What's new

Who else is looking forward to the Panasonic DMP-BD50? (1 Viewer)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I've been drooling since this player was announced. I cannot wait. DTS-HDMA decoders built in. According to bluray.com MSRP will be $599 and it will street in May. I've been saving for a few months for this puppy and by May, I'll have more than enough. I'll probably pick up a Fox Blu-Ray at the same time so I can experience DTS-HDMA. May cannot get here fast enough!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Either this or the Sony S550 will be my first Blu-ray player. Both will be out by the time I get around to buying one (or receiving it as a Xmas gift). For the same reason you state--internal audio decoding of ALL the codecs.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Blu-ray.com - Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player - Specifications

DMP-BD50 | Blu-ray Disc Player | Panasonic Global

HDMI 1.3. Check.
Profiles 1.1/2.0. Check.
Ethernet. Check.
TrueHD/DTS-MA - BOTH Decode and Bitstream output. Check.
Analog out. Check.
24fps support. Check.
DVD-/+ R/RW & CD-R/RW. Check.
MP3/JPEG/DivX. Check.

Did I miss something? On the other forums some people mentioned the lack of UBS-port..

Sounds pretty great player based on these specs.

Not sure what the upscaling chip etc will be, but I´m sure it´s pretty good.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think the most common complaint for the BD-50 is the lack of 7.1 outputs. It isn't for me, as my current amp can't accept 7.1 in, nor am I willing to re-tool my HT at this time to add 2 more speakers (in my 2BR apt it really doesn't make sense).

As long as it is BD2.0 compliant and performs as good or better than my PS3 (which includes PQ, AQ and responsiveness/loading times) then I'm going to spring for it.

If not, I'll wait for the internal decoding of the HD-audio in my PS3 and buy a new receiver that can handle 5.1 PCM output over HDMI (which my NAD T763 cannot handle).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My only concern on this is price. If it isn't competitively priced against the PS3, that's where my money will go, and I may spring for the 80GB PS3 to get SACD and PS2 compatibility.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I'm in the same boat. I currently own a Tosh HD-A1 which is sending audio to my receiver by way of 5.1 analogs. However once I get the Panny, the analogs will be dedicated to it. My receiver is a 10-yr old Pioneer so no HDMI. No worries, though - I'll use the old faithful coax for the HD-A1 until I get a receiver with HMDI.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I emailed Panasonic Thursday and asked when they were supposed to ship the BD50s. A rep from Arizona replied today and said:

"Thank you for contacting Panasonic. The Panasonic DMP-BD50 is suppose to
release at the end of May but we do not guarantee we will have them in
stock. I would keep checking on our site or I can give you more updates
as we go.
8123 S. Hardy Drive
Tempe, AZ 85284 Jennifer Esposito
Fax: 480-467-6456 Customer Service
CustomerService at direct.us.panasonic.com "

Just as a side note from previous discussions, the BD50 will have analog outs, while not 7.1 (sigh..), are 5.1.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
It was going to be my first Blu-Ray player when I was expecting 7.1 analog outs (to feed my Outlaw 990). Now that I know it is 5.1 then I will patiently wait and evaluate the best overall player/price throughout this year and spend money on a new preprocessor that can handle the HDMI inputs.

Brad

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
According to this, MSRP is going to be 700 bucks. That's killing my (and many others, I'm sure) interest in it.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The Sony has just taken a significant lead (at its previously announced likely MSRP of 499$). Otherwise, I'll forgo the audio codecs for now and get a PS3 (I don't mind paying an extra 100$ for the advanced audio with analogue output so I don't have to upgrade my receiver, but not 300$--I've been living without the advanced audio with my A2 with no real complaints).

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I had been holding out waiting for this player to finally ship when I got impatient and went ahead and bought a PS3 a few months ago. Turns out that was the right decision. That price point is just absurd.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

Outlaw is expected to release a new pre/pro mid to late this year, and in the past they've offered a discount to owners of the prior models to entice them to upgrade. I was probably going to bite that baited hook anyway, but I would have had half a year using player decoders through the analog outs to my 990. Now I'll at least wait for the Sony (or any other manufacturer) to hit the market with a full featured player to bring some price pressure to Panasonic. I may even consider a low end PS3 at some point. I just don't see the $700 value in the DMP-BD50 that the Panny marketers expect me to see.

Brad

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
$699 is definitely priced too high, especially if the Sony does come in at an MSRP of $499.

I do own a 60GB PS3 but was looking to upgrade to something that handled the new HD audio codecs (since my receiver does not). At that price point for the Panny BD, I might as well upgrade my receiver instead (and have the PS3 output 5.1 LPCM via HDMI to it).

Or, more likely, pull the trigger on the Sony at $499.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Just to let you guys know, I emailed Panasonic (again) about release dates and price for the Panny BD-50. I just asked what the price would be and when the player would be released...looks like some more waiting:

"The most updated information we have received is that the DMP-BD50 will
be release in late July early Aug [2008]. The price can change and we will not know until the we get the item in stock.

Thank you,

8123 S. Hardy Drive
Tempe, AZ 85284 Jennifer Esposito
Fax: 480-467-6456 Customer Service
[email protected] "

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I was looking forward to this as an upgrade, but no 7.1 analog outs really sours this. At its price and digital capability it's positioned "up there", so you think they could have spent the extra buck for a couple more jacks/buffers to make it "complete". I was really counting on Panny to give me the most use options...

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Heck I was interested but not at $700. I went cheap-o and got the $200 net Wallyworld Magnavox for my first player. We all know your first player will get upgraded in a year or two anyway. :laugh:

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart

Yep, I eliminated this player as an option as soon as I found this out.

I'm now looking at the Pioneer BDP-51FD or the Sony S550.

(though I bought a PS3 today, for $220, as a temporary solution)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks