What's new

Who else here is a freak... (1 Viewer)

Eric Eash

Second Unit
By that I mean, is there anyone else here who loathes the security devices they put inside the dvd case. I don't know what it is, but I hate them. I just spent an hour going through all my cases to check and pulled out over 100 of those damn things. I've been pulling them out immediately after opening the dvd for at least the past year, but I had to scrub the rest of the collection. Surely I'm not the only one?

Eric

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
They don't bother me, I just take them off. But it does upset me when they're placed on cardboard, damaging a beautiful case. Looney Tunes is a perfect example.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I always yank them off upon opening a new DVD as I've come across a few cases where the security tags have come loose and affixed themselves to the discs. Not something I want to find a few years down the road when the option to exchange the DVD is gone.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
It irks the hell outta me when they are placed under the clear plastic trays on cardboard packages. It taunts me- just sitting there a mere eighth of an inch from the tray surface, yet so far out of reach. It really minimizes all the efforts the package designers went to. There must be another way other than this glaring method...

anal-retentive Jimmy

Bolivar G

Second Unit
And we wonder why the rest of the world hates us:D j/k:laugh:

Yea they can be annoying at times, but I never remove them.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I don't mind them on plastic (they come off easy enough), but I agree it's a shame when they are put on the cardboard, under the plastic, in digipaks... a la Looney Tunes and many others.

I've seen some digipaks that have the security tag stuck on a blank paper insert. Seems the obvious and logical solution to me, and it would add a fraction of a penny per unit to do it this way.

-Scott

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I once arranged to meet a friend of mine who had asked me for a loan of a few region 1 discs ( he's a fellow enthusiast so I knew he wouldn't use them as drinks coasters ). Anyway, I gave him the discs and then we decided to have a look around some of the local DVD stores. The security tags on the US discs set off the alarms in about three different places...
Now I remove the tags whenever possible.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I always remove them too. Pisses me off when they stick them under the plastic in digipaks. I've found using a stamp tongs is handy for extracting those nuisance tags.:angry:

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I find myself picking them off on any disk I pick up... even when they're not mine!! :)

Browsing a friend's collection the other day, I opened a case to look at the insert and absentmindedly picked off the security thing. Before I realized what I was doing, I had this thing stuck to my finger. It's just such a habit.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ditto. The paranoid factor is that they can do a 'fly over' and track you down.

So mine alwys come off too. Please don't forget to look inside of your empty box sets, as they hide them down there too. I once pulled one off and it took a sliver of cardboard out all the way up the back and out to the front before I noticed it. Crap!

Glenn

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Aliens know what we're watching with those things:alien:

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Given the choice of dealing with security stickers vs paying even higher prices to counter shoplifting I'll gladly deal with the stickers. Best case scenario would be if they could manafacture a security device directly into the DVD so it will set off the alarm even if it's been taken out of it's package......

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I certainly understand the need for these things... but how hard would it be to include it in such a way so as to NOT damage the packaging?? THAT's the part that bothers me.

The tags should either be affixed to plastic, or they should be on an insert.

-Scott

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
I always remove all security tags as soon as I unwrap my purchases. A long thin blade is good for removing them from under the plastic on a Digipak. This may leave some residue, but it isn't any worse than seeing the security tag. Just take it slow and easy.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Some DVDs have the security tag affixed to a sheet of paper the size of an insert... I just throw those away :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks