1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

which type of amp should you use for a sonotube sub?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by drexel, May 3, 2003.

1. drexel

drexel Active Member

Since most sonotube subs aren't really convenient for attaching the standard parts express plate amps, which subwoofer amplifier do you/shoud you use for a standalone sonotube sub? Is there a subwoofer amp that doesn't have its internals exposed to be hidden in a traditional sub? For example... what type of amplifier would this http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bpsdesigns/index.htm dual shiva sonotube use?

2. ColinM

ColinM Well-Known Member

There are a few component-style amps with sub features - NHT makes several, but the high powered ones are spendy. Buttkicker has one, but I haven't read up on it.

I used an NHT SA120 and it worked very well with my 20*39 SVs.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Well-Known Member

Any amp will work. The features on dedicated "subwoofer" amps are largely superfluous if your driving it from a sub out jack of a HT receiver. Even some funky 70's era garage sale or attic reciever works fine if it has some power. On my sonosub in a stereo steup, I just use the third channel of a 3 channel amp- same amp that drives the mains.