What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Tenebre -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
turtledove said:
Pretty obvious isn't it?

And don't be surprised if the price of Suspiria is even higher - that is if it ever comes out.

It was announced 2 years ago IIRC and reports are that it won't be out this year either.
There have been no "reports" that SUSPIRIA won't be out this year. The only "reports" have been that work on it is continuing. Stop making things up to try and slam Synapse.

Vincent

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Vincent_P said:
For the 6th or 7th or 8th time (I've lost count), if this business model wasn't successful for Synapse on the DEMONS titles, they would not have done it again. This business model also seems to be working out fine for Twilight Time, who only sell out of a handful of their limited edition titles. Most of their Blu-rays are still available for years after release, and they're not going out of business or losing money.

But by all means, continue to call people who disagree with you clueless and keep telling Synapse how they should run their business. They've only been doing this for 18 years now, they clearly need you to swoop in and save them from themselves.

Vincent

I don't think Twilight Time or Synapse rely on a quick return to stay in business but if you can't see that Limited Edtion stock available 3 or 4 years after it came out isn't dead money then I can't help you

Russell G said:
For $39 bucks from Synapse you get a restored bluray, a DVD, alternate scenes, documentary, CD soundtrack and limited edition steel book packaging among other things.

for $21 from the Warner Archive you get a MOD DVD with the film maybe restored and possible a trailer.

Synapse is giving me a better value...

I agree.

Warner Archive are disappointingly expensive for what they offer, specially their dvd tv show sets.

However , they're not limited edtions and very often appear in sales and are available from Amazon with their Blurays often very cheap. Their multi disc dvd sets make this Synapse release look cheap.

As an international customer the Synapse business model hurts more due to the unavailability of these titles from regular outlets.

if I could get the Tenebrae steel for $40 I'd be loving it.

I don't like the Synapse model and that's it but I've said enough now so let's move on to the actual release itself which sounds exemplary.

I'm wondering if I will be able to hold off ordering from Diabolik before it comes out. It really would be an indulgent double dip. The Synapse one is Region A but I don't recall offhand if the Arrow is locked to B

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
turtledove said:
I don't think Twilight Time or Synapse rely on a quick return to stay in business but if you can't see that Limited Edtion stock available 3 or 4 years after it came out isn't dead money then I can't help you

As an international customer the Synapse business model hurts more due to the unavailability of these titles from regular outlets.

if I could get the Tenebrae steel for $40 I'd be loving it.
And if you can't grasp the simple, painfully obvious fact that them doing it again means the DEMONS titles were a financial success for them, then I can't help you.

And I'm sorry that you feel slighted as an "international customer" but these are region A titles, licensed for North America. I don't complain about the high price of Japanese imports, for example. If i want the title, I pay the price. It is what it is, you have to deal with it.

Vincent

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Vincent_P said:
There have been no "reports" that SUSPIRIA won't be out this year. The only "reports" have been that work on it is continuing. Stop making things up to try and slam Synapse.

Vincent

Yes there have and no there haven't and I'm not

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Vincent_P said:
And if you can't grasp the simple, painfully obvious fact that them doing it again means the DEMONS titles were a financial success for them, then I can't help you.

And I'm sorry that you feel slighted as an "international customer" but these are region A titles, licensed for North America. I don't complain about the high price of Japanese imports, for example. If i want the title, I pay the price. It is what it is, you have to deal with it.

Vincent

Of course they are a financial success. Thats why they still have boxes of them in their warehouse years later. Duh!!

If every release sold that "well" they wouldn't last very long.

Your comment about Japanese imports is irrelevant nonsense.

The majority of Japanese imports ARE expensive. ( which is why the only one I have is the 35 disc Columbo Bluray boxset)

Synapse titles such as this stand out as being amongst THE most expensive US releases available.

I have hundreds of US imports. many of them I buy as new releases so don't try and pretend they are priced anything like this release because they are not.

The price I have to pay is nothing to do with them being Region A and is all to do with their unavailability from outlets like Amazon

For the second time - shall we move on now?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
turtledove said:
Yes there have and no there haven't and I'm not
No, there have not been reports that SUSPIRIA will not be out this year. You're lying. The only updates have been that it's still being worked on. No release date info has been discussed AT ALL.

Stop lying.

Vincent

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
turtledove said:
Of course they are a financial success. Thats why they still have boxes of them in their warehouse years later. Duh!!

If every release sold that "well" they wouldn't last very long.
The fact that they're following the same business model again proves that the DEMONS titles were a financial success for them. Your nasty trolling on the internet proves nothing.

Vincent

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
The fact that they're following the same business model again proves that the DEMONS titles were a financial success for them. Your nasty trolling on the internet proves nothing.

Vincent

Why are there so many sad individuals on the internet who need to brush up on the concept of a troll but fool themselves into thinking it's someone who disagrees with them. It's one of the most over used words on forums and is always the last bastion of the member who just can't think of a proper argument and it's often now used way too early in discussions.

Adding the word "nasty" before trolling just makes you sound more desperate than you do already.

Just because you've not been privy to the discussions I have doesn't mean they didn't happen and there has been much discussion over the last few weeks regarding Suspiria and while there is no confirmation either way for certain any suggestions that it will be released this year have been met with replies explaining why the extra work involved means its not likely.

Just because you say the Synapse release of Demons was a success proves nothing either. On the other hand, I'll use Don Mays own admission on his website that they still have some boxes of the steelbooks left in their warehouse.
Don's obviously not in it for the quick return but in my book any over priced Limited Edition that is still available to buy 3 years down the line means it's WAS over priced which is why the standard release came out before the steelbooks were all sold.
I'm not really interested in your fanboy mode comments so unless you have some actual evidence to back up your theories please give it a rest.

There does seem to be a rather unsettling clique of fanboys on the various forums where comments regarding the pricing of the Synapse steelbooks are met with nothing but hostility.
Over on Bluray.com there is something similar with a couple of especially aggressive arrogant unpleasant knowalls ( who really know nothing).
But as one of the more expensive releases I think it's more than fair for people to comment on the price without being shot down by the fanboys.
Until it's actually in someones hands it's certainly going to be the only negative thing about the release anyone will find because contents wise it's certainly looking to be a great release.
Just a shame that the Synapse business model means it won't be available more easily for non US customers

I already have the Demons steelbook ( for the all important original audio that was missing from the Arrow version)- but that doesn't mean I won't say it was over priced. Certainly from an international customers POV the lack of easy availability made it more expensive than it needed to be

I do wonder if the Synapse steel packaging will be any better than the Arrow one I already have.

Last edited:

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Neither, for shipping purposes, if just a few cents per order are spent on packing materials. That's the point.

They're making money off of shipping it to you and money off of the absurd notion that this collectible is worth more because of contrived supply. That's a joke. One hopefully that is still funny when someone's steelbook "collection" is worth pennies on the dollar.

But the fanboy wants, what the fanboy wants. Right?

I agree Rich.
Steelbooks will need extra padding but even though it won't apply to me I find the $6 extra a bit OTT.
What on earth cardboard , bubble wrap wise could come to $6?

Edit - I decided to bite the bullet and order from Diabolik. Unfortunately the site is not secure so the auto card filling in doesn't work ( and I can't remember my number off the top of my head)which means I have to pay instantly via paypal and I almost did. But when I got there the pound sterling amount was over £50. That's just silly. Diabolik postage does cover more than one title but I don't really want anything else at the moment.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I agree Rich.
Steelbooks will need extra padding but even though it won't apply to me I find the $6 extra a bit OTT.
What on earth cardboard , bubble wrap wise could come to $6?
Nothing but it's not free to ship that box. I don't know exactly how Synapse will ship the sets but I send enough stuff to know that $6 is a reasonable expectation for a small box with a heavy (for a Blu-ray or DVD) set.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Vincent knows of what he speaks. He's not an official Synapse representative, but he's been tight with Don and Co. for quite a while. Perhaps you've seen their dvd of his film, A Better Place?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
my order is in, and hope for SUSPIRIA, just wish that someone in the US was handling Jack Hill's Switchblade Sisters, know that Diabolik Exclusive was like 300 copies and i don't even know if it was region free, but I missed out on it.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Nothing but it's not free to ship that box. I don't know exactly how Synapse will ship the sets but I send enough stuff to know that $6 is a reasonable expectation for a small box with a heavy (for a Blu-ray or DVD) set.

I realise that but didn't Synapse say the $6 was an additional cost just for the special packaging needed to keep the steel safe and is in addition to the usual postage charge?

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
For $39 bucks from Synapse you get a restored bluray, a DVD, alternate scenes, documentary, CD soundtrack and limited edition steel book packaging among other things. For $21 from the Warner Archive you get a MOD DVD with the film maybe restored and possible a trailer. Synapse is giving me a better value...

Sophistry. Finding something of lesser perceived value does not make the case that your purchase has value, or more importantly, is a good idea. It's just the Young Frankenstein argument ... Could be worse ... could be raining.

If this were a big studio with huge financial backing, I'd be complaining. However, it's evident to me that Don May is doing these releases more out of a love for the films than to get rich. Outside of Criterion, I'm hard-pressed to think of any other company that would bother doing this amount of restoration on a film like this.

You've convinced me. Don May is first and foremost in the business because he is a lover of film.

18_large.jpg

Edit: Don't know why the image is not showing ...

http://synapse-films.com/dvds/entrails-of-a-virgin/

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I realise that but didn't Synapse say the $6 was an additional cost just for the special packaging needed to keep the steel safe and is in addition to the usual postage charge?

I stated back in post 24 that they ship for free to the US for normal shipments (probably Media Mail). So it appears they are using a different class of shipment for this title.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
I don't know if it's different for international shipping but I paid a total of $6 for shipping within the US.
That's not too bad then. From the wording I saw I got the impression the $6 was extra on top of the usual postage charge.
Unfortunately very different for international customers.
I was reasonably certain I would get this at some point but having gone to pay by paypal and been expected to pay just over £50 ( via Diabolik) I will have to find an alternative source. Apart from rare deleted titles I don't think I've ever paid over £50 for a single movie that wasn't a special boxset or similar.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Let's take it down a notch. I should probably start issuing warnings all around but I'm going to hold off for now. Next personal attack gets a vacation tho, please don't make us do it, you guys are all long time posters here and you've made some great contributions and should know better....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks