What's new

Which shows have you abandoned? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator
I've abandoned quite a bit...I really just got season one of most just to have a little nolstalgia for my house...

Flintstones-Have 1 & 2 but won't get anymore.
Lost in Space-Just nolstalgia

Stuff I WILL still collect is very few.

One more season of A-team, Superfriends, Batman animated series. Basically, this is my lineup for the coming months as to what I WILL get...

A-team season 2
Seinfeld 4
Superfriends 2
Batman animated series 3
Marvel Superheroes 1966 June 28th

It's not much is it?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The problem isn't so much the Quality but it's the time TV on DVD requires a huge committment to watch. I have so many Disks that I've been cutting back they will just never get watched and they usually cost enough to make me feel bad they are sitting on my shelf, compared to a $15 movie per se.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Smallville: Stopped watching very early this season. Wow did it go downhill. It was always kind of to dopey and family like, but yikes. I might rent the season when it comes out on a rainy weekend just to complete it.

Alias: I agree the first 2 seasons were pretty damn great. Season 3 was a choir to sit through. Haven't seen season 4 yet.

Buffy: Another show with too many dopey moments. But, some of the earlier seasons were quite stellar. By the end, it was just a waste of time. She should have stayed dead.

The Spinoff to I Love Lucy: Absolutely ghastly and I pretty much liked the original show until the end.

Sopranos: I pretty much stopped watching when everyone else did.

There are really so many shows over the years that I would need a journal to keep count.

P.S. Jon F,

If you think that S3 of Three's Company was bad (I kind of like it), never see the spinoff that came after the show ended.

That show made every season of Three's Company (even the bad ones) look like some miraculous achievement of film and comedy in comparison.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I've kind of abandoned MASH after the end of the third season, not because I didn't like the way Fox Home Video was handling the DVD presentation, but simply because I just never got around to getting the other seasons. I might get back into it with the final season and/or episode.

I'm also likewise with Star Trek: DS9 S7 and ST: Voyager S1 and S2, not because I don't like them (I have everything else Trek-related on DVD), but simply because I haven't gotten around to getting them yet.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
NYPD Blue in their last season..

Survivor since last season..

Third Watch since last year..

Tried to get into 24.. Couldn't stop screaming at the TV everytime that gorgeous but brain-dead daughter of Jack's showed up (Elisha Cuthbert?)..

Same with Alias.

Edit:

Whoops.. Thought we were talking about series that we watch on TV..

In that case, I don't collect TV DVD's.. I may make and exception when it comes to Deadwood.. God DAMN, what an awesome show..

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If I purchase a show I like on DVD, I hope to get the whole show, even if it means purchasing seasons that I do not particularly like, because I tend to consider all seasons, no matter the quality, part of a cohesive whole.

Rusty_W

Auditioning
I tend to buy a lot of Sci-fi, Comedy, and Cartoons series so...

Sci-fi:
Sliders Season 4 and 5 -- I'll probably avoid if they ever release those unless they are half the price of what the current set sold for. It's pretty painful watching those on Sci-fi so I don't know if I want to get them or not.

Stargate SG-1 -- I really cannot get into the recent seasons of Stargate and I certainly won't buy those.

Andromeda -- I bought the DVD set 1 part 1 dirt cheap at K-marts, but never watched it. I can barely stand it on Sci-fi. Better off watching Sorbo in Hercules.

Star Trek TNG/Voyager -- The sets are so darn high that I will only pick them up used, but I'll probably will never manage to get them all. Only managed to get 4 sets so far. I won't get DS9 or Enterprise.

Red Dwarf -- Season 7 and 8. I'm a huge fan of Red Dwarf, but season 7 and 8 are painful to watch. It's still a year away from these releases, but I am feeling that I should stop now at season 6 and try to forget 7 and especially 8.

The Avengers -- Emma Peel, why must you be so expensive? No Peel? No deal! I won't get the New Avengers or anything without Peel. I only managed to get 6 Peel DVDs so far.

Space 1999 -- Bought the first two sets, but have not watched them yet. Probably won't ever buy the others.

Doctor Who -- I just don't like the 3rd Doctor enough to buy all of his repetitive "oh my it's the Master again" episodes. Of course this is assuming I won't die before they release all of the shows on DVD. And from what I seen of the 9th doctor, I'll probably won't touch those on DVD at all.

MST3K -- Too repetitive after a while, and I really don't like Joel, so I will probably not buy those unless I get them cheap, but I have yet to see used MST3k cheap or used in the wild.

Lexx -- I only have one DVD as there was only one episode I really liked (the game show one, as I'm a huge gameshow fan), but I have no serious intentions to buy the rest.

Comedy -- I guess almost all the comedy series I buy are ones I plan to complete except for:

News Radio -- Last season. I'm sorry, but it really went downhill without Hartman. That Lovitz is really pretty terrible and annoying when he's not "The Critic". John Lovitz's acting = It Sinks!

Cartoons:

Simpsons season 8 on up -- I'll live without unless they are under $20.00 a set. It'll be tough to get me to get any from 12 up even at a cheap price.

Pinky and the Brain and Elmira -- Ok, I know that Pinky and the Brain is not out on DVD yet, but it will be someday and it's high on my want list, but I so will not touch that darn Elmira season.

Pokemon -- Yes, pokemon, the show that goes on for some 250+ episodes now. I gave up collecting this after 20 DVDs or so and I'm 99% sure it's about 70 DVDs now. I gave up on at least 20 anime series after a few DVDs because they either sucked or the prices was too high to finish.

Powerpuff Girls -- I bought them cheaply, but I can barely stand them. I won't buy more unless they are in cheap season sets. I assume I'll end up doing the same thing with almost all the non "Adult Swim" Cartoon Network stuffs that I watch every so often like Totally Spies, Teen Titans, Hai Hai Puffy Ami Yumi, Grimm Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Johnny Bravo, Dexter, etc. One DVD would be enough for me until they make proper season sets.

Spondgebob Squarepants -- I gave up on the single DVDs and thankfully about 6 months later they decided to release the season sets, which I bought. So I gave up and restated, which reminds me of a few others that I done this with...

Married with Children, My Favorite Martian, Andy Griffiths Show, Twilight Zone and Star Trek TOS -- The recent collections are the way it should have been done from the start. I gave up on collecing all these single DVD releases only to restart with the season sets. But I guess this would be a different thread about giving up and restarting.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
ANGEL. I still haven't made it through much of season three, and unfortunately, I had already purchased season four (still unwrapped, BTW) before I realized that I didn't care for the show anymore.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,
I've seen THREE'S A CROWD, not recently though. I loved THREE'S COMPANY as a kid and was really looking forward to THREE'S A CROWD.

I don't remember Jack's girlfriend's name but I remember thinking she and her father were horribly unappealing. I'll take your word for it and stay FAR, FAR away.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Three's a crows is a classic example of the producers of a tv show not knowing what the Viewer wants. If they had Paired Jack up with Janet the show could've had a chance.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator

I agree with your first sentence, but I would have much prefered to see Jack get together with Chrissy. He REALLY wanted her in the first two seasons.

Well...let me be more specific. I would want to see Jack with the Chrissy of the first two seasons. I have no desire to see Jack with the snorting buffoon called 'Chrissy' in seasons 3-5.

And before anyone says it...yes, I realize that the Suzanne Somers situation made the return of Chrissy impossible.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah what was up with all that Snorting anyhow?

I have probably abandoned

Sanford and Son
Married With Children

I'm more inclined these days to pick up classic TV rather than new series

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Two points -

We're now JUST getting our first Delgado master on disc. Being flooded with Master episodes is a LONG way off.

Pity you're not giving the new show a chance. The first episode is pretty damn soild, and the remainder of the series sounds great.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Married with Children.

Definately agree with this one too.

A few more:

Sanford and Son: Started to get crummy near the end. If that wasn't bad enough, we had to put up with the spinoffs.

All in the Family: The end of the show and it's spinoff "Archie Bunkers Place" were just not for me. The only saving grace were the 5 or so episodes of Archies Bunkers Place were the original cast members made guest spots. It's the only time it felt like the original show. The Thanksgiving episodes where Mike and Gloria come back from California for example.

Diffrent Strokes: The show went through some big changes. It went from being a straight comedy in the first couple seasons to some type of melodrama with dashes of comedy thrown in. I guess thats why it's ratings went down hill. Who can forget the child molestor episode where they actually have laughter in the background? This was one of the strangest episodes of a comedy show probably ever. We went from getting visits from those ghastly Facts of Life Girls to Kimberly having weight problems The family tends to go through one thing after the other as the seasons go on. Lets see. At least 3 members of the family have been kidnapped at various points. An 18 year old Arnold still likes to sit on peoples laps. Arnold and Dudley come up against a child predator. And more. This family has probably had the worst luck in the world even being rich.

P.S. The possibility of Chrissy returning was very possible at the time. Somers wanted to do it, but the producers turned her down. Though after all the troubles she caused with the show, you can't really blame them. This along with the other cast members making guest appearances throughout would have led to a successful spinoff probably. It would have definately gotten better ratings at least when it started.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sanford: I bought the first season, but I initially refused to buy season 2 because of a cut episode. That doesn't bother me so much any more, but I just don't have the inclination to buy any additional seasons. The show's return to TV Land right as the sets came out took the wind out of its sails.

Quantum Leap: I'd love to continue it, but I won't with music replacement.

As for having Chrissy in a Three's Company spinoff, I wouldn't want it. From what I've seen, she's pretty proud of the hideous caricature the character became, and I'm sure that's the version she would have brought on board. I've seen her say, "I *made* Chrissy! I gave her the funny walk and the laugh!" Yeah. Great. You ruined a perfectly good character. Besides, she thinks she was the star. Ha. Jack made Three's Company from episode 1 onward.

Jeffersons: Nothing against it, but I simply haven't even thought of buying anything beyond the first season. Maybe one day I'll get back into it and catch up.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
"Basically, this is my lineup for the coming months as to what I WILL get...

Marvel Superheroes 1966 June 28th"

I haet to be the bearer of bad news but that set got bumped for the 90's Fantastic Four set.

My list so far is:

Sanford and Son- Season 5 was none too good.
X Files- eventually I will finish it but I haven't gone past 6
Absolutely Fabulous- after that first sbox set, they just stunk.
I almost didn't finish Star Trek: TOS in the inital 2 episode discs but I got them as gifts.

Wezzo

Second Unit
Diff'rent Strokes S6+: Season 5 is the last season of the show I enjoy.

The Flintstones S3+: Two seasons is enough.

Red Dwarf VII and VIII: VIII was an improvement over VII but neither are worth the cash in my opinion.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator

GAH!!! If I had not said something about the Suzanne Somers situation someone else would have said, "It wasn't possible for her to come back because of her relationship with the producers."

So I say something about it and you say, "Well, it was possible, if it just hadn't been for the producers!"

Could I possibly have said it in anyway that would have made ME be the correct one? ;)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The last few seasons of the Jeffersons are not worth getting. The two part episode of Lionel and Jenny divorcing to kick off Season 11 was a disgrace, and then even more ridiculously the show forgot its roots when there was a Sammy Davis, Jr. guest episode and Louise didn't bring up their meeting before in the very famous AITF episode.

Jeff'Reys

Auditioning
Ellen. I'm only interested in the 4th & 5th season and possibly, if I'm feeling spendy, the 3rd season. The first 2 seasons were bland, imo.

Dukes of Hazzard. Only interested in a handful of episodes from the series entire run. Doubtful I'd buy a full season for 1 or 2 episodes. Same with Northern Exposure. I only liked one episode from its entire run and I'm just not interested in owning a whole season let alone entire series.

Other than that, I believe in dancing with the one that brought you. If I generally like the series, regardless of major changes or downhill shift, I'd still buy the whole series worth as I'm a completist. That means all of Dallas, Dynasty, Laverne & Shirley, Simpsons, Jeffersons... It'd look sinful to have 6 volumes of Falcon Crest on the shelf and not complete the set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks