What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Richard Gallagher said:
More (including the trailer) on Katherine of Alexandria here:

Katherine of Alexandria
When i see trailers like that it reminds me just how great some of those fifties/sixties epics truly are, i don't think they could make a Lawrence Of Arabia or a Ben Hur today, i mean sure they can try to make them, see Troy as one example of an attempt, unfortunately films like Troy rely on CGI to create their cast of thousands and my brain, perhaps other people's brains too, can detect something isn't quite right.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Rest in peace, Mr. O'Toole. He was one of the finest actors to grace the silver screen..

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Watched LOA this evening on the new wide screen. What a joy to behold!

I'm sure that it must have given him great satisfaction to know that his body of work will continue to be appreciated by many, many generations of film fans.

LOA.jpg

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steen
FoxyMulder said:
When i see trailers like that it reminds me just how great some of those fifties/sixties epics truly are, i don't think they could make a Lawrence Of Arabia or a Ben Hur today, i mean sure they can try to make them, see Troy as one example of an attempt, unfortunately films like Troy rely on CGI to create their cast of thousands and my brain, perhaps other people's brains too, can detect something isn't quite right.
I wonder if we're really "detecting" that something isn't right, or if it is merely that we know that the CG is CG. I suppose it would be possible to set up some kind double-blind test, but it'd be pretty tricky. :)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Steen DK said:
I wonder if we're really "detecting" that something isn't right, or if it is merely that we know that the CG is CG. I suppose it would be possible to set up some kind double-blind test, but it'd be pretty tricky. :)
I think it's probably both. Also, I doubt any studio these days wants to take the risk of transporting thousand of cast and crew to a remote location in the world and dealing with all the logistical issues and unknown costs. Even though 'good' CG is expensive, it's pretty much a known expense.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Steen DK said:
When I see CG, what I detect all too often is the presentation of it defies what human beings with a camera can do in the real world. The cinematic tricks and moves of the pre-CG world, miniatures, backdrops, process shots and all, always looked like something that came about as the result of something created and maneuvered by the hand of man, not something conjured up in gravity-free, material-free cyber-space. So today we get lots and lots and lots of shots of impossible subject matter, impossible creations, impossible moves and actions, mostly because "we can" rather than for any meaningful thematic, character or emotional purpose. Which makes for a lot of empty cinema passing before our eyes in the course of the story. Defenders of CG will tell us we sit passively in the face of those impossible tricks and stunts because we are more aware now of the artifice of filmmaking than audiences of the past. I disagree. I think we sit passively in the face of them because they are empty, trivial and are just not particularly cinematic in the first place.

They are photographic. Fine. But not particularly cinematic.

Real Name
Bond
Just noticed the Aero Theatre has scheduled a 70mm showing on Sat.

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/lawrence-of-arabia-10

I'm guessing this is the 1989 print, wasn't the 2012 Restoration 4K DCP only? Anyone know the state of the print they're using? When I went to see Vertigo in 70mm at the Egyptian months ago, I was pretty disappointed at the quality; later a friend saw the same print and confirmed it was very poor compared to the one he'd seen in Austin, TX at the Alamo Drafthouse.

Would love to see LOA on the big screen if it's a good print.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
AstonMartin007 said:
Just noticed the Aero Theatre has scheduled a 70mm showing on Sat. http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/lawrence-of-arabia-10 I'm guessing this is the 1989 print, wasn't the 2012 Restoration 4K DCP only? Anyone know the state of the print they're using? When I went to see Vertigo in 70mm at the Egyptian months ago, I was pretty disappointed at the quality; later a friend saw the same print and confirmed it was very poor compared to the one he'd seen in Austin, TX at the Alamo Drafthouse. Would love to see LOA on the big screen if it's a good print.
One of the reasons for moving to digital: Print quality varies quite a bit. But when you get a really good one it is absolutely worth the price of admission and more!

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have seen the 1998 70mm Dolby SR and the 70mm DTS which i am sure was re colour
timmed ,

Also seen the 4K , and like Oliver says you cant beat a good Super Panavision 70 print.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks