What's new

Which is a "safer" bet: Going the DVD-R/RW route or +R/+RW route? (1 Viewer)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Quote:

"Which is a "safer" bet: Going the DVD-R/RW route or +R/+RW route?"
-----------------

I believe DVD-R to be the "Safer" bet. However, both are non-standard and neither can be guaranteed to work on all machines.

BTW there are CD players that do not play ALL CD-R media so you see what I mean, right?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Thanks for the info Tom...that would be a nice set up for my bedroom.

Well, I went to Best Buy last night just itching to buy something. As usual, they had no stock except for the Panny HS2 and it had a posted price of $999..HOWEVER, having done my research, their (BB) website sells it for $699..Hmmmm....I asked the kid what was up, and all he said was that he would sell it for $699. I pity the poor dude who walks in off the street and takes the HS2 for the posted price.

SO tempting, but my inner voice said to hold off...I finally decided that I'm going to let the 24 Month deal go by and get the Panny E80S 80gig recorder when it's released and best of all, I bet it'll be close to the same price.

By then I'm sure I'll see another 24 month deal.

Unless something else more enticing comes along, i think I'm sold on the Panasonic.

Thanks for all the input and clarifications.

Stephen Sherman

Auditioning
Hi all,

I've been following this thread with great interest, as I'm in the market for a recorder as well. I went to Best Buy yesterday and, unlike Alf's experience, they had the Panasonic HS2 shelf sticker listed as a clearance item and the price was $699. All they had was the floor model, which they offered to sell me at a 15% discount, which would bring the price down to $595. I decided to "sleep on it", but I'm strongly considering goinb back and getting it at that price, if it's still there, before the 24-month offer runs out.

BTW, the 4-year service plan for DVD recorders was $200. Would it be worth buying that as well?

Steve S.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hey Stephen,

Glad to see they marked it correctly.

First off, I wouldn't pay $200 for an exteneded warranty, it'll probably end up never being used and more gravy money for BB. Heck, I think the manufacturer offers a year warranty anyway, and if something weird came up, I bet it would show up before the year was up...just my .002 cents.

My wife just called and said "go get your toy" and any other time I would have run to BB and done it, but considering how often BB does the 12-18-and 24 month deals, I'm sure one will come along after the 80 model shows up this July. Plus the E80 will be cheaper than the HS2 most likely.

She said some of her girlfriends want to pay me to copy all of their wedding videos and baby videos, so I've found a great new side business to boot!

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I personally will buy the extended warranty when it comes to optical recorder. They tend to fail after awhile. I had the laser head failing problem after using my Pioneer PDR-05 standalone CD recorder for a year, HP/Sony/Philips/Plextor CD writers after about a year, DMR-E30 after 6-months of usage.

Bear in mind I burn use at least 100 hours a month for any of my recorder, except my Pioneer DVD recorder which I use about 200 hours a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks