What's new

Which DVD (IYHO)has the best picture/DTS/Dolby 5.1 mix? ie, to show off your rig :) (1 Viewer)

Josh Q S

Stunt Coordinator
Of the DVDs I've experienced on my setup, it seems Star Wars: Episode II has the best picture and sound by quite a large margin. I heard Oceans Eleven was shot completely digitally too, and I've heard great things about the picture quality.

Can anyone recommend some DVDs that are of exceptional quality in picture, and/or sound? Thanks for any contributions!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
"Ocean's Eleven" was shot on film using the Super 35 process. (It was Steven Soderbergh's first 'scope' production. I believe, though I'm not positive, that "Solaris" was shot in anamorphic widescreen rather than Super 35, but I know for sure that O11 is Super 35.)

However, "Ocean's Eleven" was projected digitally in some theaters, which perhaps is the cause of the confusion over whether it was film or video. (I personally love how the film looks; more information can be found in the American Cinematographer January '02 article, avaliable online at http://www.soderbergh.net/articles/2...atographer.htm)

Hope this helps.

Josh

P.S. - I'm sure everyone has their own favorite home theater demo, and since I probably have the least impressive setup of anyone here I'm in no position to make definitive demonstrations. That said, when I do demos, I like to use the extended version of Fellowship Of The Ring, or any segment from Fantasia 2000. For showing off music videos, you can't go wrong with Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band: Live In New York City (that I was at that show doesn't hurt either ).

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship... IMHO is the best for audio. The DDS EX 5.1 track is mint.

For video... I'd have to go with Star Wars Ep. II, although there is some edge enhancement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks