What's new

Who Are The Worst Actors In TV History (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
some actors may be better than others.

but i have one little secret for ya - good writing makes good acting !!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Neil Brock said:
She was Meryl Streep compared to Lee Majors. Talk about someone who couldn't act.
I think those of us who are fans of "The Big Valley" would beg to differ.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
derosa said:
I'm a big fan of the original Bionic Woman show,but I actually think Lindsey Wagner wasn't a very good actress.She seemed to get worse. Her first few appearances she wascharming, and by the reunion movies, just awful.
With respect to the reunion movies, I think with some actors, when they have been out of work for a while, they really get out of the groove. Others are capable of jumping right back in like they never left. I'm not sure why.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I still get Richard Dawson and Peter Lawford confused--Which one was the game show host? ;)
Joe Lugoff said:
I hereby nominate Tim Conway.

Now, wait. I'm going to make the case that millions agreed with me and were bored to tears with him.
I just couldn't take any more of that one-expression "scene stealer" or one more viewing of "here's where Tim breaks up Harvey, just like they rehearsed it all week."
Now, now...He didn't just break up Harvey Korman:
Korman was already an unprofessional pushover. Breaking up Lyle Waggoner, OTOH...

Now THAT'S diabolical torture. :D

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Ejanss said:
I still get Richard Dawson and Peter Lawford confused--Which one was the game show host? ;)

Now, now...He didn't just break up Harvey Korman:
Korman was already an unprofessional pushover. Breaking up Lyle Waggoner, OTOH...

Now THAT'S diabolical torture. :D

That's perhaps my all-time favourite sketch from the Burnett show!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Even before I knew of his religious beliefs, I never thought Kirk Cameron was that good of an actor. And he limited his own range by submitting a list of what he would and would not do. How could anyone stand being a writer on Growing Pains when the worst creative interference was coming from the star, not the network?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
MatthewA said:
Even before I knew of his religious beliefs, I never thought Kirk Cameron was that good of an actor. And he limited his own range by submitting a list of what he would and would not do. How could anyone stand being a writer on Growing Pains when the worst creative interference was coming from the star, not the network?
What do Cameron's religious beliefs have to do with anything? They are his, and he is as entitled to them as those in the business who practice some beliefs that *I* might consider offensive, but that's not for me to judge if I want to evaluate their professional work.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Whew....this is a tough one....will take some time to muddle through this. I do love this thread along with all the great responses and reactions.
funny%20face.gif

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
MatthewA said:
A reminder to all members. Let's leave religious beliefs and such out of our discussions on the HTF. Thank you.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
JoeDoakes said:
With respect to the reunion movies, I think with some actors, when they have been out of work for a while, they really get out of the groove. Others are capable of jumping right back in like they never left. I'm not sure why.
Its like any other endeavor, you get out of a practice. Even a pro athlete, if they stop for a few years, they can't just pick up where they left off.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Neil Brock said:
Its like any other endeavor, you get out of a practice. Even a pro athlete, if they stop for a few years, they can't just pick up where they left off.
I've always felt that in the first Father Knows Best reunion movie, Robert Young was playing it like Marcus Welby. By the second movie a few months later, he had found his Jim Anderson once again.

I must vehemently disagree with those who don't like Ann B. Davis (she's wonderful on Love That Bob and does the best she can with the material handed her on The Brady Bunch), Richard Deacon (though I prefer Roger C. Carmel's three-dimensional Roger to Richard's stereotypical Fred Mertz retread on The Mothers in Law) and Tim Conway. Tim seems to work best when paired with another comic. With Joe Flynn on McHale's Navy and Harvey Korman on The Carol Burnett Show, he's a comic genius. On his own, not so much. Somebody must like him because those Mr. Tudball/Mrs Wiggins sketches are among the most popular sketches Carol ever did.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Tim Conway, as I recall, always played second banana better than anybody.

Take The Birdcage. Everybody wanted Robin Williams for the "wife". He adamantly wanted not to play that role...but be second.

There are times second is better than first...and Tim Conway fit that better than many,

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Personal beliefs can interfere with work. Not even talking acting. Take Two and Half Men.One character beliefs his way out while another comes in totally different than their real life.Acting people...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm not convinced Charlie Sheen was even acting on Two and a Half Men, unless it was to keep the more frightening aspects of his personality under wraps.

Ashton Kutcher is another nonentity who's gotten by on luck and looks. He's the male Jennifer Aniston.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Frank Soyke said:
Wow, it's great that you have such a line on what "virtually everyone" thinks. Just curious if you did a quick nationwide Gallup pole before offering this "gem" to the thread. I am very careful when I post to not transfer my feelings to others, no matter how strong my opinions are. That being said, my OWN opinion remains... she stunk.
I agree with Joe Doakes, and disagree with you. So that's at least 2 of us.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
MatthewA said:
I'm not convinced Charlie Sheen was even acting on Two and a Half Men, unless it was to keep the more frightening aspects of his personality under wraps.

Ashton Kutcher is another nonentity who's gotten by on luck and looks. He's the male Jennifer Aniston.
I was actually going after Angus and Amber...

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
******In most cases, they don't. Facts of Life's Lisa Whelchel was/is just as religious, and only once did she have any objections to the scripts****

Actors are free to have objections to scripts if they have personal problems with them all they like. That's hardly new so singling out Cameron for attention in that category is rather weak. Maybe if an actress refuses to do a nude scene or if an actor refuses to indulge in profanity in a sequence they should now be criticized for not being a "trooper"? I don't think so.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Frank Soyke said:
I agree with the addition posters have added, with the addition of Mclean Stevenson. yes Hello Larry was terrible, but his portayal of Henry Blake was a classic performance. IMO the tender moment between he and Burghoff during his final episode moved me as much as any TV episode I have seen. Here are a few more unwatchable actors I want to throw in IMO. I don't have time to elaborate right now:
Estelle Getty - Poster child or one trick pony(and her trick wasn't that funny to begin with).
Estelle Getty! Yes! How could I have forgotten?

She wasn't really an actress, in the first place. She auditioned for parts in Broadway shows for years until she finally lucked into one. I think she was cast as Bea Arthur's mother simply because of the difference in their height, Bea being something like seven feet tall and Estelle about three foot two. This was supposed to be funny (key word: supposed.) Again, she lucked into it.

She delivered her lines as if she were reading them off the script for the first time, with no real meaning or feeling behind them. As I said, she wasn't a real actress, like the other three on the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks