What's new

Which unit should decode? (1 Viewer)

gtoast99

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
My current system includes a samsun BD C6500 bluray, which decodes to 7.1 analog jacks among other audio output options. I’m using the bluray to decode the audio, and then go to 4 separate amps (front R/L, front C, rear R/L, powered sub), and I’m not using the full 7.1, just 5.1. This works out okay, except that I have to control the volume on each amp separately. This means if I want to turn the volume up or down just a little, I have 4 separate knobs to do it, and I can’t do it by remote control. So I’m picking up a used Outlaw 950 preamp/processor so I can remotely adjust all the volumes at once via the preamp. The outlaw comes with optical in (and the BD has optical out), but it also includes 5.1 analog in.

Here’s my question: should I have the bluray decode the audio and send it via analog outs to the outlaw 5.1 analog ins to volume control before going to the amps *OR* should I go optical from the bluray to the outlaw and have it decode the audio? What are the pros and cons of each method? Thanks in advance!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Optical will only carry DD and DTS. Your BD player is decoding the new, high def audio formats. Use the analog connections for the best sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks