What's new

which HT projector do you suggest? (1 Viewer)

ARM420

Agent
Real Name
Tony
I'm thinking about buying a new one... leaning towards something like the the optoma hd20 (or gt750e because its alot cheaper and 3d but only 720) or the viewsonic pro8200. Would like to stay in that price range somewhere. Will mostly be used for gaming/netflix on my ps3.(which is going through an a/v receiver with 1080p upscaling if that makes a difference in choices somehow). Don't watch a whole lot of blu ray movies but maybe once a week or so. From what I've read the only huge difference between a 720p and 1080p projector is with blu ray stuff... idk how true this is or not. Anyway. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see what suggestions anyone can give back. You guys haven't steered me wrong yet lol :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Considering neither one of them has squat for placement flexibility...you need to find out if either works where you think you want to put the projector... If one works...the other doesn't...there is your purchase choice.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The HD20, to produce a 100" image needs to be 11 to 13 feet. The pro8200....needs 10 to 16 feet...and more "clearance" than the HD20.

ARM420

Agent
Real Name
Tony
Placement isnt gonna matter too horribly much. I have enough options for rearranging the room I can accommodate finding a spot for it. But yes I'm aiming for a screen size somewhere between 80" and 120"

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
To elaborate on what Casey said, the bigger the display the more important having 1080p over 720p, front projection is the poster-child for this rule. Only thing I have against 3D is the drastic loss in brightness and pop when you put on those glasses, and projectors that do have the brightness needed for acceptable 3D performance will sacrifice accuracy in other areas to make it happen.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I recommend you buy a 1080p projector. To recommend anything, we need some more info. 1) Throw distance(distance from lens to screen) 2) Screen size 3) Will you ceiling mount it or use a shelf? 4) Ceiling height

ARM420

Agent
Real Name
Tony
Like I said the posistion of the projector isnt really a big deciding factor to me. Wherever it has to be put ill be able to make it work. From 5 feet to 20 feet back. Ceiling/floor. Not really gonna be a problem. I'm more interested in the bang for the buck.. picture quality,performance, durability. That stuff

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The best projector under $1,000 is probably the new Benq W1070. Two more that will work for you are the Acer 6500 and Benq 5920.

ARM420

Agent
Real Name
Tony
The benq5920 is looking pretty good right now. I feel like the reviews and specs are just a little better (and its newer). And its 100 bucks cheaper right now

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks