What's new

Who is the narrator for all the theatrical trailers of movies? (1 Viewer)

Matt MacFarlane

Stunt Coordinator
Every time I see a movie in theaters for, the same person is the narrator for the previews. But I have no idea who it is. Does anyone know who he is?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
It seems to me as if LaFontaine's output has declined over the last few years, but maybe not.
It was a pleasure to hear Keith David do the v/o for John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars. He's been all over the place these days, doing work for UPS, AT&T, TBS, the U.S. Navy....
DJ

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
"Destroy it...." , Ok not this again :)
I remember there was a doco on him a few years ago, he gets driven around in limo's and everything, and with a voice like that he may just be a hit with the laadies as well. ;)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I actually like his voice, it's the moronic text they give him that drives me up the wall ;)
One thing that annoys me is that whoever does the Spanish voice-overs for the trailers distributed in Latin America has taken to somewhat mimicking his tone of voice, with poor results. Anyone with an R4 copy of Titan A.E. can probably see and hear the Spanish trailer there. It's like... "I know I'm 20 years younger and not quite as subtle, but I shall mimic your voice, Mr. American voice-over dude."

Alan Benson

Stunt Coordinator
"Kill them all!"

[Edit: My apologies. That's not something the narrator says in every trailer. That's something the villian says in every trailer.]

Brad_V

Second Unit
Yeah, I remember a story on him a couple years ago. Rides from studio to studio in his limo and only spends 15 or so minutes at each place per day.

I don't know who those other guys are, but that was a great impression done of him on Mad TV awhile back when the guy turns his first date into a movie trailer voice-over.

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
"IN THE CITY, YOU MUST FIGHT TO SURVIVE"
"ONE MAN, ONE PURPOSE, ONE DESIIIIIRRRRREEEEEE!!!!"
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Don LaFontaine also does the whimsical voice for the NBC comedy stuff. The guy actually has an interesting range of character to his voice.
That "documentary" I think people mentioned was a episode of the TV series DATELINE, which did a feature on Don LaFontaine. He also did a spoof trailer for Dateline where he called Maria Shriver "Mrs. Arnold Schwarzenegger", just because he's so famous for saying Arnold's name in action trailers...
He has some trivia listed on IMDB:
He comes up every couple months around here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=30522
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&threadid=6205
And here's an article about him:
http://www.fadeinmag.com/kaye/feature.htm

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
I, like a lot of people though, can mimic Don's voice pretty well. But Pablo is phenomenal. I like when he does "Cholo Beach"(the Chicano version of Baywatch). "This week on Cholo Beach, Lupe gets caught in a drive-by."

I can never get tired of Don's "Movie Trailer Voice".

"In a world where every movie trailer begins with 'In a world....'"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
He's also the announcer, a.k.a. "Mr. Voice," for the Rick Dees Weekly Top 40. :D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed The Daily Show take on trailers a few weeks ago. One of the funniest parts was pointing out the use of an explosion to replace a curseword in a sentence.
"Get those mother..." KABLOOM! :) So sadly true.
I really think the trailer makers are just following each other's lead now. I think one person hear's him say "In a world", likes it, and then pictures him doing the same thing for their film.
Sort of typecasting him for the trailer scripts he gets now. I would expect that if someone would write something different and try to trailer a film differently, he could do it (and would be less of a joke at this point).
How nice it is to have Cate Blanchett doing the Two Towers trailer (for obvious reasons).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks