What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
There most certainly is a sense of loss. But I'm encouraged by the new digital medium in this one respect. I'm finding more and more theaters are able to show classic films since they can be delivered digitally. I'm now able to see my favorite films in a lot more theaters instead of hoping they will appear at my local art house. Yes, there is a loss for those of us who grew up on film and really appreciate its aesthetic quality. But knowing that people younger than me can still be exposed to great cinema at their local theater is very comforting.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
owen35 said:
There most certainly is a sense of loss. But I'm encouraged by the new digital medium in this one respect. I'm finding more and more theaters are able to show classic films since they can be delivered digitally. I'm now able to see my favorite films in a lot more theaters instead of hoping they will appear at my local art house. Yes, there is a loss for those of us who grew up on film and really appreciate its aesthetic quality. But knowing that people younger than me can still be exposed to great cinema at their local theater is very comforting.
You would think so but there is not a DCP of ANNIE HALL at the moment anD MGM has no idea when there will be on. There is a lag right now between some classic titles that are not available on DCP.

nikonf5

Agent
Real Name
Mian
As a filmbuff in the IT business, from an IT perspective, the data archival problems inherent in the digital realm are not being looked at carefully enough.

This problem is completely absent in the film realm and is one of the reasons film lasted as long as it did.

A good doc that touches on this and related subjects:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2014338/

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
owen35 said:
If they can get it right. Saw Meet Me in St. Louis stretched to 1.85:1 at Shubert theatre in New Haven, CT. There were only 30 people in the audience, and the Shubert was never a movie theatre so, no big deal. It was holiday party for subscribers but a snow storm reduced the attendance.

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
It doesn't say when this new master was created. I played It Happened One Night on DCP last Valentines Day and the credits were windowboxed. That had to have been the older version, right?
I can't imagine they'd prepare a windowboxed version meant for 4K TVs.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Looking at the 60ies and earlier titles on the 4k unlimited service Sony has some great titles available:It happened one NightOn the WaterfrontThe Bridge on the River KwaiThe Guns of Navaroneand of courseLawrence of Arabia

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh my. Exceptional.

I know one should always leave 'em wanting more. But what this left me wanting was the ability (after taking in the whole thing, of course) to stay on one of those shots at a time...say, looking across the city from the Griffith Observatory...and watch and marvel at just that one view of the lights and movement for a while.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Just a cougar eating dinner in the hills east of LA....

lion-and-deer.jpg

Can't tell if she killed it or if that's just fortuitous roadkill.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Dennis Nicholls said:
Just a cougar eating dinner in the hills east of LA....
lion-and-deer.jpg
Can't tell if she killed it or if that's just fortuitous roadkill.
And this is connected to Lawrence Of Arabia how?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks