What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Yep. Much as I like this movie and would have loved to own the blu-ray, I just cannot bring myself to buy it with all the negative comments. Some movies might be able to stand a little "blue" but not the court of the King of Siam. Oh well, money saved.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
And it's so sad. If ever a movie deserved a brilliant, glittery Blu-ray disc it's definitely "The King and I". The guys at Fox just got a bit too literal with the 'Blue' aspect of Blu-ray.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
I just bought the stand-alone editions of Oklahoma and South Pacific. Both are 4-Disc sets that each include 2 blu-rays and 2 DVDs. The King and I is also available as a 3-disc set (1 blu-ray and 2 DVDs). I'm hoping State Fair and Carousel with get stand-alone editions as well.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Jon Baker said:
I just bought the stand-alone editions of Oklahoma and South Pacific. Both are 4-Disc sets that each include 2 blu-rays and 2 DVDs. The King and I is also available as a 3-disc set (1 blu-ray and 2 DVDs). I'm hoping State Fair and Carousel with get stand-alone editions as well.
When the larger box set was originally released, the press release also mentioned stand-alone editions of "Oklahoma!" and "The King and I", but made no mention of ones for "State Fair" and "Carousel". I assume those will come some time next year.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. I have the R&H collection, was quite pleased with Carousel and South Pacific. Haven't watched The King And I yet but thats for future viewing. Didn't noticed much "blue" about Carousel, in fact it looked quite good on my screen.

Of course I like colorized movies too so you see how much my opinion counts.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
classicmovieguy said:
When the larger box set was originally released, the press release also mentioned stand-alone editions of "Oklahoma!" and "The King and I", but made no mention of ones for "State Fair" and "Carousel". I assume those will come some time next year.
I'm hanging onto my DVD set until State Fair and Carousel are released. I'm happy to have the DVD versions included along with the blu-ray, especially in the case of The King and I because of the color issue on the blu. A nice job with the stand-alone packaging and cover designs/slipcovers as well. Hard to pass up when seeing them on the shelves.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Jon Baker said:
I'm hanging onto my DVD set until State Fair and Carousel are released. I'm happy to have the DVD versions included along with the blu-ray, especially in the case of The King and I because of the color issue on the blu. A nice job with the stand-alone packaging and cover designs/slipcovers as well. Hard to pass up when seeing them on the shelves.
I agree the cover art on the stand-alones are lovely - especially the new art for "South Pacific".

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I just bought the stand-alone "South Pacific" with the 2 Blu-Rays, 2 DVD's and a Digital Copy as part of a Best Buy "Buy 2 $9.99 Blu-Rays And Get The Third One Free" promotion. They also had the "The King And I" and "Oklahoma" Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy sets (that I bought a couple of weeks ago for $25 each) in that promotion. That's right; half of the Rodgers And Hammerstein Blu-Ray box, plus DVD's and Digital Copies and bedecked in pretty cardboard outer sleeves, for $22.38 (Canadian) including tax. Could there be a better way to get oneself a dog in that whole R&H Blu-Ray fight? Put another way: take another look at Mr. Harris' comments about the "Oklahoma" Blu-Ray. Now, today, in Vancouver, it costs $6.66. Canadian! With 2 DVD's and a Digital Copy!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I just bought the Australian release of the Rodgers & Hammerstein Blu-ray collection - and its a RIP OFF. It doesn't include the CinemaScope version of "Oklahoma!" or the Roadshow of "South Pacific". Very lazy for Fox in Australia not to include them. The set is around $50 but even that doesn't make up for not offering the complete package.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
classicmovieguy said:
I just bought the Australian release of the Rodgers & Hammerstein Blu-ray collection - and its a RIP OFF. It doesn't include the CinemaScope version of "Oklahoma!" or the Roadshow of "South Pacific". Very lazy for Fox in Australia not to include them. The set is around $50 but even that doesn't make up for not offering the complete package.
That is VERY bad. I was angry enough when Fox didn't include the 1962 version of State Fair in the box but at least we got both Oklahomas and both South Pacifics. You have every reason to be furious!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Silly to ask, but when you are incredibly desperate then common sense no longer seems to exist.
So here goes then,
Is the Aussie disc of "The King and I" the same BLUE version that we have all grown to detest so much?
I know, stupid question, but .....

Doug.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'd be really surprised if we were given a new transfer just for our tiny market. But stranger things have happened .. eg my only copy on DVD of the greatest Australian childrens' movie of all time, 'Fatty Finn', was released only in England and has never seen the light of day in Australia!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
classicmovieguy said:
Yes it's very bad. Guess I'll be adding the single release of "Oklahoma!" back to my wish list. :(
Oklahoma! is only $9.50 on FoxConnect with their half price sale (use "pumpkin" promo code).

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
If there's an award for the most spectacularly off topic post I could be in the running.

Tonight I went to The Dominion Tottenham Court Road to see White Christmas as a stage musical. In the stalls bar are some fascinating pictures from the building's history as both theatre and cinema.

One picture describes how The Dominion hosted the UK premiere of SOUTH PACIFIC in Todd AO for four years and carries the astonishing claim that the income from that roadshow, reserved seat, separate performance presentation repaid the film's production costs.

No, I can't see it either but would welcome reactions.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
In response to Malcolm...It seems incredible to me, but the same fact is stated both in Joshua Logan's autobiography, and in the liner notes for the CD of the original soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks