1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jan 23, 2011.

1. McHugh

McHugh Auditioning

It would be interesting to compare our collections. I live in Calgary so not that far from Vancouver. For example I have the complete set of original lobby cards and have framed two of them. I also framed the 27 X 40 1989 re-release poster (O'Toole standing on a mound in the desert) although I'm not particularly fond of that one. I have one unmounted poster and have attached a picture of it. It is 27 X 40 and on the back it says "Lawrence of Arabia IS HR71/74. Bought it some years ago at E-Bay and can't remember how much I paid for it. I also have the book by Adrian Turner that you mentioned but unfortunately mine is not pristine. I accidentally tore one page which I have taped up but would obviously be worth less than yours. However I have never considered selling i[ATTACHMENT=471]LOA.jpg (5,130k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]t.

2. JoshZ

JoshZ Second Unit

3. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

We can only hope and pray that preservation stocks will continue. Digital cannot be trusted for long-term protection.

4. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Supporting Actor

Joe Bernardi
    I finally got around to watching the Blu-ray. Excellent picture and Blu-ray. After the scene with Lawrence and the match, when the sun starts coming up in the desert, there's what appears to be an upside-down reflection of the sun on the left side top of the screen. Was this an actual reflection from the desert, a reflection on the film, or something else?

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    It's in the optics, and quite normal.
    RAH

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I didn't want to start a new thread on this and couldn't find an opened thread on the subject matter, straight to the point, its the 60th anniversary of Calamity Jane and the fiftieth anniversary of The Great Escape, are there any plans to release both on blu ray. ?

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    The Great Escape is already announced for BD release in June for the UK so I expect the Region A to be announced for the same time period.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Escape-Blu-ray-Steve-McQueen/dp/B003BIFR8I/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1362598380&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Escape-Limited-Steelbook-Blu-ray/dp/B00BMMCE90/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1362598440&sr=1-2

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
  9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    That's good news then, does it need any restoration work, are they using an older film scan and high definition master or have they done a new 4K scan. ?

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yes, work has been done on it and there are articles on the internet about it. I believe TCM is showing it at their film festival coming up in the coming weeks.
    http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/films/the-great-escape.php
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/323946/the-great-escape-50th-anniversary-restoration-tcm-showing-in-2013-along-with-probable-bd-release

11. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    http://www.studiodaily.com/2013/03/shoot-like-kubrick-with-these-rare-zeiss-f0-7-lenses/

12. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Screenwriter

Stanley
    Here's an interesting read from back in the day (1989) courtesy of in70mm. http://issuu.com/mr_in70mm/docs/the_70mm_newsletter_issue_02?mode=window&viewMode=doublePage

13. Guest

Hmmm. TCM has THE GREAT ESCAPE as from 1926 (!). Obvious typo, but even still, 1962 would not be accurate. I believe it was a 1963 release.

14. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Just ordered "The Great Escape" using the FoxConnect website link...only 2 months to wait before it arrives...at $14 a copy, this title is a no-brainer purchase for any fan of this classic movie!!! I CAN HARDLY WAIT!!!

15. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    Maybe TCM is running the silent version with Douglas Fairbanks in the Steve McQueen role, Milton Sills in the the Charles Bronson role, Ronald Colman in the part played by Richard Attenborough and John Gilbert in the James Garner role!:laugh:

16. sharkshark

sharkshark Stunt Coordinator

Hey, guys, long time no see... I was fooling around with a very old DVD of STANDING THE SHADOWS (still very much wanting a BD of that release!) - it included a semi-HD copy of the film on the second disc, which due to DRM won't play any longer. I was digging in, and found this gem from Amir (you still around, sir?) http://www.avsforum.com/t/242566/first-high-def-dvd-released-in-wmp9/30#post_2055910 oh, DRM, you make my life miserable sometimes... I'm the guy that actually buys the discs, yet I'm the one that has trouble playing the stuff. Sigh... Anyhoo, some might be amused by this - I finally sat down and watched ZHIVAGO - my thoughts (limited to 500 words!) are here: http://twitchfilm.com/2013/02/full-disclosure-twitchs-lists-of-shame---february-part-2.html Finally, I think some of you might find this video amusing from a recent trip to Cozumel: hope everyone's still digging their LOA discs...

17. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Cinemark is screening LoA next Wednesday, 20 March, at 2 and 7. If you missed it the first time around and you live near a Cinemark, here's your chance to see it. In Plano, TX, it will screen in the XD auditorium. I just saw West Side Story there today. The Saul Bass title sequence did not have a fade to black. Makes one wonder about why they couldn't get the BD right...

18. Lawrie Raskin

Lawrie Raskin Stunt Coordinator

I think you echo my thoughts about Dr. Z. — A quite decent film in many respects, but not LOA. And thanks for the link to the Julie-Peter thing.
    Nice piece of work, Jason. I had no idea that you were a diver or a documentary videographer. And I appreciated the integration of (the more subtle portions of) that theme music. Very cool.
    Still can't quite believe that it's possible to have such a stunning version of my favourite film in my home. To paraphrase Homer Simpson (kissing his newly-installed 'illegal cable'), "How can one little plastic and aluminum disc bring so much happiness!!!". [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Supporter

Robert Harris
    http://www.studiodaily.com/2013/03/game-of-thrones-1995-style/

20. ShellOilJunior

ShellOilJunior Stunt Coordinator

I respectfully disagree. Lawrence is the better film to be sure but Zhivago is a great film, too. Lean's direction, Jarre's score, the acting, the sets, etc -- all very fine. Several years ago I had the opportunity to see it projected and was knocked out by the film, particularly the beautiful editing in the second half of the film. I couldn't fully appreciate this watching it in previous viewings on home video.