What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (4 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
JoshZ said:
Even if the player does have Component outputs, current regulations require that any video played through an analog connection must be downgraded to standard definition quality. Only early generation Blu-ray players were capable of transmitting high definition through Component. That was taken away with the "analog sunset." As such, he wouldn't see much benefit over DVD until he gets a new TV with HDMI.
Boo! I didn't realize that was a thing.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Is Robert Harris reading this thread? I have a question for him.

When you were restoring Lawrence of Arabia, some of the dialogue was re-recorded for the missing scenes. Some by the original actors, others by soundalikes. Why was this done for LOA, but not for the missing dialogue in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World? Was it because they were able to find most of the original dialogue for those scenes in 6-track tape form?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
IntoIt said:
Is Robert Harris reading this thread? I have a question for him.

When you were restoring Lawrence of Arabia, some of the dialogue was re-recorded for the missing scenes. Some by the original actors, others by soundalikes. Why was this done for LOA, but not for the missing dialogue in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World? Was it because they were able to find most of the original dialogue for those scenes in 6-track tape form?
Not certain that I understand the question. In the case of Lawrence, we were creating a well-budgeted reconstruction of the original, with access to talent. 15 minutes of audio was missing.

In the case of MW, via Criterion, we were creating a near re-creation of the roadshow version specifically for fans in HD only.

Very different projects, mindsets and budgets.

RAH

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Well, Robert, it doesn't matter. To me, I am glad you did not redub the missing dialogue for MW. I wish all restorations of films back to their original length with missing dialogue were like that.

Redubbing is kind of a turn-off for me, especially if it is a soundalike.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
RAH, have ye seen the Mastered in 4K™ Blu-ray version of Lawrence? If so, I wondered what your thoughts were.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Geoff_D said:
RAH, have ye seen the Mastered in 4K™ Blu-ray version of Lawrence? If so, I wondered what your thoughts were.
Yes. Gorgeous. Looks like an original negative print.

RAH

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TravisR said:
He was... somewhat outspoken about the All The President's Men Blu-ray, eh?
I love that quote, we need more outspoken informed opinions like that, what he says relates to many more films which have been given the "contrast boost" edition for blu ray, i'll print the words below just in case some people don't click the link.

[color=rgb(59,59,59);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12.727272033691406px;font-style:italic;]“[The Blu-ray version of [/color]All the President's Men[color=rgb(59,59,59);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12.727272033691406px;font-style:italic;] is] all fucked up. All the medium tones [are wrong] and contrast is way higher than it oughta be. It’s overloaded. All they had to do was use the most recent DVD as a reference, because that’s fine. They probably think they’ll get [me] in there and it’ll turn into a problem, but it’s definitely a problem when they don’t. They don’t get it. They get on those fucking dials … it’s a disease. Their idea for a Blu-ray is to make it for guys who are watching football.”[/color]

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Robert Harris said:
What?! No Goldfinger 3 sheet?

No matter. Already have one.

GF_3SHT.jpg

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I love that quote, we need more outspoken informed opinions like that, what he says relates to many more films which have been given the "contrast boost" edition for blu ray, i'll print the words below just in case some people don't click the link.

“[The Blu-ray version of [/size]All the President's Men[/size] is] all fucked up. All the medium tones [are wrong] and contrast is way higher than it oughta be. It’s overloaded. All they had to do was use the most recent DVD as a reference, because that’s fine. They probably think they’ll get [me] in there and it’ll turn into a problem, but it’s definitely a problem when they don’t. They don’t get it. They get on those fucking dials … it’s a disease. Their idea for a Blu-ray is to make it for guys who are watching football.”[/size]
Yup, a lot of DVD's are just about spot on when it comes to colour & contrast, but a few years later someone else works on the Blu-ray, & it's HD & sharper, but the colour & contrast are not quite right! There's been more than a few posts about that sort of thing here.

Mind you, reading some posts (not so much here, but over at Blu-ray.com), a lot of people couldn't care less about the colour or contrast...as long as it's sharp!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Billy Batson said:
Yup, a lot of DVD's are just about spot on when it comes to colour & contrast, but a few years later someone else works on the Blu-ray, & it's HD & sharper, but the colour & contrast are not quite right! There's been more than a few posts about that sort of thing here.Mind you, reading some posts (not so much here, but over at Blu-ray.com), a lot of people couldn't care less about the colour or contrast...as long as it's sharp!
They're all a bunch of teenagers over there, aren't they? That's what I get from reading the posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks