What's new

Which time period should HBO tackle next? (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

I agree. Now that Six Feet Under is over, they should give Carnivale another season.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Wow, there was alot of serious T and A on Rome. Holy crap they showed alot of trim!

Oh, and the show wasn't too bad either.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
How about Vikings.

I also like the ideas about the Revolutionary and First World Wars. The pirates one was pretty good too.

We don't see much of the Korean War either. A big budget Vietman series would be interesting as always.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
That depends on how much of Jefferson's and, um, Franklin's private lives they get into. :D

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Seriously, I'd like to see a "Band of Brothers" style treatment of the U.S. submarine war in the Pacific during WWII. There's so much possible story there (defective weapons, idiotic bureaucracy, incompetent commanders), that it would have to be a great subject.

Basically, I want a 10-12 hour American version of Das Boot.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
The Pacific War
It's basically Band of Brothers 2, but not based on any real people, specific people anyway. Spielberg is producing

I think if HBO were to do any kind of future sci-fi show, they should pick up Firefly, so Joss can tell it however he wants.

So far Rome is interesting, I haven't finished the first episode but at this rate HBO should totally find some more period pieces to develop.
A show set in the early A.D. period, maybe events leading up to Jesus' death, that seems to be fairly popular today, be it if your religious or not.

I like the idea and the casting of the American Revolution, but Hopkins has already played John Adams, I wonder if he would be into playing Franklin, playing his own friend, ehe.

TimJS

Second Unit
FDR's administration wd be a rich vein to tap, fascist coups, Soviet Spies in the White House, OSS formation, depression, floods, dust bowls, Prohibition, Lincoln brigade...that's just the non-fiction stuff from America! It's endless.

Jazz age 20's wd be great as well/Hollywood/etc. Awesome music available from this era.

Carnivale has always been too Lynchian for my taste, tends to take itself a bit more serious than Lynch does as well... my opinion, only reason I bring it up is to say I think the era it deals with could be done in a much different way.

More exotic (from a WASPish POV), Venice, the Medici, Medieval Europe in general, plenty o' sex & murder.

my 2 cents.

Tim

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
This would never get made, but the History Channel series sparked my interest in a depiction of the first early centuries of Christianity (say, 33-500 A.D.). Now, "Rome" might touch on this experience, but probably not.

I just think it would be fascinating to see an attempt at a realistic depiction of at least one apostle's life after the crucifixion.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Sorry forgot that it was John Quincy, I should remember, The Adams' are related to me, and I liked Amistad.

George Paul, I agree with the one about one of the apostles life. Maybe something around the time of the Council of Nicea, but there would be too much of a time stretch between 33 A.D. and 323 A.D. But yeah I'm with you there anyway.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i'd really like to see a good revolutionary war period piece, but not sure what kind of plot you could come up with that hasn't been done a hundred times before. maybe something based in the upstate new york region rather than the usual boston setting.

or maybe a french and indian war story, concentrating on benedict arnold, his trip up the kennebec to quebec, the ticonderoga battles, etc.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I'll wait a few episodes for final judgement, but so far Rome doesn't measure up to Carnivale.

BRING BACK CARNIVALE!

I'd like to see them do founding fathers or sci-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks