What's new

Who else is excited about the Denon 2900? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So wish they would offer aspect ratio scaling. I was not planning to spend more than $400 on a player, but after doing my taxes, I'm ready to splurge, BUT... :rolleyes

Maybe if I can get it discounted, I should get a Malata 520 for everything else. Hmmm...

_Man_

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Parker,

It would be great if you could manage a group buy on this. If you can, the count me (and probably dozens of others) in.

Reg

P.S. - My Denon 1600 will be going in the Hardware for sell section shortly for aroud $300.00.

Reg

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I currently have the 2800 MKII as a bridge player until the 2900 comes in.

The dealer will allow me to return the 2800 MKII at no penalty because it has such a bad case of the Chroma Bug.

Here's to hoping the 2900: 1) is Chroma Bug free, 2) is not prone to freezing and drop-outs, 3) has the same or better PQ than the 2800, 4) plays DVD-A and SACD flawlessly and the analog bass management works like it should.

For a grand, we should expect that, and Denon has not delivered in the past on new models, so I'm a little dubious but still very hopeful.

Regards,

Ed

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
So, would someone tell me why the Denon 2900 is better than the Yamaha S2300. I have 30 days to decide whether I want to keep the Yammie. The best part is I paid only $750 for it because Magnolia Hi-Fi is closing out its Yamaha line and this unit was the display.

I guess my enthusiasm for the 2900 vs the Yamaha 2300 is due to the RS-232 port on the Denon. But I guess If you dont have a Crestron or AMX system then it doesn't really matter.

Barry

Mark All

Second Unit
So, would someone tell me why the Denon 2900 is better than the Yamaha S2300.
The truth is, nobody knows until the Denon hits the market or is subjected to a comparison test by a pro reviewer in the next month or so. I'd be interested in a group deal on the new Denon, but it would have to be a heck of a deal for me to buy one without seeing it tested somewhere first.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I will check with Gabriel about a group buy too. The problem is that Denon is very particular about the selling price of their units. We will have to see. Also, I would like to see a few reviews back on the unit but from what I have read so far this unit sounds like a great buy.

Parker

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The Yamaha has great video, as well all saw from the Secrets shootout, but for audio quality, it measured poorly for noise for all formats except for SACD by Sound & Vision. But if you don't notice that, then maybe it's OK.

Any expectations in terms of layer changes for the 2900? (I.e., does it have a buffer, how are the 1600, 2800, 3800, etc?)

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
It should scream through layer changes. It has a larger buffer than any of Denon's current players. I'm not exactly sure if the 2900 has 8 or 16 MB for the buffer. Denon has produced both numbers in different press releases and I'm not sure which is correct.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Regarding built quality,I wonder just how much of it is a "talk" from Denon Jeff,to "justify" the existence of the current 3800 into the future?
Not to mention if the current 9000 gets a SACD update as well.
Or will it be a 3900 in the works?
It wouldn't make much sense,but this is audio after all!:D

Andrew P

Second Unit
Im not excited for the 2900. I have never been impressed with Denon DVD players starting with the 2800 through the 3800 and finally with the 900. Hopefully Denon has a winner in this machine, but ill believe it when I see it.

Andy

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lewis, all I can say is that the '2900 weighs 17.6 lbs., while the '3800 weighs about 22 lbs. Now, I don't know if the difference resides merely in the chassis or if the '3800 has a larger power supply. I'd be interested to find out where the difference lies.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The Pioneer DV-47ai weighs about 11 lbs, and the 45a about 6 lbs. Y'all do the math. :)

Thanks for the info on the buffers!

I have heard that a 3900 is coming too? Maybe (much) later?

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Yes, Denon Jeff says the 3900 is on the way, much later. End of this year, beginning of next.

He says the 3800/3900 have a much larger power supply than the 2900. I also get the impression the 3900 will have HDCD decoding as well as a few other things the 2900 won't.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about you guys but I don'y confuse "built quality" with sheer weight.I can always put a stack of weights on top of it[2900],then kick back and enjoy a Conan flick while I have a shake,and feeling oh so mighty.;)
Since this not a power amp[nor a weight lift competition] I won't be concerned about it's weight.Same goes for the power supply.To supply the micro processors and the electro motor for the tray,I have a feeling that what Denon puts in there,will be more then sufficient.
Oopps,gotta go working out,see you in the gym!:D

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I have been waiting three months for this player to come out and actually waiting over two years to replace my DVD player because I knew something with all these features was eventually going to come out. I will definately buy this player blindly so Parker please count me in on the group buy. Even if it is not much of a discount I would still rather buy from a retailer who supports the HTF.

Eric_Strickl

Stunt Coordinator
I hope it is a good player because right now I have a dps 8.3 (my second one) and it has some serious problems!! I get macro vision (I think that is the name of it) bars on some of the dvds I watch and it drives nuts! I looked in the manual and it even says in the manual it will do this on some tvs. It sounds good but the picture sucks!!! Fortunately the place I bought it from is one of the coolest stores I have ever been to (the best customer service ever!!) and is going to let me keep the dps until the 2900 comes in. I hope it is good!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.