What's new

Which films would like to see get the Criterion treatment? (1 Viewer)

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Another vote for anything by Martin Scorsese.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Coming up on a close second to Vertigo as the film title I've posted most often on HTF:
BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"People always clap for the wrong things." - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.
Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here.

Stas T

Stunt Coordinator
Two For the Road
Bedazzled (1967)
The Devils
Lenny
All That Jazz
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
The Long Goodbye
Short Cuts
Modern Romance
Death and The Maiden
Flirting
Moonlighting (1982, director: Jerzy Skolimowski)
Deep End (1970, director: Jerzy Skolimowski)
Slacker
Seconds
After Hours
Day For Night
The Red and the White (1967, director: Miklos Jancso)
Ed Wood
The Bicycle Thief

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
At the risk of getting my ass handed to me, I really don't get why everyone puts so much stock in 'Criterion' releases. I mean I think they're great, but they don't generally put the most extras on their releases. I would like to say Titanic, but I would much rather have an edition with as much extras as the T2: UE has, and 'Criterion' never puts THAT many extras on their discs.
Look at the 'Criterion' release of RoboCop, it's aweful, non-anamorphic, scarce extras, even the ratio is presented wrong, the movie was composed for 1.85:1, but the dvd is like 1.66:1 or so, and the price, forget it. Like I said, I generally think 'Criterion' is great and they usually put out outstanding transfers (except ones like 'RoboCop'), but I don't know if I would entrust a movie I love as much as Titanic to them. They would'nt give me what I want as far as a special edition goes for this film.
Please, be gentle.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"
Leonard from Memento
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 06, 2001 at 10:06 PM]
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 06, 2001 at 11:26 PM]

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I love all the choices made by members of this forum in this thread, but I can't help think about all the film snobs that are probably laughing (or more appropriately scoffing) at you folks
frown.gif
. Have any of you people read the other two major Criterion threads out there? Good lord, they'd get a heart attack if they saw your choices. What I'm basically trying to say if anybody supports your choices, it'd be me.
My pick would be the unlikeliest
Dune
Is it true that David Lynch doesn't like things like deleted scenes and chapter stops?
P.S. Hey Rain, that title, since A. I've never heard of it and B. it was in huge caps, what is it about? IMDB doesn't even have a basic plot info on it. All it has are crime and drama as descriptions. Sounds interesting.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
My DVD Collection

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Ikiru
Throne of Blood
Ugetsu Monogatari
Sansho the Bailiff
Life of Oharu
Tokyo Story
Zentropa
Metropolis
Strike!
Belle De Jour
The Exterminating Angel
And any other Ozu, Mizoguchi, Bunuel, Kurosawa, and Bergman in the Janus Library.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Here's a few flicks I'd like to see Criterion get ahold of: Santa Sangre
Now there's a movie I have not heard anything about in a very long time! What a unique, strange, interesting movie. This would be a perfect title for the Criterion treatment!
[Edited last by Rob Tomlin on September 08, 2001 at 12:51 PM]

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Elem Klimov's Come and See
Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru
Jean Vigo's Zero for Conduct
F.W. Murnau's Sunrise (Although Fox might be working on this)
5-disc set of the Laurel and Hardy sound shorts
Aaron Norris' Top Dog (I couldn't believe that ebay auction was a fraud!
frown.gif
wink.gif
)
Evan
------------------
"* * * * * * * * * * * * *" - Buster Keaton
S&S: 22 films left
Most recent: L'Atalante

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Oh, and freakin' Trouble in Paradise too. Supposedly one of the great comedies of all time, this Lubitsch film has never even been available on video.
It'd be nice to see it in my lifetime.
Evan
------------------
"* * * * * * * * * * * * *" - Buster Keaton
S&S: 22 films left
Most recent: L'Atalante

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
DREAMCHILD
The first project for Jim Henson's Creature Shop and one of my favorite movies. This film, written by Dennis Potter, is not currently available on home video.
Jim
------------------
NUQULER??
"Because Texas is his adopted home state, that's why."

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
The Usual Suspects ... This is the one of the most cutting edge movies of all time ...
Momento ...
Mo' Better Blues ...
And anything Steven Seagal ... Just to get an insight on what the F@#$ he's thinking by letting someone film him running ...

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
GoodFellas
One of my favorite movies and one of the best films of the '90s. Another Scorsese masterpiece.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The following titles that were released on LD would be nice additions...
The Asphalt Jungle
Bad Day At Black Rock
The Makioka Sisters
Ikiru
Floating Weeds
Throne of Blood
Chungking Express
A Night At The Opera
Life of Oharu
Also
Sunrise
Metropolis
Greed
And John, rather than rip you a new one for wondering what is so special about Criterion :) I'll refer you to this previous thread that discusses some of the reasons some folks ( including yours truly ) really, really like Criterion's approach to their releases...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/029454.html
Regarding Robocop, this was an early release before Criterion 'got' 16x9 enhancement. Despite the non-anamorphic transfer the title still is the definitive version because a) It features a great commentary track with Verhoeven and Neumeier ( amongst others ), b) it features the uncut director's version, and c) the color balance is ( to my imperfect memory ) a much closer match to the theatrical release, when compared to MGM's recent release.
- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks