What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in 4k/UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
bujaki said:
Cinemark is screening LoA next Wednesday, 20 March, at 2 and 7. If you missed it the first time around and you live near a Cinemark, here's your chance to see it. In Plano, TX, it will screen in the XD auditorium. I just saw West Side Story there today. The Saul Bass title sequence did not have a fade to black. Makes one wonder about why they couldn't get the BD right...
I saw Lawrence last Wednesday evening the local Cinemark XD, it was breathtaking.

Curious about your West SIde Story comment. I purposely skipped it because of the blu-ray bungle. If it didn't fade-to-black, how was the transition handled?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Trying to find The Big Country thread, cannot find it, will post here, it's currently showing on Channel 5 in the UK, blown up to 1.78:1, awful compromise, but i can still see the issue with things not looking the right shape in some scenes, a lot of scenes, was it the lenses when they filmed it or did someone mess up all versions currently used for distribution, one of my favourite westerns but i cannot spend money on a badly flawed release.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
FoxyMulder said:
Trying to find The Big Country thread, cannot find it, will post here, it's currently showing on Channel 5 in the UK, blown up to 1.78:1, awful compromise, but i can still see the issue with things not looking the right shape in some scenes, a lot of scenes, was it the lenses when they filmed it or did someone mess up all versions currently used for distribution, one of my favourite westerns but i cannot spend money on a badly flawed release.
The release also lacks the original stereo sound mix. Supposedly, it's been lost to the ages but some private collectors are rumored to have stereo prints in their possession. Given that so much effort went into restoring the OCN, you'd think that they would care enough to look for better audio elements.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Jonathan WInters Dies at 87By STEPHEN M. SILVERMAN
04/12/2013 at 01:20 PM EDT

Jonathan Winters – an improvisational genius and the comedic spiritual godfather to a generation of younger comics, including Robin Williams, Jim Carey and the late Andy Kaufman – died of natural causes, surrounded by family and friends, Thursday night at his home in Montecito, Calif., the Associated Press reports. He was 87. Known for the wild array of characters he could create in a flash – his naughty old lady Maude Frickert was a Tonight Showheadliner who routinely broke up hosts Jack Paar and then Johnny Carson – Winters, playing doltish truck driver Lennie Pike, stole the all-star 1963 movie It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World out from every name comedian who was breathing at the time.. A Dayton, Ohio, native, Winters dropped out of high school to join the Marines, with whom he served in the Pacific during World War II. After the war he deejayed on radio station back in his hometown, where he could never quite deliver the weather in a straight fashion. "About the third day, I decided that I'd interview myself," he recalled years later for a PBS special, Pioneers of Television, saying he wished "to gamble a little bit with this so-called career. So I said, 'Ladies and gentlemen, we have a wonderful gentleman here … Sir Edmund Denler. [He's] flown a secret flight aircraft all the way from London to Labrador, Labrador here to Dayton, and just wonderful to have you here, sir …' "
The radio station owner was not amused. The radio audience was. A shot on CBS's Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts led to other spots on network TV and then on Broadway, in the revue Almanac. His true launching pad, in 1956, was the weekly TV varietyThe Jonathan Winters Show. And though it was hard to contain him on the small screen – records and clubs were his forte – Winters returned the medium back in 1981, to play Robin William's father in the last season of ABC's Mork and Mindy. Truly a comedian's comedian, Winters received the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor in 1999. On a personal level, his wife of 60 years, Eileen, died, age 84, in early 2009, according to a friend's published remembrance. Later in life, Winters credited much of his early success to the savvyTV hosts who grabbed him and put him on the air in the early '60s. According to Winters, they would say: "One thing about Winters, you never knew what he's going to say or do." He added: "I don't think they sweated my being dirty … or embarrassing … they knew I would be funny." And was he ever.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Silly me, I thought I remembered reading that Kodak had already gotten out of the game, but I guess that was just them trimming their catalog of options down to "the basics"

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Interesting to see what the stabilizing does to some of the shots, gives it an interesting digital look. The speed is wonderful, to see natural motion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks