What's new

Whitney - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Erm. Not funny.

I've never seen her stand up routine, but much of her performance felt very self, and audience aware.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I can't believe they done away with a show like Outsourced for trash like they are doing this season. While Outsourced wasn't great like a Modern Family, at least it was WAY better than anything I have seen so far. Whitney I think at best may appeal to women viewers about her age or maybe older, but it's not for guys at all. Really, I don't see many women laughing or relating to it that much either as a whole. Guess none of the new NBC shows are for me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I started to watch this a few nights ago On Demand and I got 4 minutes into it before having to turn it off. I usually go through a number of episodes before giving up on a show but I guess I've been spoiled by the great comedies that are on TV that I can't sit through garbage anymore.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I caught the second half of this and it was all kinds of horrible. I've seen some of Whitney Cummings' standup, and she's okay, but this was just terrible and so run of the mill.

Originally Posted by TravisR

I started to watch this a few nights ago On Demand and I got 4 minutes into it before having to turn it off. I usually go through a number of episodes before giving up on a show but I guess I've been spoiled by the great comedies that are on TV that I can't sit through garbage anymore.

Are there really that many great comedies on TV right now? Other than 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' and 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' (which isn't even on now) I don't know of any.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
ScottH said:
I caught the second half of this and it was all kinds of horrible.  I've seen some of Whitney Cummings' standup, and she's okay, but this was just terrible and so run of the mill.

Are there really that many great comedies on TV right now?  Other than 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' and 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' (which isn't even on now) I don't know of any.
You bet, did you not see or hear about the Emmy's? Modern Family walked with several and it has been one of the best and most consistent comedy shows on rather cable or TV. I also like that it is not so in-your-face with some subject matters and it does not use a laugh track.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Jeffery_H

You bet, did you not see or hear about the Emmy's? Modern Family walked with several and it has been one of the best and most consistent comedy shows on rather cable or TV. I also like that it is not so in-your-face with some subject matters and it does not use a laugh track.

Definitely don't pay much attention to the Emmy's. I've heard good things about 'Modern Family' but never saw it. I've seen bits and pieces of it and it seems like it has some potential, but if I watch a show, it has to be from the beginning of the series. Maybe I'll get the DVDs/Blurays for it some day. I just have a phobia against network comedy shows that I would have to overcome. I did enjoy 'The Office' and '30 Rock' for a time, but not so much anymore.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
ScottH said:
Are there really that many great comedies on TV right now?  Other than 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' and 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' (which isn't even on now) I don't know of any.
Comedy is probably the most subjective artform but for my money, Community and Parks And Recreation are both top notch and the only shows on network TV that are great.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I thought it was ok. A few laughs - the guy who plays Alex, is the best part of the show. A little eye candy with the nurse outfit. :) Actually found it more humorous than this week's Two and a Half Men. I'll probably watch again and see if it gets better, but I'm not going to go out of my way.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Second ep seemed a little better. She was a little more natural. She is nice to look at though. ;) Perhaps she's like Seinfeld in that if you watch the early episodes he was pretty horrible as an actor - he did get much better though. This has been discussed before, but if Seinfeld had come out in today's TV environment it probably wouldn't have lasted a full season.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought it was better too. I alternate between thinking she's attractive and thinking she needs to eat a sandwich.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Just saw the Pilot, and had a few laughs here and there. Thought it was okay overall.

I have to say, someone was trigger happy with the laugh track, because this would be the first in a while that it annoyed me. Though still not as bad as it was in the 70's and 80's.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
I have to say, someone was trigger happy with the laugh track, because this would be the first in a while that it annoyed me. Though still not as bad as it was in the 70's and 80's.
They do say it's filmed in front of a live audience, so it's not canned. But I wonder if it would be better without it.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Tried to watch the pilot. Wow, yes overkill on the laugh track. Some laughs were on comments that weren't jokes and nothing was really funny. Painful, painful tv. Naturally it gets picked up. Ugh.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by MarkMel
They do say it's filmed in front of a live audience, so it's not canned. But I wonder if it would be better without it.

Filmed in front of a live audience does not necessarily mean that the laughter you hear is only coming from the audience. I think it is being enhanced.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I like this show so far. I just think that Whitney is a little to abrasive. Both in personality and in looks. She is one of those women that can look pretty hot, then look pretty bad depending on something. I can't really put my finger on it. It could be it depends on what she is wearing or it even could simply be that she looks worse when she is being mean.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There was an interesting Entertainment Weekly blurb comparing this show to her other project, "2 Broke Girls," and how they have done since the premieres. Early impressions favored "2BG" but the show has already become stagnant (I decided to drop the show last week), whereas "Whitney" seems to be finding its footing. I haven't been watching this show because I decided to give "Person of Interest" priority, but I'll probably get back to it when I have a little more time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks