What's new

Blu-ray Review Who Framed Roger Rabbit Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I wrote that prior to the Amazon price drop, which, as it turned out, was equivalent to $7 (going from 23.99 to 16.99).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Dan_Shane
Bingo.
Not a single plot-point is hurt by this sort of editing. Those scenes were in-jokes, meant perhaps to never be noticed let alone pointed out to the masses.
The real problem is when we start labeling the removal of hidden gags that were never formally approved as "censorship," thereby muddying the waters of the subject of real censorship. Poor old SONG OF THE SOUTH languishes in the vault because there is no way Disney can trim out every single black character who might be perceived as a stereotype, including the Tar-Baby in one of the cartoon segments. That is the sort of censorship I have a hard time accepting.
And how about Pecos Bill rolling up a cigarette in MAKE MINE MUSIC? That is a whole scene gone from an animated film that never once made me long to try smoking. I figured it was just what cowboys did back then, and my folks and I knew the difference between what I saw on the screen and the kind of activity I should imitate.
Disney and other studios can paint in all the undies and scrub all the phone numbers off the walls they want if they would just give me the movies I loved as a kid.
To me, it's all part of the same mentality: The Disneyfication of Disney.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
These changes don't bother me in the slightest, to be honest. I never noticed them being present and I've never cared that they are gone.
They do bother me because A) We're not getting the original theatrical version of the film, and B) I'm supremely tired of lawyers and accountants running the world.
Thanks for your excellent (as usual) review Matt. I'll probably be picking this up despite the edits.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So I have the 2003 Vista Series DVD, that I think is kind of cool in terms of the packaging, but would be willing to do an Amazon Trade-In for. I'm a bit undecided though. What would you do?

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Maybe you can print out a copy of the cover, put that into a spare dual-amaray case, insert the discs in them, and trade that in? Or would Amazon frown on that? If it's allowed, then you can put the Blu-ray in the cool Vista Series packaging. The empty slot can then be used for a soundtrack CD or DVD rip of the CAV LaserDisc.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Amazon needs the entire packaging intact to get the most money for the trade in.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Aw man. In that case, I'd just sacrifice the packaging and trade in. Better to have it look nice on the home theatre than look nice on the shelf. ;)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Is the "Rigid Tools" poster in Trail Mix Up still blurred out? http://www.imnotbad.com/2011/04/trail-mix-up.html

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think it's been taken out completely. I reran that section tonight a couple of times, and only saw one blurry sign not of that size or shape. Perhaps others who get this disc this week will have better luck with the search.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
warnerbro said:
What about the Betty Boop flash with no panties? Has that been sanitized too?
Thought it was a flash of her boobs? And I would think they have been removed. Damn nothing like looking at 90 something year old boobs. :). I have no problem with the changes for they were never supposed to be seen in the first place. They were inside jokes between the animators and their removal does not change the story or entertainment in no way

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
warnerbro said:
What about the Betty Boop flash with no panties? Has that been sanitized too?
Thought it was a flash of her boobs? And I would think they have been removed. Damn nothing like looking at 90 something year old boobs frame by frame :). I have no problem with the changes for they were never supposed to be seen in the first place. They were inside jokes between the animators and their removal does not change the story or entertainment in any form

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Betty Boop was a single-frame boobies flash and has never appeared on any home video release (to my knowledge). The sans panties clip was of Jessica Rabbit being launched out of Bennie the Cab as his tires get "dipped".

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Craig_Ehr said:
Betty Boop was a single-frame boobies flash and has never appeared on any home video release (to my knowledge). The sans panties clip was of Jessica Rabbit being launched out of Bennie the Cab as his tires get "dipped".
I'm pretty sure Betty flashed in the laserdisc.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Betty Boop and panties edits really shouldn't bother anyone. Do you think it was the intent of the producers that scenes like that appear? Nah...that was the work of naughty animators.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I have the original cav discs, though ny cld-99 is long retired. I don't remember the betty boop bit, but if its there on the cav, I will be on the side that would want it removed from any bluray release. It wasn't the artist intent and many 'in jokes' etc do not impact the film except to distract from it

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
See this is the kind of review that gets it right in discussing the transfer. On another site (guess which), the reviewer spends a lot of time warning the viewer that it's overly grainy and soft at times, I mean, just goes on and on about it, but then finally admits that's all due to the way in which it was done. Point being, why even bring that up in a review if the transfer replicates what this film should look like perfectly and gets it better because it's from a negative and not a release print. And then the usual suspects begin complaining that Disney didn't go all out because some of look is overly grainy and soft. They don't even bother mentioning the shots that aren't because they don't understand film and they certainly know nothing about film, not that that has ever stopped anyone on the Internet from pontificating as if they knew everything about film. These people don't even know what an optical is, let alone multiple pass opticals and what those look like when those sequences are suddenly generations away from the production photography. These people on these other boards do such harm to these excellent releases - they should be forbidden from posting out of sheer stupidity, but instead they are encouraged to post.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
mattCR said:
I have the original cav discs, though ny cld-99 is long retired. I don't remember the betty boop bit, but if its there on the cav, I will be on the side that would want it removed from any bluray release. It wasn't the artist intent and many 'in jokes' etc do not impact the film except to distract from it
I have no memory of Betty pulling up her dress. Just a frame of her black & white boobs. When I got the laserdisc my immaturity got the best of me so I went through it frame by frame looking for stuff. As I grew up I realized that stuff was not meant to be seen only done as inside jokes and not relevant. However I bet that cell of Miss Boop's nudity would go for a pretty penny now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks