCK
Kevin Spacey - desperately need a hit, his career has been literally anorexic since his Oscar win (he was on fire then)
Hilary Swank - you'd think with two Oscars, she'd be a lock, but I don't think the mainstream knows her at all. not yet, at least. Still, two Oscars can't be forgotten.
Denzel Washington - LOCK
Robin Williams - probably a LOCk, but more for Robin Williams the comedian/actor than for any of his roles

So, it's a good list. I'd agree with adding Bruce Willis. I wish I could sell you Ed Norton, but he just doesn't have the filmography yet, and is keeping a low profile.

Other actors/actresses still working:
Dustin Hoffman
Al Pacino
Robert DeNiro
Meryl Streep

Or are we skewing younger???

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

To some extent, they can be...one actress who won two best actress Oscars (along with two other noms) 30 years ago was Glenda Jackson, but she certainly isn't remembered by very many people today. I also like Swank, but I agree that she isn't really known by the mainstream yet.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think you'd pretty much see which actors/actresses (with a decent filmography) passes the giddy "live in person" factor: who would have a hard time walking through a crowded airport, and not have that electricity run through the airport with whispers of "hey, look, so-and-so is there!"

I think Daniel Day-Lewis could walk through airports with relative anonymity.

There are fine actors who would not be accosted out in the public much, like Tom Wilkinson, Jim Broadbent (Oscar winner!).

I think to be remembered 30 years from now, you have to be talented and commercially appealing.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Great comments Chuck.

Hoffman, Streep, Pacino, and De Niro are already icons. I was assuming the todd was talking about the 40 and under performers.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i would disagree with this.
Peter Lorre is an icon imo.
as is Boris Karloff, Lugosi, etc.
Even Spencer Tracy is considered by a lot of people to be a character actor.

in the late 70s i would have thought Richard Dreyfuss would be a shoo-in, but sadly thats no longer the case.

Harrison Ford was probably my favorite leading man as a kid.
i thought he uber-cool even in things like Hanover Street and Force 10 so it didn't surprise me that he really took off finally with Raiders. Unfortunately given his limited range and rapidly advancing age, i think he becomes less relevant with each passing year.
i think he will be looked at the way we look at someone like Robert Taylor now.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

I don't agree. In terms of range and advancing age, you could probably say the same thing about Errol Flynn's career, but he's a lot better remembered nowadays than Robert Taylor. I think Ford's level of fame many decades down the line will be more like Flynn's is today.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
yeah, Raiders and Star Wars will ensure that.
Robert Taylor was probably a little too harsh ;)
Flynn however had a fairly sensational life, that Ford definitely lacks (thankfully, for him i think) and that was certainly one reason he has remained an icon
"in like Flynn"...

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Actually, I think he's the next Brando, with his oddities and reclusive lifestyle.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks