What's new

Which story in Creepshow did you enjoy the least? (1 Viewer)

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad to see that there are some fans of this old movie, and that some even remember the old E.C. comics. I recently moved to a new apartment, and I finally found my old box of comics! (I was a child of the 80's, but my parents schooled me with their collection of E.C., R. Crumb, and Furry Freak Bros. comics.)

Here's a question that I have. Some of my friends were just discussing Creepshow, and I commented on the fact that I always believed that the two movies were tributes to the old E.C. comics and were able to generate enough interest for two television shows, Tales from the Dark Side and Tales from the Crypt. (Both of these shows began their run when I was young, and I couldn't remember if Dark Side was in production before the first Creepshow or not.)

Here's a question, though. Somebody said that The Raft had also been done in one of the television series. Is this correct? I thought that it could be possible, but I didn't remember.

Also, is there any hope for a Tales from the Crypt dvd collection?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Alex's tastes -

FATHER'S DAY - 2
JORDY VERILL - 4
SOMETHING TO TIDE YOU OVER - 5
THE CRATE - 5
THEY'RE CREEPING UP ON YOU - 4

I loved the situation that existed in "Creeping" which is probably why I liked it so much. Really hit a chord with my SF sensibilites. But Tide and Crate have the best performances.

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
Wow, great respones.:emoji_thumbsup: I didn't think many people would
care, what with all the new fangled movies debuting on disc.

David Fisher:

I would wager that the Tales From The Crypt
television series will be released someday, as for Tales From The Darkside I read (can't remember where) that there
are plans to release it in season sets. 2004 seems to be the estimated release date begining with the first season.
However, as we all know these things can and do change, we'll see.

P.S. - The Tales From The Darkside intro music has got to be the spookiest theme of all time, coupled with the nightmare tint to the visuals and the baritone voice of the
narrator - - I'm getting goosebumps just thinking
about it.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Great discussion of a damn good horror anthology. I sincerely dig all of the stories in the original Creepshow, though the cockroach bit would be the first I'd skip over if I had to.

StevenA

Second Unit
Actually, Michael Gornick directed "Creepshow 2" ... he was the cinematographer (of all things) for the first one.
Oops. I was confusing it with the Tales From The Darkside movie, which John Harrison directed.

I think Creepshow managed to capture the EC spirit very well all in all (and when it differs from the EC style it doesn't matter anyway, IMHO, because it's a great piece of work in its own right).

But we should also mention (since we're listing quite a few of the EC-inspired films and TV series) the Amicus movies from the early 70s: The Vault of Horror and Tales From the Crypt. I've only seen Vault, and it was interesting, but didn't have the EC feel at all, from memory. I think all of the stories from Vault, even though they were EC stories, came from non-Vault titles like Tales From The Crypt or The Haunt of Fear.

I discovered ECs back in the 70s via a set of one of the reprint series, advertised in the back of Famous Monsters of Filmland (any fans of that magazine will remember the pages and pages of black and white ads at the back!!!) I then got hold of some of the beautiful hardcover EC reprint sets (black and white contents, color covers). I've always dreamed of owning a few originals, though.

Anyway, when I read about Creepshow before its release, and salivated over some pre-release stills in the horror mags (no internet back then!), I was so excited I could hardly wait for the film to open. It didn't disappoint.

Alphonse Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I love this movie ... all of this talk is making me want to spin it right now (and I'm sure I will sometime this month).

Anyway, if you all can, try to find the actual "Creepshow" comic book tie in from the movie. I purchased mine mail order many years ago, and I'm sure there are some for sale on eBay.

The interesting thing is that the order of the stories in the comic book are as follows: "Father's Day", "Jordy Verrill", "The Crate", "Something to Tide you Over", "They're Creeping Up on You". This may have been how the earlier cut of the film presented the stories by putting arguably the strongest story ("The Crate") in the middle instead of 4th.

The book also includes the flashback scene of Aunt Bedelia's fiancee and his "hunting accident" in the "Father's Day" tale that was cut from the movie, but that you can see a snippet of in the theatrical trailer.

"What's the matter Mr. Pratt? Bugs got your tongue?"

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
One thing that is often taken for granted in Creepshow is the cast - it's an awesome cast! They could easily have picked some low-budget faces, but how did they get Leslie Nielson, Hal Holbrook, Ed Harris, Viveca Lindfors, Adrian Barbeau, Tom Atkins, Ted Danson, E.G. Marshall, etc? Superb.
Probably a combination of George Romero having good casting instincts and the fact that some of those cast members were either just starting out or weren't above doing a crazy horror movie :) Ed Harris in particular had already worked with Romero on Knightriders (on that dvd's commentary they mentioned that Ted Danson allegedly refuses to acknowledge that he was ever in Creepshow. Sad, really).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks