What's new

Which progressive scan DVD player should i get? (1 Viewer)

Jae_P

Grip
I plan on getting one very soon so i need some help on choosing the right one.:D I just bought a Toshiba 50h71 and my interlaced DVD player needs to go. I only want to spend about $250. I dont even know which brand is good so id be happy to hear some suggestions. THanks.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
My brother-in-law just purchased a Panasonic RP-56 and I must say, I'm very impressed with this PS player. The picture quality seems outstanding. No chroma bug!

There is a Sony (model number is xx700xx) that I've heard good things about, but I believe it does in fact have the chroma bug (if you notice this).

I believe both of these players can be had for under $250.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
as an alternative, have you thought about a scaler/line doubler instead of throwing out your interlaced player? I bought an Iscan v2 (no component input) and run everything through it except for HDTV signals. It cost me $350 and allowed me to get a better picture from my VCR (*sigh*) and my LD player (*yea!*) while GREATLY improving the dvd picture imho. I have a Panasonic CV-50 interlaced changer and a Pioneer Elite DV-36 progressive changer. The Elite has a decent internal doubler, but I turned it off completely once I bought the Iscan. I think that's been one of the best investments I've made for the HT in recent memory.

Of course, this is just an opinion.

Regards,

~~Nathan

I just got a Toshiba SD3750 yesterday and so far it looks great. I will be able to give a better review in a few days as I also got a Toshiba 34HF81 TV yeterday and I am still in tweak mode. However, after spending many hours connecting and setting things up I put on The Fifth Element just check out a couple of fav scenes. WOW!!! I ended up watching the entire film. The SD3750 was putting an excellent picture on the screen.

Shanthi

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony DVP-NS700P and very happy. It has a chroma bug but IMHO no big deal and it is I believe under $250.

Jae_P

Grip
Thank you for the link. It was very interesting and also very confusing. In the article it said something about the picture losing resolution when using a progressive scan dvd player. So does this mean that getting a progressive scan player might not improve the picture but instead make it worse for some tvs?? Then how do i decide if i should get one or not? Could someone explain this to me in lay mans term. If thats how you spell lay man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks