What's new

While we weren't paying attention Playstation Plus has gotten badass (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. I see where I was making my life too difficult (starting at playstation.com) and extra complex (not using the little mini add-to-cart buttons).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
LSKoVE4.png

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
While that chart does present a great argument, it's a bit misleading. I'm sure that if you took each game, looked up their Metacritic/GameRankings rating, looked at the cheapest price (new or used) within a month or two of when it was on PS+, and then removed everything that you had absolutely no interest in ever playing....it would be a much smaller value.

It's still more than the annual PS+ fee, and you do get PS4 online gaming (which, by the way, I've actually never used), but it's still a very different value.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
You're milage is always going to vary when things are "free". I know I get my money out of the PS+ membership. If I average two titles that I thought of buying, then it's a win.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
DaveF said:
Yeah, but who has time to play any of these free game? #Destiny

Some of us played Destiny the first time around when it was called HALO :P

I've found some fun games I never would of bought through the PS+. SLY FOX 1 was a nice little plat-former despite some annoying stages. Currently playing COSTUME QUEST which is the perfect cutesy RPG I've been itching for before jumping into an a-list title.

Of course, there's been a bunch of Street Fighter type games given away that I never played since I hate the genre, but it was still nice to give them a little spin to check up on them.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've never played an MGS game so I guess I'll give this one a spin eventually. Call of Juarez might be fun to bang through too.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Ground Zeroes is a short in the same way that Tetris or Street Fighter are short. It's not about a single run through the story, it's about using it as a sandbox. And the extra missions are a ton of fun.

Ideally, it was released to let fans get a taste of the new game because things are so different from MGS4. Also, Konami probably needed a stopgap way to make money because I'm sure that game was expensive.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
June for PS3 is Call of Juarez: Gunslinger but its just a demo. The same demo that downloaded for free many months ago, maybe last year?,

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you play "Ground Zeroes", don't waste your time picking up or acquiring lethal weapons. They shouldn't have even been included in the game as the use of them results in a huge penalty.

Edit: Also, the game sucks in that you are assessed a penalty based on the amount of time taken to complete it. The penalties affect your ranking. I can understand a penalty for using lethal force, but one for the amount of time taken to complete? Completing the game fast means taking the most direct route and encountering guards more often which means the chances of having to use lethal force go up a lot. If the whole game has to be completed as a sneak mission to avoid penalizing deaths then the amount of time to finish it is going to go up a lot, especially if you are looking for special items; yet, you get penalized for that as well. It's B.S.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
RolandL said:
June for PS3 is Call of Juarez: Gunslinger but its just a demo. The same demo that downloaded for free many months ago, maybe last year?,

I just tried mine and it works fine. Did you check your download que to make sure the demo unlock downloaded and was installed? Otherwise, I'd delete it try it again.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
MGSV:GZ is a fantastic game, so long as you really "get" it.

Edwin - have you played any of the MGS games before? MGSV controls a little differently (they all have a similar control layout) and there are new systems implemented, but generally the core gameplay (sneak around, don't get caught, use non-lethal force, move quickly) is the same. Honestly, to say "the game sucks because it penalizes you for X Y Z" is like saying "Street Fighter sucks because you lose if you don't know any moves" or "Skyrim sucks if you don't like pressing buttons." Arguably, there's little inherent value in the rating the game gives you since you can continue to unlock stuff and play through for fun. You can kill as many people as you want and blow things up and wreak all sorts of havoc if your goal is to just have fun with it. Or you can try to learn the optimal path, learn enemy movement patterns, etc. to try and get a higher rating. The game is short primarily because you're supposed to play through it more than once and try to explore all of these things. The first time you play it can take a few hours, but people have beaten the game in less than like 10 minutes.

There's also the extra missions that unlock and the hidden collectibles that unlock even MORE missions. Those are a lot of fun and really showcase the possibilities of the full MGSV:TPP game.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've played MGS IV, so I understand the core gameplay that underpins the series. I guess I should have been more precise. I didn't mean to say the game sucks as a whole. The game was good; although, I wouldn't have paid 70 bucks for it. In this case, "free" was the best route. My bitch was about an aspect of the game: mainly the time penalty assessed for completion. I think assessing a time penalty that affects ranking in a sneaking game is garbage. They could have come up with a much better solution than to penalize the player for the amount of time taken to finish the game. They could have had a trophy system in place to reward players that completed the game within specified periods of time, not hammer someone because their playing style with a game like this is slow and cautious.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Russell G said:
I just tried mine and it works fine. Did you check your download que to make sure the demo unlock downloaded and was installed? Otherwise, I'd delete it try it again.

It does work fine but its the same demo game that I downloaded months ago. In the past, all PS+ free downloads for the PS3 were complete games not demos.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
I've played MGS IV, so I understand the core gameplay that underpins the series. I guess I should have been more precise. I didn't mean to say the game sucks as a whole. The game was good; although, I wouldn't have paid 70 bucks for it. In this case, "free" was the best route. My bitch was about an aspect of the game: mainly the time penalty assessed for completion. I think assessing a time penalty that affects ranking in a sneaking game is garbage. They could have come up with a much better solution than to penalize the player for the amount of time taken to finish the game. They could have had a trophy system in place to reward players that completed the game within specified periods of time, not hammer someone because their playing style with a game like this is slow and cautious.

Just curious, but what did you really miss out on because of the low ranking? They DO give you trophies for higher rankings and stuff, but the ranking itself is effectively the same as a trophy so you're not really missing out on anything of value. Also, Ground Zeroes was only $30 when it came out, not full price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks