What's new

Who here imports? (1 Viewer)

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I just ordered my first import titles and I'm pretty stoked. I know people have been doing this for a while now but I just never really got in the game until now (monetary reasons mainly).
Here are the ones I got from xploited:
HD DVD T2 Steelbook (new German release)
BD The Island (UK)
HD DVD Total Recall (UK)

Couldn't pass up the good price on The Island BD even though audio is only DD.
I was also thinking about The Renaissance HD DVD and Starship Troopers BD but decided to pass for now.
What are some other worthwhile releases?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
The only imports I have so far are the French T2 HD DVD (DC and better PQ than the US theatrical cut BD), the UK BD of Starship Troopers and the UK HD DVD of Brotherhood of the Wolf (extended cut).

Haven't gotten around to ordering the UK BD of Almost Famous, probably this summer when titles start to dry up.

That's it.

The high cost of importing takes most of the fun out of it. Makes the average Fox BD seem like a bargain by comparison.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I've ordered the UK HD DVD of Brotherhood of the Wolf (but haven't taken time to watch it), and am stoked (and relieved!) to see that my pre-order of the UK HD DVD In the Shadow of the Moon is actually shipping, rather than being canceled by Channel 4. I don't expect to see a region A(BC) BD of that any time soon.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Just this week i made my first import order, ABBA: The Movie, and Capricorn One on Blu-ray. Got them for $66 total from Xploited Cinema. Not a bad price for imports. Since its a US company shipping was only $3. I am sure it would have been far more from Amazon UK.

This made me think of a question about imports. I know Blu-ray and HD in general is not PAL, or NTSC, but what of the standard def extras on Blu-ray titles. Will the extras play on US Blu-ray players and TVs?
For that matter will standard def PAL DVDs play on HD sets, if no region coding is involved?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I imported on occasion for DVD (mainly Asian films though), and I guess I might do that at some point for BD also, especially if the current release trends continue.

I'm still debating on whether to import Almost Famous on BD -- wish it came w/ both versions of the film, not just the extended version. I'm hoping Dreamworks will soon announce their plans for BD (and possibly make the Bootleg Cut edition of Almost Famous one of their first titles).

_Man_

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I sooooo want to get Band of Brothers but the price is so high on it. I need to find an extra 2 bills under my mattress to get that one. Any owners on there care to comment on the upgrade for PQ and AQ compared to the SD DVD?

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I bet AVSForum or TheImportForums will have better comments about it.
I've been wanting to import some HDDVD's for awhile and I figure I might as well get around to it. What might be BR exclusive here in North America aren't in other parts of the Earth. Good thing too cause I go over to my friends house to watch BR's on his PS3. For BD players, I'm waiting until the 2.0 profile players come out and are damn cheap in price. Oh, and I'll only buy the ones which don't have region coding on them. That's the thing I like most about HDDVD, zero region encoding. What's the point of owning alot of BD's if I don't have the player to play them on and have to use someone elses player to watch them? All about convenience, space and affordibility to me right now.
And I'm keeping my Oppo since I am a multi-region punk bizatch.:crazy:
One last thing, there's alot of praise for XploitedCinema.com. I'm about to order from them soon. Perhaps as an early or late birthday present to myself.
Next thing I'm going to upgrade are my speakers, then perhaps my TV and then a brand new other receiver. Gradual upgrading is ok for me. No big rush. My receiver is the Sony STR-DE598. Great 6.1 thingy for under $300...

AppleSpider

Agent
Real Name
Steve

Abba The Movies Bonus features play fine. I also have the German Director's Cut of Resident Evil: Apocalypse on Blu-ray and it's standard-def bonus features play without a hitch.

In regards to standard def PAL DVDs, I have a regular DVD player that lets me output either NTSC or PAL, regardless of what the disc is encoded in. So I chose to output PAL to my Sharp Aquos and it played it just fine.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Correct if I am wrong, but I believe that the (SD) extras are NTSC in Euro HD-releases...

There are some Euro-releases, though, where the "Disc 2" is "SD DVD" and it´s R2/PAL.

In Europe, basically all HD/SD DVD-players and TV-sets are "PAL/NTSC". So NTSC is a non-issue there..

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I do. I recently ordered and received Almost Famous on Blu-ray from the UK.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I do too. So far, I have the following:

BD:

Almost Famous: Extended Edition
Company of Wolves, The
Starship Troopers
Transformers: The Movie

HD:

Graduate, The

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks