1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Which time period should HBO tackle next?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Alex F, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Alex F

Alex F Stunt Coordinator

HBO seem to have proven themselves the masters of the period drama TV show, with the Old West in Deadwood and the Depression in Carnivale, and what looks to be another winner in Rome. So, what should they do next? The middle ages? Revolutionary War? Personally, I think a World War One mini-series would be absolutely incredible.

2. RickGr

RickGr Second Unit

The future?

3. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

Civil War or Revolutionary War wouldn't be too bad. Salem Witch trial period or the first group of colonials coming to america.

4. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    I also think they should tackle the future. A sci-fi series on HBO could break all the rules of television science fiction (or movie sci-fi, for that matter) and could, finally, present an uncompromising, mature look at the genre -- which could go a long way to changing the perception of science fiction as roller coaster or matinee fare.

5. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Pirates!

Arrrrrr Matey!

(Or maybe a Patrick O'Brien-esque deal about the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars.)

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Sounds like Battlestar Galactica on Sci-Fi...

7. Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell Screenwriter

Greg K.
    HBO's definition of "uncompromising" would be to add swearing and more T&A.

8. Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer Supporting Actor

Medieval or The american Revolution would be perfect.

9. BobSmith

BobSmith Agent

Feudal Japan

10. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

They should go back to the Depression, and bloody well bring back Carnivale. (We start getting season 2 next week here in NZ, and it's going to be hard watching knowing that this is it.)

Otherwise, Victorian England would be quite interesting. Look at some of Dickens' writing to see where you could get some great dark HBO-friendly material out of the period.

11. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I think they should go with modern day Baltimore.......like maybe a season 4 of The Wire.

12. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Last week. [​IMG]

13. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    Middle Ages!

I would like to see the black plague in all of its brutal glory...call me weird. [​IMG]

14. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

How about the days of King Arthur? Or maybe Charlamagne? Sometime in the dark ages.

15. Lloyd White

Lloyd White Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to see something that would have some relevance to what's going on today...kind of like, how more things change, they just stay the same. That type of deal I could go for. Something with some balls though, like revealing a part of history nobody wants to talk about, or outright does not believe in, but it's still true and the drama riveting. I think there are some rather large secrets still being kept in this world, like secret societies, that could be explored. That's what I'm always interested in, the secret history of the world not recorded in the history books.

16. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    How about the Christian Crusades?

That would be interesting TV plus it would be pretty topical in a sense.

17. Alex F

Alex F Stunt Coordinator

My suggestion of a World War I mini-series would fit this nicely, I think. It's a war that hardly gets any attention (at least in comparison to the other wars of the 20th century), and it's probably the bloodiest, most horrifying and hellish war the world has ever seen. A Band Of Brothers-esque (and by that I mean pure gritty, in-your-face-ness and production values) version of World War I would be truly amazing.

18. Jan H

Jan H Screenwriter

World War I is an excellent suggestion, and I agree that it gets little attention. I think part of the reason for that, though, is that WWII is largely seen now as the culmination of all the carnage of the 1st war, and with a clear resolution, the rise of the Iron Curtain notwithstanding. Anyway, if HBO produces a WWI series, I'd be pretty excited.

I really like the idea of a Revolutionary War series. Casting directors take note: The story of Washington (Tim Robbins), Jefferson (Eric Stoltz), Adams (Philip Seymour Hoffman), Hamilton (Ralph Fiennes), and Franklin (Anthony Hopkins), would be both enlightening and entertaining, though not exactly sexy like Rome or the Sopranos would be. Still, knowing how faithful to a period HBO likes to be, it would certainly show us all how, for better or worse, this country has changed in 230 years.

19. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I think how well Rome does will determine if HBO makes any more series that are period pieces. If it doesn't attract viewers, I think we'll be seeing more HBO shows that are set in the early 21st century[​IMG]

20. Jan H

Jan H Screenwriter

Very true. One more hour before Rome. Can't wait!