What's new

Which processor would you pick for $3000US (1 Viewer)

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm from Canada but the majority of the members are from US so I'd set my budget to US $3000. So far, 2 came to my mind would be Anthem AVM20 2.0 and Classe SSP-30MKII. For another $1000 or so, I have more selections such as Aragon Stage One, Primare SP31.7 and Classe SSP-60.

I'm sure these are fine processors but which one would you pick and why?

Which one is more music oriented? I'm listening to at least 50% music and 2ch is VERY important. However, I'll need to use the onboard DACs from the processor since I'll be using digital connection from the CD changer to processor.

Here's what I currently have:

MartinLogan Aeon as fronts
MartinLogan Cinema as center
MartinLogan Script as surrounds
MartinLogan Descent Sub
Aragon 2005 5-ch 200W amp
Sony TAE-9000ES Processor
Sony CDP-CX350 CD Changer
Sony DVP-850D DVD Changer
Panasonic RP-82 DVD Player
JVC 9500U SVHS VCR
Sony JB-930 MD Player
Bell ExpressVu 5100 Sat Receiver/PVR
Sony 34XBR800 TV
Panamax 5300 Power Center

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
I demoed the Anthem with Martin Logans... the sound is superb; excellent imaging and detail. I bought the Anthem.

I can't comment on the Classe, having never heard it.

AndrewA

Stunt Coordinator
For its price point, upgradeability, and commmitment to keep their software tweaked by what the buyers want, Anthem's AVM-20 is really hard to beat.

I demoed the Aragon Stage One and the Anthem at the same time (my dealer let me take both home) and the Anthem matched the Stage One in all the paces I took them through.

Good luck in your choice!

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Simon,

Are you sticking with 5.1? Do you need 5.1 inputs? Do you have rack space constraints? Would you consider used gear from the U.S. (ie, Audigon)?

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
I would also look at the Sunfire Ultimate receiver; Awesome HT and music playback especially with the built-in sonic holography technology, it really adds depth to the music play back.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Since your in CANADA why not go Bryston SP1.7 (with the accompanying video switcher if you need video switching).

I would assume you could find some deals up there.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
hmmmm....personally i'd go with a used aragon soundstage (oh wait, i did ;)). especially if you're primary interest is 5.1 and you have no intention of upgrading. the soundstage can be upgraded for $850 to the same internals as the stage one but that deal only lasts until the end of june i believe. good luck.

kevin t

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, I went by the dealer on Friday and I took home with the Primare P31.7 to demo. They're having a demo sale and all the ones I like are on sale - Primare P31.7, Anthem AVM20 2.0, and Aragon Stage One.

I really like the Primare P31.7 and the detailness of the sound is no match with the Sony TAE-9000ES. Even with movie, the difference is definitely there and quite obvious. My favorite demo scene is Matrix where the lobby turns into a warzone. The bullets dropping on the grounds make the Primare shines.

I like the simplicity of the Primare, however, I do find the community is very small with Primare. Unlike Anthem, I can find thousands threads about it as far as tweaking and support.

I'm still un-decided but I need to let the dealer know which one is the keeper. I'm hoping to ask for the Anthem so I can have both at the same time to do A/B listening. They're very nice to me and let me borrow the processor for few days now. They do know I'm keeping one, but which one, they/I don't know yet.

There's one feature I'm very concern about the Primare is input switching. The remote that comes with it doesn't seem to have any direct input buttons such as Tuner, CD, DVD, etc. This is very important to me as I run SLinke along with CDJ, between mp3 and CD I can preset the input with the existing Sony processor so it automatically switch to the right input doesn't matter if I'm listening to CD or mp3. I definitely wouldn't want to miss out this feature.

Your comments would be much appreciated,

Simon

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
other ones in your $3000 to $4000 price range include:

ATI (brand new, got a good review in one of the mags)
Sunfire TGIII (only 1 crossover setting for all channels, great stereo sound imo, easiest to use)
Rotel 1098 (not even out yet)
Fosgate (I have only seen pictures of it)
Naim AV2 (If I had to guess which processor had the best 2 channel without listening to them, would be this one, no video switching)
Arcam (very good reviews, took forever to come to market)
Krell Showcase (trimmed down Theatre Standard)
AMC ?
Proceed ? (I would have to imagine that Harman Intl. has something in that range)

As well as the ones you mentioned and the ones others have (bryston, B&K, Anthem, Parasound, & Aragon)

If I care about audio quality the most with features being a distanst second, I would check out the Naim and the Classe's first.

If I wanted the most flexibility with great sound, I would check out the Anthem and the Sunfire first.

Lot of stuff to check out, have fun :)

Rich

Jeffrey Getzin

Auditioning
If you don't need 5.1 inputs for DVD-A/SACD, I don't think there's any better buy out there than the Lexicon MC-1. Because of the arrival of the MC-8 and the MC-12, they can be had for a song, especially used.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks