What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ The Newsroom -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I don't watch a great deal of television.

But when programming coming from writer Aaron Sorkin is announced, I find it difficult to not record and get to it ASAP.

I'm a huge fan of intelligent, fast-paced, well-written programming. The West Wing, which ran from 1999 to 2006 was a favorite. Studio 60 also looked as if it was going to take off, and I found it extremely sad watching the sets being dismantled at WB in 2007.

Consider Mr. Sorkin's theatrical work, A Few Good Men, Malice (directed by Harold Becker), The American President (Rob Reiner), Charlie Wilson's War, The Social Network and Moneyball.

In every instance, dialogue comes to the fore. It's quick, intense, and in many cases has got to be a rough job for some of the actors speaking so many words, so quickly and so well.

The Newsroom, which I believe runs Sundays on HBO, not only doesn't fall far from the Sorkin tree, but takes what one might presume to be his MO, and kicks it up a couple of notches.

Wonderfully talented cast that keeps the dialogue bouncing -- Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, Sam Waterston, Alison Pill -- with a final result that just makes me smile.

Extremely high quality.

For the first time, I may not be able to restrain myself toward waiting for the Blu-ray, which will naturally look and sound better.

This is exciting stuff.

RAH

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
:(
For a moment, I allowed myself to imagine the (under-appreciated) Ken Finkleman series was coming to Blu-ray.
Oh, well.

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
Doctorossi said:
:(
For a moment, I allowed myself to imagine the (under-appreciated) Ken Finkleman series was coming to Blu-ray.
Oh, well.
OT, but count me a huge fan of Finkleman's show. Sheer brilliance, and absolutely hilarious.
The "The Newsroom" that is the subject of this thread is calling to me from my dvr, not yet watched.:(

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
nealg said:
OT, but count me a huge fan of Finkleman's show. Sheer brilliance, and absolutely hilarious.
Glad to find another who knows it exists, to say nothing of appreciating it. :)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I truly hope this show does better than Studio 60 (which I also loved). Sorkin's dialogue flows like music, and it's shows like these that make me happy that I speak English well enough so I can enjoy it as written instead of having to rely on a dub or subtitles.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Christian Preischl said:
I truly hope this show does better than Studio 60 (which I also loved).
Since it's on HBO and it had solid numbers, I assume they'll announce that it's renewed in the next week or so. Plus, we're talking about the channel that kept unwatched shows like The Wire on for five years, Treme for at least three years and Girls for at least two seasons so they more into account than just the ratings.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/321804/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-the-newsroom-in-blu-ray#post_3942556
Glad to find another who knows it exists, to say nothing of appreciating it.
Rights seem to be owned, or at least were owned, by Acorn Media. Possibly they'll consider a re-issue.

13 Episodes 1996-7, followed by another 19, 2004-5.

I've not seen this, but will find copies and give it a spin.

RAH

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Robert Harris said:
Possibly they'll consider a re-issue.
If memory serves, it's an SD video production, so a Blu-ray release would be of limited value. Definitely worth checking out, though- I think you'd like it, Robert.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Loved Studio 60. Loved it. Was very unhappy it was cancelled.

I take it the first episode is still being repeated this week. Will
now have to catch it in light of RAH's glowing review.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Ronald Epstein said:
I take it the first episode is still being repeated this week.  Will
now have to catch it in light of RAH's glowing review.
HBO repeats its programming numerous times over the course of the week. The episode should also be available On Demand.
I have mixed feelings about the pilot, which seems to be a collection of all of Sorkin's best and worst tics as a writer compiled into one place. The impossibly smart characters who are capable of flawlessly recalling any statistic or historical quote at the drop of a hat are becoming quite annoying. The way the show incorporates real events from two years ago is also an odd choice. The story is literally old news. That said, I look forward to Jane Fonda playing Ted Turner. That sounds like great fun.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by JoshZ /t/321804/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-the-newsroom-in-blu-ray#post_3943380
I have mixed feelings about the pilot, which seems to be a collection of all of Sorkin's best and worst tics as a writer compiled into one place. The impossibly smart characters who are capable of flawlessly recalling any statistic or historical quote at the drop of a hat are becoming quite annoying.
Some of my best friends fit that profile, so, at least to me, it seems rather the norm.

RAH

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Robert Harris said:
Some of my best friends fit that profile, so, at least to me, it seems rather the norm.
Maybe, but every single character on the show is like that. It's a bit much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks