What's new

Which Onkyo Receiver For Us?? (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If your CD player uses digital, you can "stack" the digital on top.
Meaning you can use "CD" for both. When the cd player is off, the receiver takes in the analog. When you turn on the cd player, then digital takes over.
I do that on the SR707 as I have my CD player(DX390) connected tos-link, and a Belkin F8Z connected analog for the Ipad/Ipod/phones/computer.

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by schan1269 /t/315605/which-onkyo-receiver-for-us#post_3991213
If your CD player uses digital, you can "stack" the digital on top.
Meaning you can use "CD" for both. When the cd player is off, the receiver takes in the analog. When you turn on the cd player, then digital takes over.
I do that on the SR707 as I have my CD player(DX390) connected tos-link, and a Belkin F8Z connected analog for the Ipad/Ipod/phones/computer.
I know that the cd is at least 12 yr old....a Sony unit that has a carosel to hold 50 cd..............can't remember the model number off hand right now. As far as a pre amp goes, would this one work with the 509 http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pyle-PP444-Ultra-Compact-Phono-Turntable-Preamp-Converts-Phono-to-Line-Level-/150876025014?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true

Thanks!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It isn't the AVR that "works with the pre-amp"...
It is your turntable that works with the pre-amp...
But that is the same thing I linked, just a different brand.

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by schan1269 /t/315605/which-onkyo-receiver-for-us#post_3991227
It isn't the AVR that "works with the pre-amp"...
It is your turntable that works with the pre-amp...
But that is the same thing I linked, just a different brand.
O.K. cool, looks like I maybe able to use just the 509 for everything then.a

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way there are three models of Sony 50-disc on Fleabay(53/55/57), all three have toslink...
It is very rare for a "mega changer" to not have it. Toslink was created in the early 80s.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, if you buy two more 50 disc, you can daisy chain them together. But the daisy chain only works analog.
And, 2/3 "chained" is faster cause the one(s) not playing will prep a disc while they wait, so there is no lag.

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by schan1269 /t/315605/which-onkyo-receiver-for-us#post_3991237
By the way there are three models of Sony 50-disc on Fleabay(53/55/57), all three have toslink...
It is very rare for a "mega changer" to not have it. Toslink was created in the early 80s.
Good, then it probably has it then. I'll check when I get home tonight--Thanks!!

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
UPDATE:........................ Finally got up and running after a few months of piecing together a combo. Ended up going with the Onkyo 509, a Precision Acoustics center speaker and my old pair of Sound Dynamic tower speakers and the sub. VERY impressed with the sound quality from it--I have nothing to compare it to but we are happy with it. Now, my final question...............I need a BlueRay player now. We really don't watch a lot of movies but the odd time we do I'd like to have the option of the player. What should I be looking for as far as options? Is WIFI really usefull or more of a marketing ploy, probaqbly wouldn't pay for Netflix but I suppose it would be nice to have that option. Considering how little we will use it, I don't want to spend over $150. Any Advice is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
After looking at my Sony CDP CX-50, it only has RCA jacks. Hooked it up to the Onkyo 509 and it sounds great. Actually made an easier install than having to run optical cable 20' under the floor since I already had the RCA there.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I think the 50 is the only one not to have toslink...
Glad it is set-up. You don't need to spend $150 on a BD player. Any of them under $100 is fine.
If you doubt you'd use Netflix, no need for the app...
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BD77-Ultra-Fast-Booting-Blu-ray/dp/B00752R4Y6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355334717&sr=1-1&keywords=panasonic+dmp-bd77

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Ordered the Panasonic 77, waiting for it to arrive. Really like the 509 as I have my CD, turntable (with a pre amp) and a cassette deck hooked thru an A/V switch. Better sound old Kenwood receiver that we only used for the stereo components. Thanks for all the help Guys and Merry Christmas!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Rebel Racing said:
Ordered the Panasonic 77, waiting for it to arrive.  Really like the 509 as I have my CD, turntable (with a pre amp) and a cassette deck  hooked thru an A/V switch.  Better sound  old Kenwood receiver that we only used for the stereo components.  Thanks for all the help Guys and Merry Christmas!!
Back in the "stone age" of HT, when VCR ruled the roost and there were no STB...yet.
My original AVR with center speaker(all my HT prior to it where front/rear only) was the Technics SA GX650. Friend of mine still uses that dinosaur...
Anyway, it only had two video inputs. Back then, I used two VCRs in the HT so I could watch a show while recording 2.
I bought VCRs that had front AV inputs so I could connect Atari/Nintendo to them...much like you are using the AV switch now.

Rebel Racing

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by schan1269 /t/315605/which-onkyo-receiver-for-us/30#post_4017588
Back in the "stone age" of HT, when VCR ruled the roost and there were no STB...yet.
My original AVR with center speaker(all my HT prior to it where front/rear only) was the Technics SA GX650. Friend of mine still uses that dinosaur...
Anyway, it only had two video inputs. Back then, I used two VCRs in the HT so I could watch a show while recording 2.
I bought VCRs that had front AV inputs so I could connect Atari/Nintendo to them...much like you are using the AV switch now.
Showing my ignorance...what is "STB"???

kvining

Auditioning
Real Name
George Jones
I'm looking at this one on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160784637977?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
The power rating is low, but I would actually use it as more of a Pre-processor than an actual speaker driver, since I have separate power amps running front, center, surrounds and rear. Any thoughts on this appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Would could you possibly use the NR616 as a pre-processor?
And how is "100 watts" low?
What are you pushing and how loud do you need it to be?

kvining

Auditioning
Real Name
George Jones
I'd simply use the pre-outs to push seperate amps and not attach any speakers to the receiver. I am assuming a 100 watt amp section means a 100 watts divided by 7 channels, that's not much of an amp. if they are claiming 700 watts for a $300 box, well, I doubt it sounds very good in all ranges. I have a large living room, I'm running four power amps, three Carvers and an Onkyo averaging about 100 watts per channel each, pushing mostly Klipsch speakers, and I use an HK AVR 230 in the same fashion I describe. It works well. The neighbors call the cops at around -16db. But I don't have Dolby TrueHD, so this looks like a good way to get it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
kvining said:
I'd simply use the pre-outs to push seperate amps and not attach any speakers to the receiver. I am assuming a 100 watt amp means a 100 watts divided by 7 channels, that's not much of an amp. I have a large living room, I'm running four power amps, three Carvers and an Onkyo averaging about 100 watts per channel each, pushing mostly Klipsch speakers. The neighbors call the cops at around -16db.
There is one significant flaw with your plan...
The NR616 doesn't have pre-outs.
The 2nd thing you apparently don't realize...it is "up to" 100 watts per channel x 7. Not 100/7.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This AVR does have pre-outs though...
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR717-7-2-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B007JOO4YS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356561101&sr=1-1&keywords=nr717
And the current "AVR with pre-outs raging bargain" is...
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR809-Certified-7-2-Channel-Receiver/dp/B00505F01E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356561158&sr=1-1&keywords=nr809
But the NR809 sucks enough juice off the wall, it can actually come close to really providing 100x7.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks