What's new

Which used AVR: Yamaha RX-V863, Onkyo TX-SR705, Marantz SR5003, DENON AVR 3300? (1 Viewer)

SonicWomb

Auditioning
Real Name
Rhaegar Targaryen
I'm building a surround sound system around a set of Boston Accoustics T1000 tower speakers. I'll add a Boston Acoustics center channel and BA bookshelf speakers for the surrounds. At some point I will drive the T1000s with my Nakamichi TA-3A, but I want an AVR that can work without the Nak as well. The Nakamichi will also take care of music listening, so the AVR is strictly for HT. No subwoofer for now, the T1000s have good tight bass. This is for an open room with a cathedral ceiling, very spacious. I'm considering a few different used AVRs that go for around 200 or less. Are these good choices? Do any of them stand out? Am I missing any choices in that used price range? Yamaha RX-V863 Onkyo TX-SR705 Marantz SR5003 Denon AVR 3300

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yamaha RX-V863 Excellent choice. Onkyo TX-SR705 Easiest to use Marantz SR5003 Last of the "true" Marantz. Be prepared for this to be the essence of "You do what, to get it to do what?":jawdrop: Denon AVR 3300 This doesn't have HDMI

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This might be worth the crapshoot. It could be the person who has it has no clue how to set it up... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-AVR-2808CI-7-1-Channel-110-Watt-Minor-issue-/400388734184?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item5d39073ce8 Nevermind...these barely crack $200 properly functioning...they just don't show up often.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is a good choice. Both remotes and the Ipod dock...and there are two BIN sitting on $250 which should impede bidding on this one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-AVR-2308CI-7-1-Channel-700-Watt-Receiver-Bundle-Remotes-Microphone-Manual-/380591797446?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item589d09f4c6 Ok here is an example of "maybe it does, maybe it doesn't"... The 2308 does NOT have pre-outs...the 2309 does...but the 2309 frequently sells $400+...probably because the 2308 lacks the pre-outs. Most people buying AVR "in this class" expect pre-outs. Ok, so the 2309 doesn't have pre-outs(there is one with a bad HDMI board on Ebay) either. So...Denon 28 and up...ending in 08 or higher... 2808/2809(but these are rarely under $500)

SonicWomb

Auditioning
Real Name
Rhaegar Targaryen
Yeah that 2308 is nice but no pre-outs means no using my Nakamichi for the front channels. I saw that 2808 and thought the same thing, maybe the seller just doesn't know how to set it up. Sounds like the Yamaha RX-V863 or the Onkyo TX-SR705? I like Yamaha's emphasis on substance over style, but then that is purely an aesthetic consideration. Both designed in Japan, both made in Malaysia. I understand that Audyssey works a bit better than YPAO. Is that reason enough to opt for the Onkyo? Seems like these are set and forget, so audio performance would be a better deciding factor. After doing some research, it seems the Onkyo has slightly better audio performance? Some reviewers claimed the Yamaha is harsh when pushed, and one mentioned it has a "cool" sound. I have an older Yamaha stereo receiver and noticed the same thing about the cool, distant sound, so I'll probably go with an Onkyo. Edit: Read quite a few reviews of Onkyo AVRs with quality control issues, apparently this Onkyo model has a bad HDMI board design, or at least a poor cooling design that leads to premature HDMI board failure. Now it's down to a Yamaha RX-V863 or a Denon AVR-2807. The Denon goes for a bit more used, but I suspect the sound quality is superior to the Yamaha? Edit: went for a Denon AVR-2807. The online consensus seems to be that it thrashes the Yamaha in sound quality. Plus the Denon is made in Japan vs Malaysia for the others. Will post back once the system set up. Thanks for your help, Sam!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You've made your choice already, but I'm curious about the comparisons of the Yamaha to Onkyo though. Those speak to using them as complete AVRs, not just as prepros, correct? I wouldn't expect the Onkyo 705's prepro section to be better than the Yamaha 863's (for audio anyway). _Man_

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Only thing that makes me nervous about Onkyo is long term HDMI board failures. My former Marantz 8002 was the most awesome HDMI controller Ive ever owned but my current Yamaha 3010 is a close second place for very solid and reliable HDMI performance. My former Onkyo 3007 was a very unstable HDMI controller, and the Sherwood 972 was pretty bad also. As far as sound quality I think Marantz is still the best, at least the 7001 and 8002 I owned were. Onkyo usually has the best bells and whistles, and maybe the best amps, but was the lowest in sound quality. I didnt use any of them as a traditional AVR, pre pro only.

IMO, according to what Ive owned, pre pro sound quality goes:

Marantz
Yamaha
Sherwood
Harman Kardon
Onkyo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks