What's new

Who is a fan of James Bond soundtracks? (1 Viewer)

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Osato said:
I'm still needing a few radio spots for Thunderball (I have 1 from the 30th anniversary cd set and some double bill ones) and A View To A Kill on.. I do have 1 or 2 for Daylights and LTK.
There were 11 radio spots on the original Thunderball DVD. Also there is a rare one at the end of commentary track 2, where they are advertising a competition for 12 girls for the next film....1967's On Her Majesty's Secret Service!

Where did you get the later ones from? They seemed to stop including them after For Your Eyes Only.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
brioni said:
There were 11 radio spots on the original Thunderball DVD. Also there is a rare one at the end of commentary track 2, where they are advertising a competition for 12 girls for the next film....1967's On Her Majesty's Secret Service!

Where did you get the later ones from? They seemed to stop including them after For Your Eyes Only.
I never knew about the Thunderball ad spot in the commentary!!!

I wish I knew more about how to move the spots from the blu rays to create an audio file for iTunes.

Many of the radio spots I have picked up over the years. I really like including them on my 007 playlists on my iPod.

For whatever reason I have just a few of the double bills for Thunderball. I also am lacking A View To A Kill on as well. I have a couple for The Living Daylights and LTK.

It would be interesting to read an article or summary about the history of advertising for the Bond films with a spotlight on the trailers, tv spots and radio spots including formats, etc....

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Neil S. Bulk said:
My favorite Bond score is "You Only Live Twice".
Mine too. I'm also very fond of the theme songs sung by Shirley Bassey (Goldfinger, Diamonds are Forever, Moonraker).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm not into collecting film scores, but I have usually enjoyed the scores for Bond films. My favorite Bond song is "For Your Eyes Only."

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Listening to my 007 70s playlist at the moment. Diamonds Are Forever score..

The playlist contains Diamonds - Moonraker.

The Living Daylights, Octopussy and A View To A Kill are all favorites of mine too. LTK was ok.

I was so happy in the 90's when Rykodisc expanded and reissued The Living Daylights on cd.
The Living Daylights was the 2nd Bond soundtrack that I bought. The first one was for Octopussy, which was also the first Bond film I ever saw.
I picked up the original Daylights soundtrack on cassette tape. I finally bought a vinyl copy a few years ago so that I had Dr. No - LTK on vinyl.
Skyfall on vinyl was a bit too pricey for me to warrant a purchase.

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Daylights is one of my favourite scores as well and I was more than happy to discover the expanded CD. I'm always disappointed when the gunbarrel music is not on the original soundtracks, as so many of them have been. John Barry always has the ability to make his music timeless and not become dated unlike many of his Bond contemporaries and its a difficult thing to do when adding in synthesisers.

My first cassette was 1982's James Bond's Greatest Hits and I chose that instead of Michael Jacksons Bad. I must have been about 9 at the time so I was listening to Barry's amazing themes even though i'd only seen a couple of the films.

Later on I brought the 30th Anniversary LE even before I got a CD player - I just had to have it!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
brioni said:
Daylights is one of my favourite scores as well and I was more than happy to discover the expanded CD. I'm always disappointed when the gunbarrel music is not on the original soundtracks, as so many of them have been. John Barry always has the ability to make his music timeless and not become dated unlike many of his Bond contemporaries and its a difficult thing to do when adding in synthesisers.

My first cassette was 1982's James Bond's Greatest Hits and I chose that instead of Michael Jacksons Bad. I must have been about 9 at the time so I was listening to Barry's amazing themes even though i'd only seen a couple of the films.

Later on I brought the 30th Anniversary LE even before I got a CD player - I just had to have it!

I also had a Greatest Hits tape too! I used to listen to it at bedtime. I actually had only seen a couple of the films too. The collection I had went up to Octopussy.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
OHMSS seems to be one that everyone likes...I'll have to pay closer attention to the music when I next watch the DVD.People who are in their 20s or younger don't understand that film soundtracks were the only way most people could re-live a film before home video was available or affordable.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Back in the late sixties when I was 13 or so, I had a small, reel to reel tape recorder. I used to hold the microphone in front of the TV speaker and record the theme songs of my favorite shows. And I would think to myself, wouldn't it be great if they invented a machine that would record the sound AND the picture?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
MielR said:
OHMSS seems to be one that everyone likes...I'll have to pay closer attention to the music when I next watch the DVD.People who are in their 20s or younger don't understand that film soundtracks were the only way most people could re-live a film before home video was available or affordable.
Thunderball, YOLT, OHMSS and Diamonds Are Forever was a very impressive run by John Barry. All of those scores are amazing, IMO.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Listening to my 007 60s playlist at the moment. All of the 60s film soundtracks, plus radio spots.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Reed Grele said:
Back in the late sixties when I was 13 or so, I had a small, reel to reel tape recorder. I used to hold the microphone in front of the TV speaker and record the theme songs of my favorite shows. And I would think to myself, wouldn't it be great if they invented a machine that would record the sound AND the picture?
I did the same thing with an audio cassette recorder back in the early '80s. I recorded Star Wars off HBO on several cassette sides. I was about 11 or 12 and desperately wanted a VCR but they were just too pricey at the timeI know that years ago people with movie cameras would just film shows off their TV screen, creating makeshift kinescopes, I guess.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Interesting, but I have always remembered Diamonds as the 4th Bond film, coming before Lazenby’s turn. I had always thought that Lazenby was so poorly received that he was not invited to reprise the role.

Diamonds is one of my favorites and most watched Bond films.

I visited my brother in Las Vegas this year and I loved doing location hunting too!

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Day 1!
2 disc Die Another Day was my most played score from the last 12 months.
Can't wait to hear the opening bank escape in rich high quality sound!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Day 1!
2 disc Die Another Day was my most played score from the last 12 months.
Can't wait to hear the opening bank escape in rich high quality sound!

Agreed! This 2 soundtrack releases are about a year apart so hopefully tomorrow never dies is next!

These are fantastic releasss and I’m so thrilled to get another complete James Bond film score!!

Hopefully they will continue!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks