What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is probably old news to many of you but i just read it.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/01/red-dragon-first-image-scarlet-upgrade-path/

A digital camera that can now rival 65mm film, it will be interesting to see the new films shot with this camera when they come out.
This is the 1st time in history that a digital sensor blows away the dynamic range of film… and at a resolution that rivals 65mm. Couple that with 80+ fps at full resolution. Of course you can shoot lower resolution at higher frame rates. Record to a small SSD. REDCODE. Dragon. RED.
This is the equivalent to HDRx +5. Native. I guess we just obsoleted HDRx. Oh, well. Progress.
Technology just keeps getting better, now if only cinema screens would get bigger to take advantage of all this.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Charles Smith said:
Long live Anne V. Coates.
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Lucida Grande', Arial;]"Women make good editors – they generally have more patience as they deal with children all the time, which is much the same as dealing with directors." :D [/color]

A great editor is not always a great diplomat! I hope directors do not take offence at that remark. Very sorry to hear about her back and leg problems: I hope it's not sciatica; very nasty and very painful.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
FoxyMulder said:
This is probably old news to many of you but i just read it.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/01/red-dragon-first-image-scarlet-upgrade-path/

A digital camera that can now rival 65mm film, it will be interesting to see the new films shot with this camera when they come out.

Technology just keeps getting better, now if only cinema screens would get bigger to take advantage of all this.
RED can keep throwing pixels at their sensors and claim that they rival 35mm, 65mm, IMAX, or super-duper-ultra-awesome-9,000mm film - but their cameras still have a distinctive "video" appearance and mushy colors. The 1080p Alexa will continue to outperform them until they solve that problem.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
JoshZ said:
RED can keep throwing pixels at their sensors and claim that they rival 35mm, 65mm, IMAX, or super-duper-ultra-awesome-9,000mm film - but their cameras still have a distinctive "video" appearance and mushy colors. The 1080p Alexa will continue to outperform them until they solve that problem.
I think it's more a question of how the filmmakers use the tools, i have seen plenty of great looking Red shot movies, digital post production fixes much these days so if there are mushy colours it's because they want them to look that way.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Moe Dickstein said:
The Alexa is 4k
The Alexa has a 1920x1080 imager. After debayering and 1.5x oversampling, Arri describes it as a "2k" camera. As recently as three months ago, the company said: "4K, right now, is way overhyped."

Many cinematographers agree that the overall picture quality is far more important than pixel count.

RED is popular because it's cheap and the company hypes its ever-increasing pixel counts. This has allowed it to proliferate in television and indie film productions. Very few big budget productions use RED, because they can get better picture quality from competing 2k cameras.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
JoshZ said:
The Alexa has a 1920x1080 imager. After debayering and 1.5x oversampling, Arri describes it as a "2k" camera. As recently as three months ago, the company said: "4K, right now, is way overhyped."

Many cinematographers agree that the overall picture quality is far more important than pixel count.

RED is popular because it's cheap and the company hypes its ever-increasing pixel counts. This has allowed it to proliferate in television and indie film productions. Very few big budget productions use RED, because they can get better picture quality from competing 2k cameras.
I think that is changing, both the Red Epic and Sony F65 are in demand now.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I thought the Alexa had a 2.8K sensor.

EDIT: According to Abel Cinetech, it has a 3.5K sensor: http://www.abelcine.com/store/Classic-ARRI-ALEXA-Starter-Kit/

EDIT 2: From Wikipedia: "Sensor Information: The Alexa's ALEV III sensor has 3392 × 2200 effective pixels used for generating an image, however, only 2880 × 2160 pixels are used for recording on the Alexa Studio and M in 4:3 mode, and 2880 × 1620 pixels are used for recording on the regular Alexa and other models in 16:9 mode, the rest are used for lookaround in the viewfinder.[4]"

Vincent
JoshZ said:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
AdrianTurner said:
I first saw the Restoration in London at the Odeon Marble Arch in the company of Sir David, Robert Bolt and several others who had made the picture. I'm sure Robert Harris would have been there as well. It turned out to be a controversial screening because this particular cinema had the only surviving deep-curve screen in London. It was never a Cinerama theatre but had been designed for D-150 presentations and I just loved seeing movies on that huge screen, which was actually used quite rarely as the fashion for 70mm faded. Anyway, Lawrence burst on to this incredible screen and I thought the whole experience was unforgettable. Unfortunately, Sir David didn't. He hated the way the curve affected the horizons in the film and created all sorts of other distortions and so - and this is POWER - he got Columbia to dismantle the screen and instal a regular flat screen instead. Aesthetically Sir David was quite right; a pity he killed London's most spectacular cinema as well.
Unfortunately, DL didn't make the screening, as he was in the hospital. I visited him there the previous day. He knew that I'd wanted to meet Richard Attenborough, and found myself strangely seated directly behind him.

Great performance in Matter of Life and Death. I recall him turning around shortly after we arrived, and introducing himself. Nice evening, especially spending time with the entire camera crew.

RAH

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Re The Odeon Marble Arch, I posted some pics from 1978 when it had the last D -150 presentation of Star Wars on the
IN 70mm .com Website last year.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Vincent_P said:
I thought the Alexa had a 2.8K sensor.

EDIT: According to Abel Cinetech, it has a 3.5K sensor: http://www.abelcine.com/store/Classic-ARRI-ALEXA-Starter-Kit/

EDIT 2: From Wikipedia: "Sensor Information: The Alexa's ALEV III sensor has 3392 × 2200 effective pixels used for generating an image, however, only 2880 × 2160 pixels are used for recording on the Alexa Studio and M in 4:3 mode, and 2880 × 1620 pixels are used for recording on the regular Alexa and other models in 16:9 mode, the rest are used for lookaround in the viewfinder.[4]"
I'm finding contradictory info on this all over the web. I'm sure you're closer to this than I am. Regardless, Arri calls it a "2k" camera and has been downplaying the hype over 4k, which is all I was getting at.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Did anyone else have to keep changing the volume on this film. At times I had to turn the volume way up when they were speaking, and down again when the music came on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks