What's new

Who hates shaving? (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
My brother and I joke that the skin on our necks is a soft as a newborn baby's ass. We both have heavy beards, and we'd love to shave every day, but we can't because of irritation on our necks.

The few key things that have helped me control the irritation are:
  • Never shaving against the grain. Going against the grain seems to encourage ingrown hairs. Going with it doesn't give you as close of a shave, but it seems less irritating.
  • Keep your face/neck clean. I use an exfoliating liquid soap once a day or once every other day. Many brands of various price are available.
  • Use an astringent, scent-free aftershave. Nutrogena, Clinique and others make astringents to be applied right after shaving, which burn at first but cool later.
  • Use a scent-free aftershave balm. I slap this on when I'm done. Nutrogena, Nivea and others make this stuff. Anthony Logistics (www.anthony.com) makes one made from marshmallow root which is expensive but very soothing.
  • Use a pre-shave oil. My feelings on this are mixed. I used to think it made a big difference but now I'm not sure. I was using the oil made by Anthony Logistics, but straight olive oil is probably just as good, and cheaper (don't laugh).

As you can see, it takes me about 2 hours to shave.
:D

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I guess I'm just lucky. I shave every day, but it doesn't bother me at all. I use a Mach 3 Turbo (blades last from 2-3 weeks on average, with a good shaving cream you can use the blades long after the lubricating strip runs out), and Gilette gel. Don't even bother pre-soaking, just slap some gel on and start shaving. Go with the grain to start, then against until I stop hearing the blade scratch against the hairs. Then I hope in the shower, rinse off, and. No presoak, no aftershave, and only one layer of gel, it's lubricating enough that's all I need. And I'm one of htose unlucky bastards that had to shave daily since freshman year of high school. Go figure.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The thing that kills me with shaving my neck is, the irritation doesn't happen until I start sweating. If I shave and just go to work (on the computer), I'm fine, but once I start doing anything physical and start sweating, my neck gets SO irritated. It gets so itchy that I just want to dig my nails in and scratch. :angry: Not only does it get red, but it gets raw and blisterry :frowning:

Mark Murtha

Auditioning
I may be late, but couldn't resist this.

I too hate shaving. Have to do it everyday or I get terrible stubble. Ok, at the end of a day I have terrible stubble. Anyway...

My hair is thick and I get red spots very easily. I love the close shave going against the grain, but it's hard on the neck.

My forumla - Alpha shave oil sometimes (it does seem to help) and then Neutrogena shave gel. Their shave gel is so nice. Using lately a Shick Extreme 3 disposable. I was using a Sensor excel but this has worked better. If I don't change the blade often I get lots of nicks, so I only get 3-6 shaves per blade and I won't try the Mach 3 line, too pricey.

Here's the kicker. After I shave I use rubbing alchol as my aftershave. Serious cleaning, and burning/stinging for about 30 seconds. After that, no problems at all. My face feels wonderful, even if I have the red spots or a small nick. Yep, good old rubbing alchol. It burns like the dickens, but after that your face feels awesome. And it appears to be helping with the red spots.

:)
Mark

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I'm with Eric, while I don't have course hair or stubble, I do have sensitive skin and HATE shaving, I have a goatee now, so I only have to suffer with my cheeks and neck, I am thinking about just never shaving for a while and see what happens, I do have some Cherokee Indian in me, so my beard and stuff grows in sporadic, so we'll see.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I used to get really iritated skin, especially around my throat, when I shaved. Once I started shaving in the shower it went away. I do the bulk of the shaving in the shower and touch-up after I shower, I don't even use any cream or gels. It works excellent, I usually get no irritation and my face is nice and smooth. Although I find myself getting a little lazy this summer and only shaving about every third day, at which time I usually look a little scruffy.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Well I hate shaving also.

I shave my head and face almost daily. Well, not head. I know a lot of Black Males shave their head, I wonder if they use electric or razors. I wish I knew someone to ask what they do, but I don't.

I can not use the Turbo line of Mach 3. That little soap strip it has irrates the hell out of my neck after using it. I used the Mach 3 for years, but it was never great. My facial hair is 10 times more course than your head, and it grows 5 times faster it seems like.

Any ideas for electric? I've tried the one with the 3 little circles and those do not work for me.

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
I've been seriously considering laser hair removal, as soon as I can afford it.
Is this permanent? Side effects? How much how much how much? :D Seems like even if taking a very conservative 5 times a week 10 minutes each, it would pay for itself in a very short time if it's only a few grand. The idea of getting 10 minutes of more sleep every weekday until retirement is very intriguing!

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
"My name's Rick. I hate shaving" *everyone* "Hello Rick"

If I remember the word I first learned in boot camp...pseudofoliculitus barbae (shaving bumps) I don't get them bad but I've never been able to use an electric. I've always used a razor and always Gillette Menthol until they quit making it, now Barbasol Menthol (which is ok but not near the quality)

How I shave is lather up, shave, lather up again and let it cool the cheeks, then douse with cold water. I live in northwest Montana. It got to a point where I couldn't get Gillette here anymore so I started buying case lots and having them shipped truck from California. They'd last about 2 1/2 years, then a few months ago Gillette informed me they discontinued Menthol so I had to change. It sucked. I've gotten used to the Barbasol but it's light on the menthol.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I have a bottle of AloeVera Gel that I put on immediately before putting on the shaving cream (Using Noxema right now, but might switch back to Edge Gel). Really seems to soften things up.

Also rinse the blade with cold water, I heard it tightens the skin and shrinks up the pores so there's less irritation.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Before I changed jobs I had to shave. Now I just do it when I feel like it. Man it's great I don't let it grow much but I don't have to worry about doing it everyday. Come to think of it it's time now. Thanks for the reminder.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
While it is a huge hassle, especially when you sleep in but still need to shave, doesn't at least someone here feel great after they've done it? Especially when using a Mach 3 Turbo.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
James:

That is the best shaving gel on the planet. Available at Duane Reade drugstores around NY.

Just read that KOS has made a deal with CVS to begin selling the stuff in their stores.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I don't like shaving, but to increase 'fun', I use Geo F Trumper shaving products. I have a wood bowl of soap, a badger hair shave brush, and my handy Gilette Sensor Excel. Yes, Trumper products are hard to come by in the U.S., but it's worth it!

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
Shaving doesn't really bother me. Heck, I don't even use shaving cream when im shaving with a razor. The only thing which bugs me is the time it takes!

John Madia

Second Unit
I hate shaving because I have the worst combination: thick beard and sensitive skin. I used to shave against the grain but if I shaved more than every couple of days, it would end up irritating my skin (usually above the lip and or/neck) and I'd end up with red skin for the rest of the day. Electric shavers were even worse because they'd leave about half of my entire skin red from shaving.

I switched to shaving with the grain which allows me shave more often. I use the Quatro which works better for me than the Mach 3. I usually exfoliate first and use Kiss My Face natural shaving creme (which I would reccomend). I can now shave often with very little irritation.

The only time I feel "great" after shaving is if I haven't done it for a while (~2 weeks or more) or when I get around to shaving after I've been sick for a while and am starting to recover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks