What's new

Which player: PS3 or the Sony BDP-S300? (1 Viewer)

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
As far as the PS3 goes I have a question. Is it the 80 gig PS3 only that upconverts , and not the 40 gig? And , is the upconversion on the 80 gig really that good? I've only seen 1 post in this thread commenting on the quality of the upconversion and I'd like to hear some more. I have a lot of standard dvds and quality upconversion is a HUGE selling point for me.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Every PS3 ever made upconverts. As to the quality of upconvert the general concensus is that the PS3 is one of the better.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Thats good to know. The only reason I questioned this is because of what I read in another thread here in the HD section. Someone asked about using the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player in their theater and it was stated that,yes, it should work fine as long as you don't need upconversion for dvds. Thats why I was asking. I will definately keep it in mind. I want to wait and see what kind of reviews the Panasonic BD50 gets.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Hehheh. The context of that Q&A was for analog component video output, not HDMI. :D They all upconvert via HDMI, but not via component out, which is how nearly all upconverting players work.

_Man_

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
My mistake. I misread the thread. I do have a question though , since you seem to have considerable knowledge on upconversion and hd in general. My projector (Sanyo PLV 60HT) is about 5 years old and of course, does not have HDMI inputs. S-video and component only. I do want to upgrade my current dvd player to a Blu-Ray by the end of the year , but don't really want to get rid of the projector as of yet. So, since I will not be able to upconvert without HDMI , will I see any kind of improvement playing my SD dvd's on a Blu-Ray player? Or will they pretty much look the same as they do on my current dvd player?

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
How does the PS3 compare to the Sony 500? I would love to get the PS3, but I really want analog audio outputs, as my receiver does not have HDMI connections, and I do not plan on getting a new one anytime soon.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks