What's new

which HDMI DVD player is good and reasonably priced? (1 Viewer)

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
I'm about to buy the Sanyo PLV-Z4. I have a 96' screen and I need a good DVD player that has HDMI. I can't possibly spend alot of cash on the DVD player. I saw the Pioneer elite 59txi for $700.00 and I almost laughed. I have a Outlaw audio 990/7125 combo. What is a good DVD player that has HDMI, and can convert 480 to 720p or 1080i that doesn't cost a fortune? Someone mentioned Oppo. Do they have a model that does all of the above? Thanks in advance.:)

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
The Oppo DV971H is very good but has DVI, not HDMI. It would still work well, I am sure, but I think one of these three HDMI players would be the best at about $300 or less:

Panasonic DVD-S97
Denon DVD-1920
Panasonic DVD-S77

All players available to date that have HDMI, also upscale to 720p/1080i.

Chris

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. Thanks for that great info Chris. My Outlaw unfortunately has DVI not HDMI, so I don't think that is an issue. I will definately give all those a look.

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
I assume you're using your Outlaw as a video switcher?

DVI-to-HDMI adaptor cables are commonplace. So don't let that dissuade you.

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I dont mind going DVI to HDMI and vice versa. I'm just saying that the Oppo would be fine for me as well as the others listed above. I was looking at the Denon. I just don't know if it's worth the extra dough. I figure I will be switching to Blu Ray or HD DVD in a couple years whenever the price comes down.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm definitly thinking about a Denon 1920 to gow with my new Panny AE900u projector. The problem is I have the Denon 3200 receiver, which has 5 point one analgue inputs, which would be PERFECT for this dvd player, EXCEPT that I also have optical inputs from my Xbox/360 and cable box... So I can either upgrade the receiver to one that does DD and DTS decoding natively or I could just skip the SACD and DVD-A... Of course, the reveiver I want is the Denon 3806 which is over $1k =(

Decisions decisions =(

Sam

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I've had the Oppo 971 for a few months now and I'm quite satisfied. Don't expect the digital, upscaled pic to look like HD. It won't. That's coming from somebody who does 1080i, D-VHS. Just the same, it's been a good player for me with no issues so far. After, I played Batman Begins on the Oppo and it looked so poor, I put the disc in my Denon 2900 with the same grungy result. I played Stir WarZ III, well-done IMO, on it twice this past week and it was impressive!
For $200, I'm satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks