What's new

Which out-of-print DVDs do you regret not buying? (2 Viewers)

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the Ultimate Toy Box and the Criterion Spinal Tap.

I also mention a deal I got screwed out of in a recent previously viewed retailer that had Phantom of the Opera (Universal Monster Collection, I know the Legacy Collection is making up for it, but still) and the 2 Disc Manhunter with a low serial count number and they were being sold at an affordable price with the case but the employee refused to sell to me because "we don't have the DVD, they didn't send it to us, just the case". (These are both out of print) This is a poor excuse for any place that sells previously viewed stuff, why put it on the sale floor when you know there's no disc and save the time by sending it back to where it came from and raising hope to a buyer only to deflate with a piss poor excuse. That means I could bring in a case, have it scanned, take the credit/money and run.

It's a bad example and I got screwed out of a primo deal just because someone didn't bother to look out of their own impatience (someone was looking to cut me in line and pushed for his PS2 game) It also goes to show that one person in a workplace with no other employees in site is help to no one.

"These are my operatives and at some point they must assist me. I can't do everything myself"- Jake Gittes (Chinatown)

All of this relates to two Out of Print titles that I wish would've been in my hands sooner, but no one knows what kind of situations in life they will take that a sacrifice of curiosity and put off can result in a missed opportunity.

GaryEA

Second Unit

My jaw dropped when I read that, not because of the prices, but it reminded me that my first year acting teacher in college was in that movie. I think his last name was Brady...

Sorry, didn't mean to divert the thread. :)

-g

Lev-S

Second Unit
Ultimate Toy Box
The Living Daylights (One of my favorite Bonds, alas only available in the big box set) :frowning:

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Les Vampires
Thought it was too expensive for a single dvd-18, now it's going for $150 and more....

Also Silly Symphonies, but fortunately Disney released it in Europe recently.

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
Another one for The Killer Criterion... saw it discounted at a store but had no money on me (nor a DVD player at the time) :frowning:

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator

Maybe it's your chance to buy the 4-disc R2Japan or R3Korea edition of Dances With Wolves (faux leather packaging). The R3 Korean edition has been ridiculously reduced in price because the movie isn't popular in Korea.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
And I believe the Korean release is actually R0 too. Its major problem is the fact that it only features English subtitles for the whole movie and not for just the Indian parts though.

Yo can get it pretty cheaply here.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Thursday"

I looked at it at Circuit City for a year. When I decided to pick it up I couldnt find it anywhere and after doing some online research found out it was OOP and going for a ridiculous amount of money on ebay

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I purchased the OOP Hard Boiled:Criterion Collection at a retail store a number of years ago. Something came up and I needed some cash and returned to the store, unopened, for a refund! What was I thinking? :frowning:

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Alfred Hitchcock Criterion Collection box set.

I first learned of its existence shortly after it went out of print.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Little Shop of Horrors ---- the first release with the black and white footage.

Brent

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I'm really regretting not picking up The Blues Brothers for $9.99 at Best Buy a few months back because now I'm looking for it everywhere and nobody has it. :angry:

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom

Because they could care less about treating their customers like real people. They'd rather everyone clamored for something after they've created a rabid initial demand. John Berger's had a lot to say about it here.

Titles I'm kicking my own ass for missing: CC's Killer & Hard-Boiled & Spinal Tap. Several Bond flicks: Goldfinger, TWINE, Dr No., TSWLM.

I was lucky enough to get CCs RoboCop & The Unbearable Lightness of Being, & Silence/Lambs. I was really happy to get a copy of Elite's Millennium Night of the Lvg Dead thru Amazon, no stores in my area had it or could even order it.

Aeon Flux. I know it's just a few episodes and not the whole series, but I'd still liked to have bought it for a reasonable price. I really enjoyed the series when it was on TV, but for some inexplicable reason, I kept putting off buying the DVD. Maybe now there's a film version on its way, they'll re-release the DVD.

I was regretting not buying the Criterion version of Dead Ringers, but then someone pointed out that it was also released in the Netherlands, so I have a copy on order. :)

Later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks