What's new

White Van Speaker Scams (1 Viewer)

Alex/d

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
I have to agree with Seth here; buying speakers at a retailer is certainly better than buying any "unknown" speakers. Even if they may not sound as decent, perhaps as another speaker, at least you have a person to talk to in the unfortunate event that something would go wrong, and what have you.
But, ultimately, you as the consumer are aware of what you do with your money. They don't take your money automatically, you trust them with their claim or you trust them to give you a product for a value of money. Therefore, if you don't trust what someone tells you, or if you don't trust what you see and hear with your own judgement, then you shouldn't make a sale at all. (although it's pretty obvious by this point in our lives, I hope.)
That paragraph above isn't just for speakers. It's about anything you can purchase, service wise or goods.
Analyize the data that you get readily, then research even more about what you are looking at purchasing, then compile it all together, think about it and think hard, and then ask yourself if you are willing to trust that company or person to exchange your money for a good.

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
I gotta agree with ya on the package price vs the driver cost. I would not pay anything close to the full asking price for those speakers, a couple hundred maybe. In that light, it's pretty scammy. While I don't view the Hi-Vi drivers as high end, their quality appears to be better than the drivers in my several pairs of older DCM monitors and BIC towers and bookshelfs, and all of these drivers are out of Taiwan and low cost, but all these speakers sound pretty good. Low cost drivers don't automatically equate to crappy sound and can sound quite good when utilized properly. Dayton Loudspeaker is another good example of this.
Seth=L said:
Yea, OK, an 8" woofer with a 16mm excursion is going to destroy two 18" woofers.
I think he meant a 16mm excursion would destroy the 18" drivers, not the 8" performance itself.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Nathan W. said:
I think he meant a 16mm excursion would destroy the 18" drivers, not the 8" itself.
The problem with the company's statement is that a 8'' woofer with 16mm excersion, which isn't much, would perform better than an 18" woofer. Granted they maybe talking about any 18" woofer so they might not be directly lying, but the statement is misleading even if it isn't a lie. The excursion is only 1.6cm, only a fraction of an inch. My Sunfire True Sub has 2.5" of linear excursion and many 18" subs would blow that away in output and extension. So their statement is purely misleading

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
.62992" of excursion to be exact. They must be using pro sound 18" drivers. Some of those have less than 4mm Xmax (8mm peak to peak).

I guess you can tell I didn't finely sift through the site like you did. I basically just looked at the pretty pictures.

Terry St

Second Unit
Cone displacement is a pretty decent measurement of the simple potential of a sub-woofer. In order for an 18" sub to produce the same displacement as a 8" sub with a 16mm excursion it would only require about 3.2mm of excursion. Frankly, I don't think they *ever* made 18" subs which were that panzy-ass!

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
hmm. the 3db point of the speaker looks to be about 35 hz. Respectable, I suppose. But what's the point of getting a 18 inch sub if it can't reproduce 16-20 Hz?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Nathan W. said:
.62992" of excursion to be exact. They must be using pro sound 18" drivers. Some of those have less than 4mm Xmax (8mm peak to peak).
I guess you can tell I didn't finely sift through the site like you did. I basically just looked at the pretty pictures.
The website implies that the 8" woofer has an excersion of 16mm, not that the 18" woofer had that excursion. So they were implying that the 8" woofer was significantly better than the two 18" woofers. Maybe we are on the same page now.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I was just doing a search for blue ridge sound again and found something very interesting. I accidentally typed in blue ridge audio on Google and found the manufacturer of Linn and other high end audio products, so now I am sure of it, the Blue Ridge Sound Enginering is a scam.

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
They're just a distributor of those high end products, not the mfgr. Does seem a little suspect though.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The Logo is quite similar. Thank you Nathan, now to make some modifications to the list.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
htf_imgcache_1080.jpeg

Goodbye, Bowers and Wilkins.
Hello AER
htf_imgcache_1081.jpeg

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Adding them to the Black List, thanx again Nathan.
White Van speaker scammer walks up to you and asks, "What is you sign?"
You say, "Oh, I am a Pisces, why?"
The scammer responds, "We have the perfect speaker for you!"
Pisces Series: Model PB-651 v2.0
Top grade Real Wood Veneer Cabinet Bookshelf speaker.
Technical Specifications
Libra Series: Model TX-228
Unique styled painted MDF cabinets in Lacquered finishing. Premium styling combined with high quality drivers to deliver a powerful listening experience.
Technical Specifications
Scorpio Series: Model L-1000
Beautiful modern cabinet design, build-in amplifiers allow this system maximum flexibility.
Now that is funny stuff. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Alex/d

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
OOOh... just thinking that I could buy those and have awesome chuddiness :D
Eh, B&W, overrated. AER FTW always. :pfft: :D
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
That site also has some "PVC" towers. Don't know if they're pvc coated or solid. Either way, that's also a new one on me.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Yea I'm not sure about the PVC coating, don't really think that makes much sense.
parable:
Some doof who was at the bank got side swiped by to crazy crackheads selling speakers out of the back of there van.
"Hey bud, I'm kind of short on cash and I've these extra speakers in my van that need a home", says the crackhead.
"Oh really", replied the doofus who is going to lose his money to crackheads", sounds like a pretty not stupid thing to do, how much are we talking?"
The other crackhead chimes in, "Well these Teflon Coated, Awesomo' brand name speakers sell for about $2,300 in stores and you can use them to cook with to on this Divinci receiver, we will do the package price of $300 for both because I need crack money, I mean our boss is going to kill us.
Doofus interjects, "what about crack?''
"What, I didn't say anything about crack, just buy the stupid, I mean awesome speakers," the crackhead resonded.
"OK, well I guess since they are Teflon coated and all, sure I'll get them," Said Doofus.
Sucker, I mean,....thanx buddy", the crackhead hesitantly replied.
Moral of the story is don't be a doofus or smoke crack, respectively:D
No crackheads or doofusses were harmed during this parable:laugh:

Alex/d

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
Hey Seth... I found a company today that we can add to the list, but I gotta find it again though. I lost the company name...:emoji_thumbsup::thumbsdown:

Alex/d

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
Oh yeah... I found the company :D
It's called "Scam Tech"
Listen to their quote:
"At Scam Tech, we take great pride in providing our customers the best listening experience possible. That's why we make only one speaker, and make it great. Our Stdoodio Searies speakers represent the pinnicle of hand crafted worksmanship, years of development and research, and our undying passion to bring quality for value.
Our design:
-Crossover
htf_imgcache_1102.jpeg

htf_imgcache_1103.jpeg

We start with high quality Nichicon capacitors, and Burr Brown solid state electronics in our crossover assembelys to ensure that your sound is rich and natural, just as the master copy intended.
-Bindindg Posts
htf_imgcache_1104.jpeg

We use high quality machined brass billets (they only look like 9mm gun casings) to ensure high quality connections to our highly and lovingly designed speakers.
-Tuned Bass Apeture (A Scam Tech Exclusive! )
htf_imgcache_1105.jpeg

The unique design of our Bass Apeture is spirled (unlike a golf ball) to ensure high flow and accurite tuning of our high output bass driver.
-Driver Configuration
htf_imgcache_1106.jpeg

As you can plainly see, our speaker's elegance is second to none. Our electrostatic main driver is transparent and completely natural, leaving you spell bound when any number of vocals arrive as well as soft, subtle pianos.
Our revolutionary woofer is sized to ensure a small footprint, but make an unheard of 3" of travel!
Our top mounted tweeter, with glass filled rods, helps eliminate resonance, and brings out the highest reproduction avalible to dog whistles.
-Quality Seal of Approval
htf_imgcache_1107.jpeg

Our speakers run at an unheard of 130.407 Watts RMS to ensure plenty of power and loudness for even the most extreme situations. (warning, peak RMS can be -27 W).

-The beauty
If you are tired of your wife telling you that your speakers don't match your decor, then you are in luck. We have reproduced the exact longitude and latitude location of our Holland Engineering Plant's playground field in the back of thier building. Just one look at the meadowy fields, and your wife will fall in love. Don't belive us? Let the speakers "speak for themselves".
htf_imgcache_1108.jpeg

htf_imgcache_1109.jpeg

I hope you know I spent 2 hours to make this gag :D :D :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks