What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Raiders of the Lost Ark -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Dave H /t/323399/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-in-blu-ray/90#post_3972454
I agree. I paid $14, but man, the audio was just way too loud in the Imax theater. This was the case when I saw Prometheus there too. I almost got up to tell management, but didn't want to miss any of the film.

I have that same problem in any theater playing any movie in any format here in Seattle. I swear Detroit-area theaters play their movies quite a bit lower. There's almost a feeling of being blown out of the theater around here. Friends think I'm nuts.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Jason_V said:
I have that same problem in any theater playing any movie in any format here in Seattle.  I swear Detroit-area theaters play their movies quite a bit lower.  There's almost a feeling of being blown out of the theater around here.  Friends think I'm nuts.
It took me a while to recover my hearing after seeing the imax Raiders. I'm no prude when it comes to healthy volume levels, but that was just rediculous. I've had a headache all weekend because of it. Does anyone really think that kind of volume level is necessary?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Harmy said:
/t/323399/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-in-blu-ray/120#post_3972528
It took me a while to recover my hearing after seeing the imax Raiders. I'm no prude when it comes to healthy volume levels, but that was just rediculous. I've had a headache all weekend because of it. Does anyone really think that kind of volume level is necessary?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert /t/323399/while-we-wait-for-a-few-words-about-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-in-blu-ray/120#post_3972528

Huh?

Seriously though, I'm sure that theaters want to make sure you get the "IMAX experience" and cranking the volume is probably something they do on purpose to differentiate that experience from a regular theater. The volume level at my Raiders IMAX screening was ridiculously loud as well.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
I saw a few clips of a blu ray rip today and I am a bit concerned. The colors have an orange/brownish shift and the picture just looks flat. No pop at all. It looks like a faded print, not a 4k negative scan. The DVD has much better colors and contrast. It has the issues people noted in the imax screening but much worse. I am hoping the rip is part of the problem, but they were pretty high quality clips. The ark opening in particular looks bad, flat and orange hued, which I did notice in the imax screening. I will certainly reserve judgement until will have actual reviews, but I am definitely not pleased with what I saw. Has anyone else seen clips or are they any reviews out yet?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've had some loud IMAX experiences but nothing too crazy. The one time I can remember thinking "This is too loud" was when I saw Heat (obviously in a standard theater) and it was loud enough that my ears still hurt the next day. It was like I had been to a concert which is pretty bad when consider that a concert is 2 or 3 hours of music and Heat has 20 or so minutes of loud noises.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I mentioned that in the IMAX thread, mostly noticeable in the opening section, very brown/orangey

Dave MJ

Second Unit
TonyD said:
I mentioned that in the IMAX thread, mostly noticeable in the opening section, very brown/orangey
It seems to be worse on the blu ray, and flat looking. The ark opening looks bad too. I didnt see other scenes.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Dave MJ said:
I saw a few clips of a blu ray rip today and I am a bit concerned. The colors have an orange/brownish shift and the picture just looks flat. No pop at all. It looks like a faded print, not a 4k negative scan. The DVD has much better colors and contrast. It has the issues people noted in the imax screening but much worse. I am hoping the rip is part of the problem, but they were pretty high quality clips. The ark opening in particular looks bad, flat and orange hued, which I did notice in the imax screening. I will certainly reserve judgement until will have actual reviews, but I am definitely not pleased with what I saw. Has anyone else seen clips or are they any reviews out yet?
Very hard to believe the DVD would have better color and contrast. I have seen a few screenshots of the BD at another forum and they look outstanding and very film-like. I did see warmer, orange-brown skintones at the Imax viewing last night. However, I thought it matched the film well.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
JamesNelson said:
I've heard that the IMAX amplifiers go up to 11. They are one louder.
Most amps only go to 10. Where can you go from there? Nowhere!
: )

From the caps I have seen, the film looks more like I remember it in 1981...brighter and warmer...and oranger. The dvd looks too cool and blue.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
eric scott richard said:
From the caps I have seen, the film looks more like I remember it in 1981...brighter and warmer...and oranger. The dvd looks too cool and blue.
Agreed, that is how I remember it.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
One thing I noticed absent from the extras was anything that discussed the 4K restoration for Raiders. I really enjoy these types of presentations especially as seen for The Godfather and Jaws.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Here are a few screenshot comparisons. First one is DVD, second is blu ray. These shouldn't be used as a resolution comparison, just trying to show the orangish colors, which vary in intensity from shot to shot. There is also a lack of shadow detail and a rather flat look to some shots, also inconsistent.
ebeb7b48_RaidersTohtBlu.jpeg

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Dave MJ said:
Here are a few screenshot comparisons. First one is DVD, second is blu ray. These shouldn't be used as a resolution comparison, just trying to show the orangish colors, which vary in intensity from shot to shot. There is also a lack of shadow detail and a rather flat look to some shots, also inconsistent...
"Lack of shadow detail and flat look"? The DVD shots you posted are the ones that look "flat" to me. As for the "orangish colors", the DVD shots look too magenta compared to the Blu-ray IMO, especially the flesh tones.
Vincent

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Vincent_P said:
"Lack of shadow detail and flat look"? The DVD shots you posted are the ones that look "flat" to me. As for the "orangish colors", the DVD shots look too magenta compared to the Blu-ray IMO, especially the flesh tones.
Vincent
You are entitled to your opinion of course, but the DVD (and every previous home video incarnation) has much more accurate flesh tones than many shots on the blu ray. Seeing the shots in motion makes it more obvious than screenshots of course. The shots of Indy and Marion in particular are much too orange, especially considering they shouldnt be orange at all. The ghosts change color from shot to shot. And there is inconsistent shadow detail which the screenshots show quite clearly. "Flat" is probably not the right term. The blu ray is more contrasty, but not in a popping kind of way. Some of the shots look like a high contrast print that has faded. The third row of screenshots is an example. The bottom line is that the blu ray looks looks quite different than any previous release of the movie, for better or worse. IMO it is distractingly for the worse, particularly in this scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks