What's new

Who has the best sounding center channel....? (1 Viewer)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I agree with the studio CC, I was going to get all studio 40's and the manager of the store convinced me to go studio CC with the option to trade it in for the 40 if I wasn't happy (within a year), I haven't used it much but from the tiny bit I have, I have been very impressed.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I'll have to agree with Matt,
For under $1k the Mirage OM-C2 is a killer!
Huge presence with the Mirage.
With the Paradigm Studio CC and CC450 not far behind.
If anyone is interested, I'll will be posting a mint Studio CC-450 in the classified's soon, (later this week when I know I'll have the time to ship it promptly)
The best center overall that I have auditioned was the Aerial Acoustics CC-5, Wow, but look at the price.

Bill_Mis

Stunt Coordinator
The Snell XA-55cr would be another highly desirable choice, especially if mated with the XA series.

Aaron Smithski

Stunt Coordinator
This is what I use:
Link Removed
a/d/s MV20/u...2 - 8" woofers, 2 - 1.5" dome mids, 1 - 1" dome tweeter. It is remarkably similar to the Snell XA1900THX THX ULTRA 2 speaker:

Aaron

MarcEM

Grip
I use the B&W CC6 S2. I am bi-wiring it with Monster M Series cable. I am very happy with the sound that comes out of it. Dialogue is crisp and clear on everything that I've played through it.

I feel the need to upgrade though. Maybe to the HTM1. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I am currently using 602 S2 in Front and DM302s in the Rear.

Marc

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I really like the new Onix Rocket RSC200, "Bigfoot." It doesn't have quite the heft at 46 lb as the Aerial, but it sounds as good as any of the high dollar centers that I have heard.

Martice

Screenwriter
I agree with the studio CC, I was going to get all studio 40's and the manager of the store convinced me to go studio CC with the option to trade it in for the 40 if I wasn't happy (within a year), I haven't used it much but from the tiny bit I have, I have been very impressed.
I think I would've at least tried the Studio 40 before I went with the CC. I never heard the CC but I doubt that it would've out performed the 40 in terms of EXACT tonal matching, dynamics and detail. I run all the same speakers in my front setup and I used to have the center speaker on it's side but have since stood it up right to match the tweeter level of the L & R and it's the best display of sound I ever had in my system in terms of 3 speaker soundstage.

ErichH

Screenwriter
I own a StudioCC and 40s for the front-there fine, but I've always dreamed of a big 3way on the front and center.
The B&W HTM-1 looks great to me, but 1400 smackers,......ouch!!
This new Rocket 3 way LOOKS interesting, but I gotta hear what 600 bucks sounds like first.

IMO some brands (to which I won't mention) are almost marketed by some on these forums.
David's Got That Right!

Eric

StevieC

Grip
Those big 3-way centers do seem cool and I am sure they sound great.

What is the theoretical advantage to having a 3 way center ? Is it just for off axis performance ?

I know it just matters what we hear in our room, but I am curious what the advantage is of having a 3-way center is.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Keith, I am assuming that you have two separate setups? if that's the case cool:emoji_thumbsup: what is your associated equipment for each ?:D
Bob

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I have a Mirage MC-2 which is a forward firing version of the OM-C2. Its an older model from the late 90s but does have a great sound. Listening to the narration on Apocolypse Now (a great movie to hear how well your center does voices) had me kind of creeped out.

Aaron Smithski

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, thanks for the compliments! I did not expect receive praise for the fridge but I guess it does kind of stick out.
That is one of Frigidaire's finest, the Stainless Gallery Series. It does more things than I would think that a refrigerator should. Probably had you fooled into thinking it was a Sub-Zero or something, eh?:D
Aaron

KeithBR

Agent
Bob R.,
With the B&W Naut line I have HTM1, 803's, 804's, 805's and I'm still undecided on a sub but currently I am using a VTF-3. Hardware is a Anthem AVM 20 Preamp and Bryston Amps.
In my 2nd setup I have Paradigm Studio 100's, 40's, CC and 2 Servo 15's with a Denon 3802 and an Anthem MCA 5 Series II, which I used with the AVM 20 preamp before I upgraded to Bryston.
They are both very enjoyable setups.
Now if I could just make my mind up on a front projector :frowning:

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Keith, all I can say is Wow!;) you got some very nice equipment there! Now I know the B&W's are a much more refined speaker but how would you rate the paradigms compared to B&W's for ht and music? I own the studio 100s and they can really handle some power and they don't even flinch and the build quality is awesome:emoji_thumbsup:
Now front projector I recently viewed the sharp, yamaha and seleco so far the sharp had the better pic. Keep your eye out for the dwin it has a separate scaller and is suppose to have a pic as good a marantz:D good luck Bob

KeithBR

Agent
Now I know the B&W's are a much more refined speaker but how would you rate the paradigms compared to B&W's for ht and music?
I read your response/question lastnight and didn't know how to reply, so I waited till today. Guess what? I am still not quite sure how to answer you. I am not an audiophile and I can only break it down to you in layman's terms, especially considering I am using them in rooms with different dimensions, room variations and hardware.
More refined is a good way to sum up the differences though.
I bounce around from room to room depending on my mood.
I have been sitting here for 30 minutes now writing then deleting what I last wrote. I guess the chicken sh#t way for me out of this is to say, for the money Paradigm is the better setup.
The B&W Naut's cost more than 3 times my Paradigm setup and they only sound minimally better. The Nauts have more detail/clarity, more open/better sound stage and better for music listening, unless rock and heavy metal is your primary listening material.
But like the salesperson told me where I bought both setups, once you get to a certain level of sound performance, it takes a good deal more money for just a little more performance. What you have to ask yourself is, is 2,3,4 times on up the money worth it?
Obviously the answer to me was yes, but every once in a while I think it was a waste of money that could've been put to better use. Then after a hard days work I'll sit back in my easy chair, turn on my CD player with The Eagles Greatest Hits or Some JT and say "Ah, does it get any better than this"?
This is where I start to wonder about how much I am willing to spend on my *next* setup without going before a judge with my wife ;)
Like I said previously though, I couldn't be happier with both setups!
BTW, The Studio 100's seomtimes make me wonder why I even bought a sub! I can feel the walls & floor shake without my sub on in a room 16 x 24 x10 1/2C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks