What's new

Who did you regret not seeing Live? (1 Viewer)

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

Was wondering who you all wish you had seen in concert but regrettably missed before they passed on. I know there are going to be many of the same artists that many of us missed like Jimi Hendrix and such and please do list those.

But dont be bashful about listing some more obscure artists and giving some info about them if they really aren't well known. Also you can list people that were way before your time that you had no real chance of seeing but would have died to see. (no pun intended)

I'll start by of course listing my top three that are very well known, specifically;

Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin and
Jim Morrison.

Granted, I was bit young while they were alive but I wished to have still seen them.

Next I regret not seeing Jeff Buckley. At the time he recorded 'Grace' I think my head was up my sphincter and didn't know of him and missed him when he came to California on tour.

I truly would have liked to have seen Townes Van Zandt. A great troubadour and songwriter. I've heard not a bad thing about his performances.

Another person would have been Danny Gatton. One of the greatest Telecaster slingers. I'm very partial to the sound of a Telecaster and he was tremendous.

Can't wait to hear from you all.

Peace, Rick

John Watson

Screenwriter
I regret never seeing Roy Orbison live, tho I understand his live performances were very true to the record arrangements.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Great post Rick...we share more than a few musical heroes. I have seen Janis and Jim, but missed Jimi. Townes is rightly a legend, but the alcohol was responsible for many a lousy night on stage, or an outright inability to get on the stage.
There's tons of performers I'd like to have seen:
Hank Williams
Bob Wills
Muddy Waters

But most of all Milton Brown and His Musical Brownies. Milton was the founder of Western Swing and back in the early 30s in Texas if you were going dancing on the weekend, this was the band you wanted. An irresistable mix of blues, jazz, pop and takeoffs from some very talented players.

Jim

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
So many, but I'll try to stick with artists from my lifetime.

1. Alice in Chains
2. Nirvana
3. Talking Heads
4. The Police
5. Led Zeppelin
6. Pink Floyd

Damn, now I'm getting depressed.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Led Zeppelin
Voivod
Sepultura
The Flaming Lips (When they were good)
Jimi Hendrix
AC/DC (In their prime)
Bob Marley
NOFX (Last time they played in NYC,3 shows sold out in minutes :angry:)
Black Sabbath

Walt O

Agent
Pink Floyd on the Pulse tour, but since I was not a fan until years later, I guess I'm forgiven.

Walt

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I never got to see the Beatles live. Granted, it would have just been constant screaming, but it would have been great to say I had seen them live.

WillardK

Second Unit
Probably a lot, but what comes to mind right off for dead (essentially) groups... not sure how many people involved are literally dead:

Broadcast
They're not dead yet I hope! But they are not exactly prolific and haven't put anything out since their full length debut a couple of years ago. The shows include psychedelic-like stage projections befitting their cinematic sound.
Can
Kraut-rock fun... would have liked to see them with Damo Suzuki on vocals.
Kraftwerk
up to and including Computer World
X-Ray Specs
major punkers led by proto riot grrrl Poly Styrene
Dead Can Dance
how do you describe them... ambient world-goth?
Buzzcocks
the original edition
Wire
likewise... though they're sounding not bad at all in their current reincarnation
Joy Division
I DID get to see New Order during the Lies tour
My Bloody Valentine
after Loveless, of course... and with ear plugs
Funkadelic
yes
Cocteau Twins
no later than Blue Bell Knoll
XTC
before Skylarking when they were interesting
Nico
a friend saw her in the 80's at a small club and I regret not going
electro-acoustic performances
I don't know whether Pierre Henry or Morton Subotnick performed live... saw Jon Appleton once.
various jazz greats
Coltrane, Davis, Reinhardt, Baker, Parker, Sun Ra, Monk, Modern Jazz Quartet...

yikes... I'll stop :)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Stevie Ray Vaughn because I had a great chance to see him when I was in college. At that time I really didn't know who he was and I was more into rock and heavy metal. I was turned on to him later by a friend and then he died about a year after I really started listening to him. :frowning:

Stephen Heath

Stunt Coordinator
The Police. I know they aren't dead, but back when they were doing the Police Picnics it sounded like one of the coolest parties ever. I was too young at the time, and about the age I could start going, they broke up.

I don't know, I've been to other "festival" concerts, but it's always been one I've wished I could go to.

KrisM

Second Unit
There are so many to list. Some of the ones I had a chance to see put passed due to the expense of travel etc - Stevie Ray Vaughan, Albert Collins and Albert King all fall into this category.
I also wish I had the chance to William Clarke, one the best blues harmonica players ever. He died much too young.
And not seeing John Lee Hooker will probably be my biggest regret.
I did have the chance to see Luther Allison about a year before he died, and I'm glad I did. It still stands as the single best live show I have ever seen.
I also had the choice to travel and see either Soundgarden or the Stones, and chose Soundgarden. Who knew they would stop touring together before the Stones would.

Regards
KrisM

Zane Charron

Second Unit
There are a few artists/bands that I could name, but one that really sticks out for me is Michael Hedges, the phenomenal, mind-bending acoustic guitarist/composer who died in a car crash December '97. Unfortunately, whenever he toured he would never quite come down to Florida. He's considered the second most influential acoustic guitarist of the last 40 or so years (Leo Kottke is first, though I love Hedges music infinately more).

I still miss his music (I always tear up whenever I hear the heart breaking song 'Spring Buds' from his posthumous album 'Torched'). Pick up 'Breakfast in the Field', 'Ariel Boundaries' or my favorite, 'Taproot' for a taste of his legacy.

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
Britney spears - oh wait! She's still alive

Actually, in 1990 the company I was working for was laying off and we decided we should save money. I went home to Vermont for the 4th of July and SRV and Joe Cocker were playing at the fairgrounds 1 mile from my mother's house. I decided that I should save my money and didn't go - I could have bought a ticket at the gate.

He was killed the next month.

I'll never do that again. If you have the chance don't assume you'll get another one...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I'll just consider from my lifetime as well. Zeppelin. Had tickets in the 10th row for the last tour. Robert Plant's son died, they went back to England, and that was it. I saw the Firm twice, Robert Plant (3rd lp tour with Robbie Blunt), and Page/Plant, but it still wasn't the same. But now there are a couple of DVDs coming that I can't wait for...

I'll also say the Smiths. I hadn't "discovered" new wave music at the point where they hit where I grew up for the last time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks