What's new

Which screen? Free Infocus screen, DIY blackout or DYI white board from Home Depot? (1 Viewer)

Frank_D

Agent
I have a pull down 76 inch screen that was free with my Infocus 4805 but have just been using my wall while finishing up my basement. Before I put up the screen I wanted to check some other options.

I really like the look of the fixed screens more and have heard great things about the DYI blackout cloth option. I also saw Home Depot has this white board which is like $15 or something and looks like it would work fine.

Which one is going to give me the best picture? The pull down, DIY blackout cloth or the white board?

Although I like the look of the fixed screens better I don't want to take a step down if the pulldown gives that much of a better picture.

Any input would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Frank, if the 76" screen is big enough for you, I would stick with that. I used a blackout cloth screen for about 6 months, and it was just too dull white. Now I use a painted sheet of MDF and it is much better.

Frank_D

Agent
Jim, the size isn't the issue. I would make them all about 76 inches.

I was just wondering which one of the three would really give me the best picture. I would think the pulldown would have the nicest at first but I would worry that it would start to get creases after awhile of going up and down. I have seen them in some of the conference rooms at my office and they don't look that great.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't like sending people to other forums but AVS has a section dedicated to DIY screens. They range from blackout cloth to Parkland Plastic to painted mirrors. There are also numerous recipes for paints on any of these screens.

-Robert

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I had a 92" DIY screen made from black-out material, hung my rebate screen in front of half of it & watched Terminator 3. I could not really tell any difference between the two. I was glad because I didn't want to spend the money on a real 92" screen. :) I just rebuilt my theater with a 105" painted Goo screen, but haven't compared the two yet. Going from memory though, I think it reflects more light? Once I paint my ceiling darker, I can tell better. If you like your rebate screen, keep it. I did the DIY to get a bigger screen.
Dave

Frank_D

Agent
drobbins- You answered my question. If the DIY screen is as good as the pull down I would prefer that. I am not only concerned with the picture quality but also how it looks on the wall. They look like plasma's to me, at least in pictures I have seen.

Did you put a border around it? How does it look close up?

THANKS,
Frank

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I use the white board and painted it with Behr Silver Screen. The colors straight out of the Infocus without calibration are awesome. I will calibrate this weekend.

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
I did the same as Kevin, the home depot white board and Behr Silver Screen. Thought I might experiment later with the "magic" tints that people suggest on AVS, but this current screen is very good.
JP

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Frank,
Here is a link to my Old Theater . It was ruined by a house flood :angry: . Anyway my new one is almost complete. :) I had under $70.00 in the screen. I sent you a PM.
Dave

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
i just painted the screen right on the drywall in my basement with behr silverscreen. Then i framed it off. It looks great. I had patched the wall and made sure it was perfectly smooth and sanded before painting and it looks great. When i get time im going to paint the rest of the wall black.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks